Talk of the Nation: Anonymous Online Posters

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
I also think that people who are more introverted and who aren’t used to “being the funny guy” or being the type of person who can catch people off guard and make them laugh have a harder time appreciating the comedic value of posters that do tend to post more outlandish comments. I think they tend to read posts and take them at face value and not truly understand the comedic value behind most posts.

There are posts on here where I’m dying laughing and my girl, being curious as to what I’m laughing at, will come over and read the thread and I’ll be lucky if she so much as chuckles. Now she has a great sense of humor in that she’s easy to make laugh and is almost always doing so, but she does not have a real outlandish personality and therefor doesn’t always think the posts on here are funny because I think you have to have a certain mindset to pick up on the comedy of posts when reading them online. Most people who are really outgoing and funny know that a lot of what goes into humor is not only what’s said and not said, but how it’s said, and the body language and tone while saying it. So the outgoing individuals can see a post not only for it’s face value but understand exactly how the OP meant it to sound and can find more humor in it then a more introverted person might.[/quote]

Kinda like when Sickabs asks for Karma’s 13 yo daughter’s pics …

[quote]

That is also why I think many of the more serious posters may think that some people on this site just say outrageous crap and would either never say that in real life or they would be socially awkward and not make sense, when in actuality the complete opposite is true.[/quote]

/me being nice to Andrew

well my exact email to Swidey went:

And I just received a rather disappointing reply:

Wut?

This is bullshit, I keep it real.

Seriously, I am a jiu jitsu black belt and I have a 10 inch cock (soft).

You’re all fakes… and fags!
At least I use my real name, you all know I do work for MuscleMag, and that I live in NJ.

lol

[quote]polo77j wrote:

/me being nice to Andrew[/quote]

You used to be nice to me??

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
At least I use my real name, you all know I do work for MuscleMag, and that I live in NJ.

lol[/quote]

wait … so if I were to venture into New Jersey (like that’ll ever happen) and looked up Dwarf, Iron in the phone book that’d be you?!

I call shenanigans…

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol[/quote]

wait … so if I were to venture into New Jersey (like that’ll ever happen) and looked up Dwarf, Iron in the phone book that’d be you?!

I call shenanigans…[/quote]

I was making a specific ironic commentary, but my cleverness fell short… like me.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol[/quote]

I was making a specific ironic commentary, but my cleverness fell short… like me.
[/quote]

Hamburger.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol[/quote]

[/quote]

like you, good sir, I was being satirical as it is obvious your real name is NOT Iron Dwarf (even though that would be fuckin’ bad ass).

You’re one of my faves, ID. Don’t even forget it

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
I also think that people who are more introverted and who aren’t used to “being the funny guy” or being the type of person who can catch people off guard and make them laugh have a harder time appreciating the comedic value of posters that do tend to post more outlandish comments. I think they tend to read posts and take them at face value and not truly understand the comedic value behind most posts.

There are posts on here where I’m dying laughing and my girl, being curious as to what I’m laughing at, will come over and read the thread and I’ll be lucky if she so much as chuckles. Now she has a great sense of humor in that she’s easy to make laugh and is almost always doing so, but she does not have a real outlandish personality and therefor doesn’t always think the posts on here are funny because I think you have to have a certain mindset to pick up on the comedy of posts when reading them online. Most people who are really outgoing and funny know that a lot of what goes into humor is not only what’s said and not said, but how it’s said, and the body language and tone while saying it. So the outgoing individuals can see a post not only for it’s face value but understand exactly how the OP meant it to sound and can find more humor in it then a more introverted person might.

That is also why I think many of the more serious posters may think that some people on this site just say outrageous crap and would either never say that in real life or they would be socially awkward and not make sense, when in actuality the complete opposite is true.[/quote]

Your girlfriend probably doesn’t laugh because a lot of the humor found here consists of inside jokes.

Replying “hamburger” to a post isn’t going to strike anyone not on this website as funny. 99% of the parody threads are weak sauce, as well.

FWIW, the only poster on this site I have ever found to make me legitimately laugh out loud more than once or twice was pookie.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

lol[/quote]

[/quote]

like you, good sir, I was being satirical as it is obvious your real name is NOT Iron Dwarf (even though that would be fuckin’ bad ass).

You’re one of my faves, ID. Don’t even forget it[/quote]

Likewise, Polo!
I never feel hurt or insulted by your comments, but they do have a particularly enjoyable sting.

Thanks!

:slight_smile:

[quote]Vegita wrote:
I agree, I don’t thinl there has been one or two comments I have ever posted that I wouldn’t say face to face in the right context. I.E. Some statements will take a good reading of the situation and probably be limited by who is present. But some “locker room” shit gets said in real life and some people are just so guarded and introverted they think it’s the anonymity that makes people say such outragous things.

The fact of the matter is that saying outragous things illicits a strong response in others. Illiciting a strong response is a good thing most of the time. If you go through your life and illicit no strong responses from other humans, it means you are a boring turd.

