Taking Two Weeks Off

for the past two years the most days that have gone between my workouts has been 4 days. what would the impact of two weeks off be?

i’ve been really sick recently and just cant lift, and the problem is im in the middle of a cut…

Up your protein intake, get some BCAAs and take the time off if you need to.

A 2 week break will probably do you good if you are sick, and you should actually be surprised that you will come back stronger - and any size lost will come right back as soon as you start up again.

[quote]jzl1388 wrote:
for the past two years the most days that have gone between my workouts has been 4 days. what would the impact of two weeks off be?

i’ve been really sick recently and just cant lift, and the problem is im in the middle of a cut…[/quote]

Symptoms?

well training while you’re sick isn’t worth it as your sessions wont be as effective and you’ll tax your body’s recovery ability. take the time and you’ll be back in full swing sooner than you know it. i take a full week off every 12-14 weeks and i always come back refreshed both physically and mentally.

I try not to take time off if I can - I prefer to either reduce the volume or change to some other exercises for a week.

That’s just me though.

2 weeks really won’t do any major harm. You might seem a little flatter when you come back, but that will go away within a week of lifting again.

I took a week off a few weeks ago and actually set a deadlift pr my first week back. It might actually be beneficial. (not always though).

Like RSGZ said, up your calorie intake. Since you are sick, the rest and the added nutrients will help you recover quicker and preserve what you have.

Bring a box of tissues with you to the gym… wussy -lol

S

haha yea i know its just a flu thats been dragging on for a while

i went running 6 miles on saturday bc i thought it was better and it just made it worse…

i’m going to try today to do what i can, prob bench, rows, compounds get in and get out

thanks guys

[quote]jzl1388 wrote:

i went running 6 miles on saturday bc i thought it was better and it just made it worse…

i’m going to try today to do what i can, prob bench, rows, compounds get in and get out

thanks guys[/quote]

I’ve had the flu. I never took weeks off because of it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jzl1388 wrote:

thanks guys

I’ve had the flu. I never took weeks off because of it. [/quote]

I’ve always wondered what kind of “flu” people get that they end up taking time off school or work - or lifting.

I’ve never had anything worse than a sore throat/cough and a blocked nose when I’ve had the “flu”. When I do get sick, it’s usually one or 2 days I can’t get in because I feel shit, but that sure as hell doesn’t warrant a 2 week break.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jzl1388 wrote:

thanks guys

I’ve had the flu. I never took weeks off because of it. [/quote]

yea most people acually feel better when they workout because the immune system gets a boost because your still doing excersises. I know someone who had a horribe flu also and just kept working out

the only thing i would take weeks off of is a stomach virus because of the nausea but that only lasts one to to days

[quote]crod266 wrote:
I know someone who had a horribe flu also and just kept working out[/quote]

That’s fine if he works out at home. But it’s rude as hell to everyone who has to be near or around him if he works out in a public gym where he spreads his sick germs all over the place. lol.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
crod266 wrote:
I know someone who had a horribe flu also and just kept working out

That’s fine if he works out at home. But it’s rude as hell to everyone who has to be near or around him if he works out in a public gym where he spreads his sick germs all over the place. lol.

[/quote]

Dude, trust me, the level of filth and bacteria in the average gym is already so high that you should have a natural tolerance built up at this point.

If you just really want to get technical, you may want to bring Lysol with you if you really care about such things and spray down everything before you touch it.

I simply wash my hands before I leave and leave it at that.

Professor X: Doctor of Immunology.

Impervious to injury and, now, virii.

I think a lot more damage is done by people that overprotect their bodies from germs than by the germs themselves.

The flu is different for different people. I think people mistake a common cold for the flu. I’ve had cold’s, but never the flu and have worked out throughout them. It’s usually just a cough, runny nose, and sore throat. The flu however is those symptoms plus a stomach virus which usually leads to vomit and the body will want to just sleep all day.

I know this because i’ve had friends with the flu. If it’s a cold you just need to sack up, eat a lot maybe supplement some l-glutmaine to help your immune system and get to work. If it’s the flu, you’ll have no choice but to take time off.

I’ve had the flu twice in my life and both times I had a sky high fever, was soaked in sweat while feeling like I was freezing, could barely hold down water and threw up until I thought my eyeballs were going to pop outta my head. Breathing was a chore as my throat and lungs hurt like hell. At least in those cases lifting my head off a pillow was a major task nevermind lifting weights.

I will say though that the first time it lasted less than 2 days, actually about 24hrs and the second by the third day Iwas at least 90% better.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
The flu is different for different people. I think people mistake a common cold for the flu. I’ve had cold’s, but never the flu and have worked out throughout them. It’s usually just a cough, runny nose, and sore throat. The flu however is those symptoms plus a stomach virus which usually leads to vomit and the body will want to just sleep all day.

I know this because i’ve had friends with the flu. If it’s a cold you just need to sack up, eat a lot maybe supplement some l-glutmaine to help your immune system and get to work. If it’s the flu, you’ll have no choice but to take time off.[/quote]

The flu isn’t different for people. There are different strands of flu that vary in degree of danger. It is true that people often mistake colds for flus, but the fact of the matter is that if you really are battling the flu, you would know it. Contrary to popular belief, there is no “stomach flu” as Influenza is a respiratory infection.(It would be like calling a stomach illness stomach pneumonia) Unless you are superman or take tamiflu within 48 hours after getting it, you’re not going to the gym for at least a week-you would be bed ridden for 3 days, as in not moving at all, not eating, with a soaring fever. If you have the flu, glutamine will do about as much as a swift kick in the ass. And if you get the avian flu, you can forget the gym as well as living. Sorry for the hijack.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’ve had the flu twice in my life and both times I had a sky high fever, was soaked in sweat while feeling like I was freezing, could barely hold down water and threw up until I thought my eyeballs were going to pop outta my head. Breathing was a chore as my throat and lungs hurt like hell. At least in those cases lifting my head off a pillow was a major task nevermind lifting weights.

I will say though that the first time it lasted less than 2 days, actually about 24hrs and the second by the third day Iwas at least 90% better.[/quote]

Since I’ve never had the flu, Ie always thought it was an over-exaggerated cold and that people who got it were just pussies.

I do reckon a lot more people mistake colds for flu and really are just pussies.