Tall Bodybuilders?

This is an article by TC that might be of intrest.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;?id=461061

Check out Shannon sharpe. I think he is like 6’4". This is a small pic, but inspirational nonetheless. The link was broken, but go to 'google images" and type shannon sharpe eas.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;?id=461061[/quote]

I understood most of this stuff already. Just helps hearing it from someone else who isn’t short. My main workout buddy is 5’8, so he doesn’t understand a think I tell him. Every time he says “You need to work on your benching!” or “Go lower on your squats!” I just want to strangle his ass. He gets mad when I tell him that power lifters are better short, and taller people have trouble lifting heavy.

I’m not going to stop powerlifting, no matter what!

[quote]TwistedLocal wrote:
Hey demon hate to break it to you but just cuz your tall doesnt mean that shorter people “envy” your height. Im 5’7" and honestly couldnt give two shits if I was taller. Its what your born with and thats who you are. Its like saying that because your a certain race that people “envy” you.[/quote]

???

Does anyone know where I can purchase “TC’s Friggin’ Big Book of Knowledge”?

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461061[/quote]

What I’d like to know is how big these guys’ wrists are. I’m a small-framed (6.75" wrist) 6’4" so it’s pretty difficult for me to put on a ton of weight. Ferrigno’s wrists in that posing photo look pretty small and even though I’m sure he was on steroids it would be inspiring to know that small-wristed guys can put on some mass.

do you mean like big boned people or just people with small wrists

Well, small wrists I would assume are generally indicative of a small frame. I remember several years ago there was a maximum bodyweight calculator link posted here in the forum, and I entered my measurements, height, wrist size, ankle size, and it generated a theoretical maximum bodyweight which corresponded pretty accurately to a lot of the lifters who posted on that thread. For me at a body fat percentage of 10, it calculated my maximum bodyweight as being around 215. It would be really nice to know if there are guys who have similarly small bones who have managed to surpass their “genetic ceiling.”

I think we’ve heard a few times on this site that you shouldn’t let yourself get limited by dogma on wrist size or other limitations.

If you want it, make it happen, and to hell with the theoretical limits. Heh, my wrists are not very big, but there is an advantage to it.

People notice ratios, inherently, of body parts, so having small wrists can make you look quite big or I guess “attractive” to the eyes of women do to the ease of getting the right ratios.

Who knows. I don’t know if I qualify as tall though, I’m only 6’.

well i have average sized bones according to the middle finger thumb test where if you put your middle finger around your wrist and touch your thumb you are average if you cant touch you are big boned and if you overlap you are small boned well i weigh 250 not all muscle but you can see significant definition

Don’t listen to that bullshit. You can get way bigger. I’m 6’4", have small wrists, and plan on getting way bigger. 215 is just the beginning.

[quote]pomofo wrote:
For me at a body fat percentage of 10, it calculated my maximum bodyweight as being around 215. It would be really nice to know if there are guys who have similarly small bones who have managed to surpass their “genetic ceiling.”[/quote]

My wrists used to give me problems alot, they’re pretty skinny. Fish oil helped, I think.

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
My wrists used to give me problems alot, they’re pretty skinny. Fish oil helped, I think.[/quote]

I hurt my left wrist January 1st of this year. It still hasn’t gotten any better yet! The long bone connecting to the outside of my wrist hurts when I strain it with heavy weight. Is there any way I can heal my damn wrist and do preacher curls without any agony??? Wrist supports don’t seem to help at all.

[quote]Original_Demon wrote:
GriffinC wrote:
My wrists used to give me problems alot, they’re pretty skinny. Fish oil helped, I think.

I hurt my left wrist January 1st of this year. It still hasn’t gotten any better yet! The long bone connecting to the outside of my wrist hurts when I strain it with heavy weight. Is there any way I can heal my damn wrist and do preacher curls without any agony??? Wrist supports don’t seem to help at all.

[/quote]

THAT BONE? That bone gave me problems on both wrists. Then I started taking fish oil tabs. It seems fish oil tabs is a natural anti-inflamitory, so it helped alot, or atleast for me it did.

why dont you just not stress it and let it rest remember the word RICE Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation you follow those basic things and it should heal

[quote]Original_Demon wrote:
GriffinC wrote:

[/quote]

Or, since preacher (and most other) curls are a waste of time, just don’t do them and let your sh!t heal. I curl about once a month to get a gauge on strength. Newsflash: all of the rowing and pullups has made my biceps much stronger. As all of the clowns are posing in front of the mirror and performing countless sets of curls, I walk to the other end of the rack and crank out a few reps with some real weight. $.02, BFG

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Jersey5150 wrote:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;?id=461061

I understood most of this stuff already. Just helps hearing it from someone else who isn’t short. My main workout buddy is 5’8, so he doesn’t understand a think I tell him. Every time he says “You need to work on your benching!” or “Go lower on your squats!” I just want to strangle his ass. He gets mad when I tell him that power lifters are better short, and taller people have trouble lifting heavy.

I’m not going to stop powerlifting, no matter what![/quote]

Dude, isn’t Garry Frank like 6’1’'(quote from PLUSA: “Garry is both big and tall”) ? Garry Frank, biggest (WPO) total by nearly 200lbs (2805lbs)? 6th biggest (WPO) squatter ever (1085lbs)? 5th biggest (WPO) bencher ever (838lbs)? 2nd biggest deadlifter ever (by one pound, 931lbs)? Think about that next time you say powerlifters are better short. There’s ur fucking inspiration.

BTW, for bodybuilders, look at 6’10’’ Nathan Jones - the bohemoth Brad Pitt quickly kills at the beginning of Troy.

I hate bringing up the WWE, but here’s a good one.

Batista? Don’t know how to say/spell his name…
pics:

http://www.davebatista.com/downloads/wallpaper/015.jpg

http://www.davebatista.com/downloads/wallpaper/014.jpg

He’s pretty damn big, and pretty damn tall.

How about Nathan Jones (he’s the big guy killed in the first fight by Brad Pitt’s character-Achilles in the movie “Troy”). Okay he’s not exactly a “bodybuilder” per se or a “powerlifter”- but I’m sure he got there from doing a bit of both! ha! He’s an old WSM competitor from '95- Magnus Samuelson broke his arm, arm Wrestling. After seeing him in Troy, I don’t think it held him back that much! ha!
Here’s one link I found…
http://www.upw.com/superstars/nathanj.htm

[quote]TedK wrote:
How about Nathan Jones (he’s the big guy killed in the first fight by Brad Pitt’s character-Achilles in the movie “Troy”). Okay he’s not exactly a “bodybuilder” per se or a “powerlifter”- but I’m sure he got there from doing a bit of both! ha! He’s an old WSM competitor from '95- Magnus Samuelson broke his arm, arm Wrestling. After seeing him in Troy, I don’t think it held him back that much! ha!
Here’s one link I found…
http://www.upw.com/superstars/nathanj.htm[/quote]

Nice link