Taking Two Weeks Off

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
Professor X: Doctor of Immunology.

Impervious to injury and, now, virii.[/quote]

What?

Who wrote that I never get sick? Getting the flu and taking a day or two off is completely different than taking TWO FUCKING WEEKS off just because you got sick. If your “flu” lasts with that much intensity for two weeks that you can’t hit the gym, you need to be in a hospital.

Used to get bad ‘flu’ symptoms when I was a kid but not really anymore, even then never took week off. If its not something that will have a large effect on you-like a fever/ vomiting- then you should be able to lift no problem. Increase the amount of sleep your getting also, its probably just extra stress combined with little cold.

I really don’t think even the worst flu would take you out for two weeks, maybe if you had the ammonia or something but not a little flu. Usually really bad flu might be 2-3 days, most about 24 hours.

I’m about to go on R&R from military duty in Djibouti for two weeks in the winter. Ive been training continuously since February minus 4 1-week breaks. And even during those breaks, I sometimes took walks in 40 lbs of body armor only, no lifting or running. I want to take two weeks off, too, just to chill both mentally and physically.

In the past, however, even if I didn’t lose much strength or gain much weight, I got deconditioned and tight from two weeks of doing nothing. My run would be sluggish, or I would get stiffer and sorer quicker when I started lifting again and ended up wasting time healing,getting unsore,or getting back to where I was. So for those two weeks, I’m not gonna touch a weight or train my run. But I will drag a sled, still do mobility/stretching work, hit the heavy bag, play basketball pickup games with my kid, do chinups and abs. Just something different, not challenging, not CNS intensive, not time consuming,not for a PR, not all the time. Fun stuff, even. Call it an active break.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
IgneLudo wrote:
Professor X: Doctor of Immunology.

Impervious to injury and, now, virii.

What?

Who wrote that I never get sick? Getting the flu and taking a day or two off is completely different than taking TWO FUCKING WEEKS off just because you got sick. If your “flu” lasts with that much intensity for two weeks that you can’t hit the gym, you need to be in a hospital.[/quote]

True Enough.

[quote]pimpinallover89 wrote:
The flu isn’t different for people.[/quote]

Are you trying to say that if 2 people caught the same strand of flu, their symptoms and recovery time would be identical?

I think not.

I don’t remember where I read this (it might have been Gironda) but the recommendation was to work out for 3 weeks, then take one week off. I know that’s hard to do but naturals apparently did better on such a schedule.

Most BBs get sick from being too enthusiastic and working out non-stop throughout the year.

Of course, if you’re dong 40 mg/d of DBol for 4 weeks to start a cycle, along with a gram/week of Cyp for 12 weeks, you wouldn’t take the time off.

[quote]pimpinallover89 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
The flu is different for different people. I think people mistake a common cold for the flu. I’ve had cold’s, but never the flu and have worked out throughout them. It’s usually just a cough, runny nose, and sore throat. The flu however is those symptoms plus a stomach virus which usually leads to vomit and the body will want to just sleep all day.

I know this because i’ve had friends with the flu. If it’s a cold you just need to sack up, eat a lot maybe supplement some l-glutmaine to help your immune system and get to work. If it’s the flu, you’ll have no choice but to take time off.

The flu isn’t different for people. There are different strands of flu that vary in degree of danger. It is true that people often mistake colds for flus, but the fact of the matter is that if you really are battling the flu, you would know it. Contrary to popular belief, there is no “stomach flu” as Influenza is a respiratory infection.(It would be like calling a stomach illness stomach pneumonia) Unless you are superman or take tamiflu within 48 hours after getting it, you’re not going to the gym for at least a week-you would be bed ridden for 3 days, as in not moving at all, not eating, with a soaring fever. If you have the flu, glutamine will do about as much as a swift kick in the ass. And if you get the avian flu, you can forget the gym as well as living. Sorry for the hijack.[/quote]

I’ve had stomach viruses pass through each memeber of my family before and everybody had it different. Some of my family memebers would have diahrrea and others a full blown fever with vommiting. Everyone is different and viruses affecct everyone differently.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I don’t remember where I read this (it might have been Gironda) but the recommendation was to work out for 3 weeks, then take one week off. I know that’s hard to do but naturals apparently did better on such a schedule.

Most BBs get sick from being too enthusiastic and working out non-stop throughout the year.

Of course, if you’re dong 40 mg/d of DBol for 4 weeks to start a cycle, along with a gram/week of Cyp for 12 weeks, you wouldn’t take the time off.[/quote]

Vince Gironda can suck my dick. If I would be taking a week off every months I would be 165lb quoting authors in an effort to sound smart because I am too weak for people to notice I lift.

Also I would just like to say that the only time I have personally taken more than a few days off was several years ago when I got a cold that quickly turned into an acute case of bacterial pneumonia. I was bed-ridden in the hospital for several days.
When sepsis is just around the corner, it’s time to take a week off.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
Also I would just like to say that the only time I have personally taken more than a few days off was several years ago when I got a cold that quickly turned into an acute case of bacterial pneumonia. I was bed-ridden in the hospital for several days.
When sepsis is just around the corner, it’s time to take a week off.[/quote]

So you nearly died from working out while sick…had to be in the hospital…and Vince Gironda sucks?

