Talking in Old English

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

The Lord’s Prayer in 11th century Old English. Love the mood of this video.[/quote]

I actually understood parts of that. Being able to read it while he said it helped.

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:
Here’s a bit of Middle English, some lines from The Miller’s Tale from The Canterbury Tales, by Chaucer, written around 1390-95:

[/quote]

Is that before or after the Great Vowel Shift?[/quote]

Hey Grneyes,

That’s not a question I see on here every day! The Tales were written well before the GVS.
[/quote]

I had a friend who dated an English major. I learned a lot. I so wanted to take some of his classes, especially where you learn about the vowel shift and how things used to be spoken and the parts of the throat and stuff that are used when speaking. Unfortunately, there were several pre-reqs you had to take so I couldn’t take them. :frowning:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:
Here’s a bit of Middle English, some lines from The Miller’s Tale from The Canterbury Tales, by Chaucer, written around 1390-95:

[/quote]

Is that before or after the Great Vowel Shift?[/quote]

Hey Grneyes,

That’s not a question I see on here every day! The Tales were written well before the GVS.
[/quote]

Oh yeah…totally different!!! Yikes!

Here’s some beautifully spoken Old English, the prologue to Beowulf. For me, this evokes a traveling storyteller, repeating the epic legend of Beowulf to Anglo-Saxon villagers in a chieftain’s smoky hall.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
.[/quote]

Thou shant be a party pooper.