Taking up American Football in Britain.

Im going to start training with the Glasgow Tigers.

Ive always been intrigued by American football, but never rally had an outlet to play it. now i have found one. im well up for it. Ive alwyas played rugby so i think id have some of the basics down already.

Basically ive got a few questions:

1.Where am i likily to play?
I am. 6ft, 260lbs
Bench 110kg
Squat 180kg
Deadlift 240kg
Clean 100kg
No idea bout 40 time.
The Tigers are at the top of the bottom league in Britain, so im not sure what the standard is like. but im sure its no where near as good as high school football in america or anywhere close for that matter.

1. What sort of training should I be looking to do?
    Im currently doing a 5 day split 5x5 concentrating on strength. with 3 cardio sessions thrown in. Currently cutting aswell.

2. Anybody else in Britain play?

Scott

You will likey end up playing line, most likely O line unless your really quick, than maybe D line. Hope that helps.

bumperooo

Wonderful news! I’ve heard that a game in the NFL is equivalent to car crash in regards to the damage done to the body. Well I suppose that would depend on the severity of the crash and all that but whatever.

I think Bauer played college ball and so did MaximusB

You might want to give them a PM

Best of luck!

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Wonderful news! I’ve heard that a game in the NFL is equivalent to car crash in regards to the damage done to the body. Well I suppose that would depend on the severity of the crash and all that but whatever.

I think Bauer played college ball and so did MaximusB

You might want to give them a PM

Best of luck![/quote]

Well ive played rugby for 12 years. Lost an inch of height over the past 3 years. And we dont wear pads. lol. i think ill survive.

Cheers, i will pm them tomorrow. :smiley:

Scott

I did the reverse, played high school and college (low level) football in the U.S., then college (not uni) rugby in the UK. From what I could tell from UK football, you could play O or D line, and have a good time of it. Play D line if you can, I suspect you’ll enjoy it. I went from DB to LB in college and had a lot more fun closer to the line. Weight room strength matters, but I have met guys that couldn’t bench shit who were beasts on the field.

You’re lucky, I was at Wembley for a miserable Dolphins/Giants game 18 months ago, you get my Pats in London in October.

Oh yeah, as far as training goes, get your strength up, especially lower back, squats and deads. But look into plyos, nothing did as much for my (weak bench) game as plyometric drills, improved agility and quickness a ton, it’s a game of inches and milliseconds a lot of the time.