Slow learner…

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
I’ve had the flu twice in my life and both times I had a sky high fever, was soaked in sweat while feeling like I was freezing, could barely hold down water and threw up until I thought my eyeballs were going to pop outta my head. Breathing was a chore as my throat and lungs hurt like hell. At least in those cases lifting my head off a pillow was a major task nevermind lifting weights.

I will say though that the first time it lasted less than 2 days, actually about 24hrs and the second by the third day Iwas at least 90% better.

Since I’ve never had the flu, Ie always thought it was an over-exaggerated cold and that people who got it were just pussies.

I do reckon a lot more people mistake colds for flu and really are just pussies.[/quote]

There is probably some truth to this. Trust me, if you ever do get the flu, influenza, and get hit with it good, you will never make that mistake again. People still die occasionally, even in the industrialized world, from influenza.

If you’re not getting better after a couple days though you need attention. I can’t see it costing somebody 2 weeks completely off. Especially young healthy people.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:

So you nearly died from working out while sick…had to be in the hospital…and Vince Gironda sucks?

Slow learner…

[/quote]

Vince Gironda did not suck, but like everybody else his word is also not divinely inspired. 25% of the year off is excessive for anybody. Any training protocol that renders someone in need of one week in 4 off needs to be rethought, unless it’s for maybe a set period of time with a specific purpose of some kind.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:

Slow learner…

[/quote]

No… I got sick, it turned into pneumonia, and when it got serious, THEN I took a break.

Learn to read.

And yes, if that’s really what Vince said, then I am dissapointed, because he should not be generalizing like that.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:

Slow learner…

No… I got sick, it turned into pneumonia, and when it got serious, THEN I took a break.

Learn to read.

And yes, if that’s really what Vince said, then I am dissapointed, because he should not be generalizing like that.[/quote]

Interesting…when pneumonia got serious…when is pneumonia NOT serious?

If you keep getting sick, then you need to decrease your training frequency. In fact, a sure way to make a minor cold into something worse is ……to work out. Of course, I don’t mean where you do 20 minutes on a bike or try to hit up the gym skank, but when you’re really training. Good way to clobber the old immune system…ask any marathoner…

Do what you will but even the Spartans took some time off from training now and again.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:

Slow learner…

Learn to read.

And yes, if that’s really what Vince said, then I am dissapointed, because he should not be generalizing like that.

If you keep getting sick, then you need to decrease your training frequency. In fact, a sure way to make a minor cold into something worse is ……to work out. Of course, I don’t mean where you do 20 minutes on a bike or try to hit up the gym skank, but when you’re really training. Good way to clobber the old immune system…ask any marathoner…

Do what you will but even the Spartans took some time off from training now and again.

[/quote]

I don’t take days off for minor colds and I am very glad I never listened to people like you.

There is far too much evidence that training can actually speed up the healing of minor infections for anyone to still hold onto that belief. People stuck in the 1960’s would do well to join the rest of us.

Since I don’t even feel like arguing with the troll, this link:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=600264

…should allow him to argue with Mike Mahler, the man who wrote it.

I usually hate posting articles from this site in support of much of anything, but I already see where this is going.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Alquemist wrote:

Slow learner…

Learn to read.

[/quote]

Actually, now that I train more frequently, I rarely if ever get sick at all knocks wood.

But thanks for the heads up.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Since I don’t even feel like arguing with the troll, this link:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=600264

…should allow him to argue with Mike Mahler, the man who wrote it.

I usually hate posting articles from this site in support of much of anything, but I already see where this is going.

[/quote]

Why the insult, Prof? Someone asked for an opinion and I gave it, without rancor. If I respond, you’ll then go on a rant about how all I do is spread my ‘wake of destruction’, when its almost always you who launchs crap my way first.

I guess arguing like a gentleman, or perhaps in your words, a ‘highly educated black man’ is beyond your ken.

"I have found three weeks of concentrated training to be about enough, and the point at which most bodybuilders become bored and stale. And at this point, after three weeks of hard training, I find one week of rest to be much better than would a change of program, because the softening up of muscle tissue allows for renewed energy by the storing up of vitality and re-stimulation to muscles for the resumption of training.

Rest is nature�??s method of restoring the nerves and whole body. Surely, this is logical. If anyone robs himself of needed rest and allows his enthusiasm to govern him, he then continues on nerve force which will soon prove detrimental for muscle growth. And if one cares to go into precise physiological technicalities, he will readily find that the nerves need rest more than do the muscles. Muscles over bad nerves soon become weaker under the power of misdirected nerve force."

www.bodybuildinglive.com/vincegironda/
pages/backissue_train_21_rest_7.htm

Although the Prof and other trolls may disrespect the man, I’d listen to a world famous trainer before any one else.

This is the basic concept of learning what methods, frequency, volume etc. are best to keep you moving forward. As far as I’m concerned if what you’re doing makes frequent week long layoffs a necessity you have not yet found what keeps you moving forward.

As far as training while sick goes:
This is the ol common sense thing rearing it’s ugly head again. If you’re too sick to function you’re too sick to train. If not then some intelligent adjustments may or may not be in order depending on what you have and how bad it is. I will say that anything that legitimately keeps you from training for 2 weeks is by definition serious.