Taking Up Boxing, Equipment?

Hey guys, I will be taking up boxing in the next few months and am wondering on what sort of equipment I should invest in as well as training advice.

I just plan to do real basic stuff. And gradually move my way up.

I will box on my off days as a form of gpp or cardio. I want to add a heavy bag and a speed bag to my gym, and was wondering if you guys have any info on whats good and whats bad.

I know that the leather bags will last longer as opposed to the water filled ones and the canvas ones.

I don’t plan on comepeting anytime soon, if that were the case I would just join a gym and get a coach.

Thanks for the help.

-xb100

Hey, In my experience (muay thai and abit of boxing) i would say join up at a local boxing gym for a while, not some boxercise crap, go to a gym that will teach you to box hard. After you have learned the basics you can go practice on your own, i would still recommend training with someone who knows what they are doing, but make sure you learn the basics first otherwise you will train bad habits.

You’ll probably get a starter pack, or they’ll tell you what you need when you join. I would say get a skipping rope, hand wraps, and gloves (which ones depends on what your oign to be doing). Personally i wouldn’t get the speed ball straight off, just get your punches down first. I don’t know about water filled bags, but leather ones will last. I have a canvas bag and thats been fine for me.

I haven’t done a lot of boxing, but besides hitting the bags it would probably be really helpful to get some mitts and a good training parter. Once you start doing drills with another person, it’s a lot more fun because it’s more sportive and athletic.

Medicine balls are good too, if you don’t already train with those. Mirrors are good too. My teachers always tell me to throw a shadow box for a minute whenever I walk past a mirror, just to check out my form.

Handwraps - 180" get several pair and wash them or they get rank.

Gloves - IMF Tech bag gloves are great, as are IMF Tech training gloves. I have both, but if you’re training with others, get the training gloves. Your hands will thank you.

Cup - I like the compression short style.

Mouthguard - I use a 10 buck Shock Doctor boil and bite (a single). If I was younger and sparing a lot more, I’d get one fit by a dentist.

Jumprope - I dig the ones from buyjumpropes.net. They’re cheap too.

Heavy Bag - I’ve had good luck with the synthetic bags from title. I’m old(er) and my hands are a bit sensitive. The IMF bag gloves make a big difference. I bought a foam lined, water filled bag and it was great until I round kicked it and busted the bladder. For hands only, I’d get on of those. Note that the foam lined bag water bag is much different than the water bladder only bags.

I don’t think you need mit’s or pads for a while, since you can use your gloves for training with a partner.

I get all my junk from Ringside online. Keep your hands up!

[quote]kpb wrote:

Gloves - IMF Tech bag gloves are great, as are IMF Tech training gloves. I have both, but if you’re training with others, get the training gloves. Your hands will thank you.

Mouthguard - I use a 10 buck Shock Doctor boil and bite (a single). If I was younger and sparing a lot more, I’d get one fit by a dentist.

Heavy Bag - I’ve had good luck with the synthetic bags from title. I’m old(er) and my hands are a bit sensitive. The IMF bag gloves make a big difference. I bought a foam lined, water filled bag and it was great until I round kicked it and busted the bladder. For hands only, I’d get on of those. Note that the foam lined bag water bag is much different than the water bladder only bags.

I don’t think you need mit’s or pads for a while, since you can use your gloves for training with a partner.

I get all my junk from Ringside online. Keep your hands up![/quote]

He nailed it, now all you need is some “Eye of the Tiger”.

Make sure you strap ya hands with wraps and wear 16 ounce gloves when ya punching a heavy bag other wise after a few years ya hands will be fucked.

go to a real gym for a month learn how to tie ya wraps and learn all the basic punches then take it home.

[quote]kpb wrote:
[/quote]

Question: do those IMF Bag Gloves top out at 14oz? Thats the weight that Ringside has. Do they offer max protection against a heavy bag, compared to other bag gloves (I get sore knuckles really quickly, no matter which glove I try)?

It just seems that the padding on their training gloves is thicker - would it be completely retarded to just use those on the heavy bag?

anything from ten to 14 ounces should be ok for the bag.
are you wrapping your hands over and around your knuckles?

my knuckles still get cut, its the nature of the sport. youll develop calouses eventually.

[quote]Judas wrote:
Make sure you strap ya hands with wraps and wear 16 ounce gloves when ya punching a heavy bag other wise after a few years ya hands will be fucked.[/quote]

Worst advice on the thread. First, it’s just wrong, since you won’t “fuck” your hands by hitting the bag with bag gloves. I spent years hitting the bag with the bag gloves. No problems here. I am hardly alone. Second, you’ll tear your boxing gloves - at least if you’re actually hitting the bag hard and with some consistency.

You know, you might actually have something to contribute on the forum. But you clearly know nothing about this subject. Base your advice on something you have experience with.