On the other hand, the person who illicits strong responses is the center of attention, or at least a major hub of it and that person is going to have the benefits of said “popularity”.

I think there are two types of people who will use outragous communication to try and illicit strong responses. Those who feel physically superior, be it personal physical strength, or having the backup of a group. And there are those who are master communicators.

People who read other like open books and can tailor thier own communications in such a way that the threat of physical violence is greatly reduced. You could think of these people as “charismatic”. Sometimes one could posess both assets, which make them very formidible in the communication department.

V[/quote]

Yes sir hit it on the head. However online you lose nonverbal communication. A guy who is a diction expert and argumentative ass can dominate a forum even though he weighs 125 pounds and is a fry cook at McDonalds. In the long term the guys who “keep it real” online and have documented proof are the ones who last IMO. In a forum like this when you have people who are dedicated to a goal trolls can drive a response that in real life would not happen.
I guarantee there is very, very few people on here that would argue in real life with Prof X, steel, hungry or Way etc. I am constantly amazed at some of the “old timers” constant battle with newbz.

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]Enders Drift wrote:
Today on NPR they were talking about Anonymity on the internet.

Full Story or Audio if you prefer:

I find it interesting that people are studying this behavior like its some great mystery, it all seemed pretty intuitive to me but then maybe the guy studying it isn’t the one living it.[/quote]

There are hundreds of “useless” studies, like the one in the 1800s linking poverty and education. Did you know that uneducated people tend to be poor? Like, DUH!!!
[/quote]

HAI! Imma umedumikated n iM reech beech!

[quote]SickAbs wrote:

[quote]Kerley wrote:
^ ahem.[/quote]

ahem as well.[/quote]

X2 Fag ← I say that in real life. ← I also bring along poster boards like that so I do not have to explain myself.

you guys have too much time on your hands.

I’d say that to anyone here face to face with a smile.

enjoy

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:
I agree, I don’t thinl there has been one or two comments I have ever posted that I wouldn’t say face to face in the right context. I.E. Some statements will take a good reading of the situation and probably be limited by who is present. But some “locker room” shit gets said in real life and some people are just so guarded and introverted they think it’s the anonymity that makes people say such outragous things.

The fact of the matter is that saying outragous things illicits a strong response in others. Illiciting a strong response is a good thing most of the time. If you go through your life and illicit no strong responses from other humans, it means you are a boring turd.

On the other hand, the person who illicits strong responses is the center of attention, or at least a major hub of it and that person is going to have the benefits of said “popularity”.

I think there are two types of people who will use outragous communication to try and illicit strong responses. Those who feel physically superior, be it personal physical strength, or having the backup of a group. And there are those who are master communicators.

People who read other like open books and can tailor thier own communications in such a way that the threat of physical violence is greatly reduced. You could think of these people as “charismatic”. Sometimes one could posess both assets, which make them very formidible in the communication department.

V[/quote]

Yes sir hit it on the head. However online you lose nonverbal communication. A guy who is a diction expert and argumentative ass can dominate a forum even though he weighs 125 pounds and is a fry cook at McDonalds. In the long term the guys who “keep it real” online and have documented proof are the ones who last IMO. In a forum like this when you have people who are dedicated to a goal trolls can drive a response that in real life would not happen.
I guarantee there is very, very few people on here that would argue in real life with Prof X, steel, hungry or Way etc. I am constantly amazed at some of the “old timers” constant battle with newbz. [/quote]

I would bitch slap all of them, then distract them with a burger.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

There are posts on here where I’m dying laughing and my girl, being curious as to what I’m laughing at, will come over and read the thread and I’ll be lucky if she so much as chuckles. Now she has a great sense of humor in that she’s easy to make laugh and is almost always doing so, but she does not have a real outlandish personality and therefor doesn’t always think the posts on here are funny because I think you have to have a certain mindset to pick up on the comedy of posts when reading them online. Most people who are really outgoing and funny know that a lot of what goes into humor is not only what’s said and not said, but how it’s said, and the body language and tone while saying it. So the outgoing individuals can see a post not only for it’s face value but understand exactly how the OP meant it to sound and can find more humor in it then a more introverted person might.

This basically sums up my thoughts perfectly.

A problem I see with the study is that many people are active at more than one forum. Here and at another, female-dominated, forum I am the 9%. I post infrequently because there is only so much time in the day and unless I’m in the right frame of mind I don’t want to spend it arguing on the internet or talking about my dress-length preferences.

I read for information at both places and at other forums that might briefly catch my attention due to subject matter or content. I’m pretty curious and I read a LOT. Writing takes time away from reading.

However, I am the 1% at a small, private message board, where I post practically my every thought. It’s like a journal of sorts, but shared. Where it falls short for me is that there is rarely friction and I like to scrap occasionally.

[quote]anonym wrote:
FWIW, the only poster on this site I have ever found to make me legitimately laugh out loud more than once or twice was pookie.[/quote]

Sadly, both times were when I was posting my max lifts.