Taking Too Many Supplements?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Your BMR is likely around 3500 given your activity level. (rough estimate) I don’t know what the max cals you could take in. That would depend on at what point you started gaining fat. I also don’t really know your goals. Are you trying to get bigger? stronger? better at track? [/quote]

I’m trying to get stronger and better at track. I don’t want to get bigger. I don’t care if i gain muscle mass from lifting but I don’t want a lot of fat.

[quote]PR wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Your BMR is likely around 3500 given your activity level. (rough estimate) I don’t know what the max cals you could take in. That would depend on at what point you started gaining fat. I also don’t really know your goals. Are you trying to get bigger? stronger? better at track?

I’m trying to get stronger and better at track. I don’t want to get bigger. I don’t care if i gain muscle mass from lifting but I don’t want a lot of fat.
[/quote]

I would say your goals are conflicting with your supplement schedule then. The only reason one would take the stack on that you are planning is because they are working their asses off in the gym, eating plenty, getting good amounts of rest, and are just looking to sharpen their game.

If you aren’t even interested in gaining size, then you likely aren’t training with high enough intensity to warrant half of what you are taking.

Just my observation.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
PR wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Your BMR is likely around 3500 given your activity level. (rough estimate) I don’t know what the max cals you could take in. That would depend on at what point you started gaining fat. I also don’t really know your goals. Are you trying to get bigger? stronger? better at track?

I would say your goals are conflicting with your supplement schedule then. The only reason one would take the stack on that you are planning is because they are working their asses off in the gym, eating plenty, getting good amounts of rest, and are just looking to sharpen their game.

If you aren’t even interested in gaining size, then you likely aren’t training with high enough intensity to warrant half of what you are taking.

Just my observation.[/quote]

It was a good observation. Someone claiming they have a fast metabolism…yet running that much and only taking in that amount of calories doesn’t even go together. If you had a fast metabolism YOU COULD EAT MORE. God forbid you might actually gain some muscle since at 160lbs, that would be the end of all things as we know it.

Supplements don’t make up for not eating enough to even support your goals. Everything written sounds like a great way to lose any muscle you currently have because there isn’t enough nutrition to support it.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Just my observation.[/quote]

That’s plain silly. Some of the hardest working athletes I’ve ever been around weren’t training to get bigger.

For having a high metabolism and training as much as you do, you are definitely under eating. To figure out how many calories you need, make sure you are keeping track of everything and start increasing by 100-300 Kcal a day. Monitor how you feel, look and perform.

I do total body training 3x a week, Aikido 3x a week, and sprint/jumprope for 30min. 3x aweek. I was undereating which caused me to feel lethargic, lose sleep, and slow down recovery. Once I increased my Kcals, I got better. You need to eat or you are just wasting your money on all of those supplements.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Just my observation.

That’s plain silly. Some of the hardest working athletes I’ve ever been around weren’t training to get bigger.[/quote]

I never insinuated his training was wrong per say, just his supplement schedule that was to accompany his training. It’s overkill for his goals.

Thanks for the replies

I’m going to start eating more. The poster above mentioned feeling lethargic at times but it went away when he increased is intake. I feel the same way, I’m going to increase my intake some to about 3000Kcals and see how I feel.

I train very hard when I lift and don’t mind gaining muscle.

You definitely need more calories. I’d say try 4000 for a while and see how much better you feel. With all the training, fast metabolism, etc you won’t get fat. You will recover faster and get stronger.

Some of my best friends back in high school ran track and the best of them ate more than most of the football players (except those huge ass linemen).

Great that you’re “seeing the light”, ie. going to eat more. The only two things that struck me with your nutrition plan was 1. low kcals, 2. why bother with omega-6/9 supplementation. Concentrate on omega-3, in all likelyhood you’re getting enough, if not too much of omega-6 and 9 just from your normal diet.