[quote]isr wrote:
(I get sore knuckles really quickly, no matter which glove I try)?[/quote]

That is like saying, “I get calluses on my palms when dead lifting.” It sort of comes with the territory.

You could try sleeping with lotion-filled gloves on. That should soothe your pain.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Judas wrote:
Make sure you strap ya hands with wraps and wear 16 ounce gloves when ya punching a heavy bag other wise after a few years ya hands will be fucked.

Worst advice on the thread. First, it’s just wrong, since you won’t “fuck” your hands by hitting the bag with bag gloves. I spent years hitting the bag with the bag gloves. No problems here. I am hardly alone. Second, you’ll tear your boxing gloves - at least if you’re actually hitting the bag hard and with some consistency.

You know, you might actually have something to contribute on the forum. But you clearly know nothing about this subject. Base your advice on something you have experience with.[/quote]

Just wanted to add, as the JKD guys say, land your punch on your bottom 3 knuckles(vertically), lines your bones up better.

[quote]SpeedStrength wrote:
Just wanted to add, as the JKD guys say, land your punch on your bottom 3 knuckles(vertically), lines your bones up better.[/quote]

And gives you hand fractures IMO. I know Dempsey liked the last 3 fingers and in a fight you just hit with whatever the fuck lands, but I think hitting with the first two is much safer and have always been instructed in that manner. When you’re wearing gloves and have a good wrap you’re probably ok to hit with the smaller floating knuckles. I wouldn’t use JKD as an example as how to hit.

[quote]SpeedStrength wrote:
Just wanted to add, as the JKD guys say, land your punch on your bottom 3 knuckles(vertically), lines your bones up better.[/quote]

LOL. I can’t wait for the ignore function. Anyone who gives this advice truly has nothing to contribute.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
isr wrote:
(I get sore knuckles really quickly, no matter which glove I try)?

That is like saying, “I get calluses on my palms when dead lifting.” It sort of comes with the territory.

You could try sleeping with lotion-filled gloves on. That should soothe your pain.[/quote]

Err, yeah. Thanks for that.

What I’m asking is:

1. training/sparring gloves (that I have seen) seem to have more padding than most bag gloves. Eg: I compared IMF Tech bag v training gloves
  2. so, if I want max protection with the heavy bag, would it be silly to use a training glove? Or are bag gloves still easier on the knuckles?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

[quote]kpb wrote:

I get all my junk from Ringside online. Keep your hands up![/quote]

Thats it!

[quote]isr wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
isr wrote:
(I get sore knuckles really quickly, no matter which glove I try)?

You could try sleeping with lotion-filled gloves on. That should soothe your pain.

Err, yeah. Thanks for that.

What I’m asking is:

1. training/sparring gloves (that I have seen) seem to have more padding than most bag gloves. Eg: I compared IMF Tech bag v training gloves
  2. so, if I want max protection with the heavy bag, would it be silly to use a training glove? Or are bag gloves still easier on the knuckles?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.[/quote]

Look,I used my 10 ounce gloves in both sparring and heavy bag work.
Sometimes did 8 rounds of hitting the heavy bag in one training session.

Your hands will be fine if you-
1.warm-up properly
2.learn how to hit the bag properly
3.use hand-wraps
When training intensely some wear and tear on the knuckles is normal.

[quote]Judas wrote:

go to a real gym for a month learn how to tie ya wraps and learn all the basic punches then take it home.[/quote]

I did my heavy bag work with 10 ounce gloves and after 5 years my hands are fine.
16 ounce gloves are a joke-its like trying to hit the bag with big pillows on your hands!

[quote]isr wrote:
kpb wrote:

Question: do those IMF Bag Gloves top out at 14oz? Thats the weight that Ringside has. Do they offer max protection against a heavy bag, compared to other bag gloves (I get sore knuckles really quickly, no matter which glove I try)?

It just seems that the padding on their training gloves is thicker - would it be completely retarded to just use those on the heavy bag?[/quote]

Max protection???
If you look for max protection,avoid boxing,my friend.
I am not being mean here.
If you are serious about boxing,your head and your stomach will over time take some serious beating while competing and sparring.

Taking punches in your head and having your liver and ribs pounded is not healthy by no means.But thats what this sport is all about.

i second balbo, 16s are used only for sparring.
i use 10s on the all the bags and floor to ceiling balls.

[quote]boxingash wrote:
i second balbo, 16s are used only for sparring.
i use 10s on the all the bags and floor to ceiling balls. [/quote]

Hey Boxingash,can you tell me how much fights can competitive amateur boxer have in one year in Australia?
Do you organize inter-club fights every saturday? Are they many tournaments?

The reason I ask is that here in Croatia amateur boxer can have once a month a match in The First Glove,so that about 10 fights a year,plus some tournaments and once a year championship…so its a maximum of 20 formal fights a year.Its not enough for producing solid boxers in my opinion.
Whats the situation in Australia?