T Nation

Taking Too Many Supplements?

I exercise 5 days a week and will be running track and lifting next month.I train hard and eat good and plan on gaining strenght in the gym and speed on the track. Ive been taking a multivitamin and a protein powder for about 2 years. I just received some supps i ordered from Biotest and want to get some more opinions to make sure i dont bomb my kidneys or anything like that. Heres what I take each day.

Currently:

-Protein Shake (Whey): 2 scoops post workout
-Creatine Monohydrate: 3 grams w/shake Post workout
-Mens one a day multivitamin: In the morning w/ breakfast.
-1500mg Omega EFA Complex (Omega-3,6, & 9): 6 per day (2 per meal)

Starting Next Week:

• Biotest Beta-7: 6 tablets
  • BCAA: 12 tablets (6 preworkout, 6 post)
  • ZMA: 2 a day (The recommended dose is 3 a day)
  • Caffeine-Free Spike: I plan on taking these sparingly. Mostly on leg days, track workout days, and definitley at track meets.

So it comes down to me taking all these in one workout day. I train 4 days a week in the gym.

-Protein Shake
-Creatine
-BCAA
-Beta-7 (Beta-Alanine)
-ZMA
-Multivitamin
-Omega-3,6, & 9 EFAs
-Caffeine-Free Spike (Sparingly)

As far as my diet goes, I eat great. I drink plenty of water, eat NO junkfood, no fastfood, no sweets. I consume about 2500 calories a day and Have a high metabolism.

Heres my proposed routine I plan on using for the next few months. I will also begin sprinting for track in february.

Routine:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1413759&pageNo=0#1413759

Main Concerns:

• ZMA and a multivitamin daily will give me a lot of Zinc and Magnesium. Can this be harmful?

• Regular diet, Protein Shakes, and BCAAs will give me a lot of amino acids. Am I taking too much? Should I take the recommend 18 tablets of BCAAs per day?

• Beta-7, this sounds like it will help me with pumping iron and running sprints, will these 6 tabs a day cause any harm?

• Essential Fatty Acids, one of the best nutrients your body can have. I read you should get 6-10g of fish oil a day, I take about 9g per of Omega complex (about 800mg Omega-3), will these be suitable for my needs?

• #1 question, am i causing stress on my body from taking all these supplements?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

Those are all fine combined IMO

Nail solid diet, training, rest and recovery

Phill

[quote]PR wrote:
I exercise 5 days a week and will be running track and lifting next month.I train hard and eat good and plan on gaining strenght in the gym and speed on the track. Ive been taking a multivitamin and a protein powder for about 2 years. I just received some supps i ordered from Biotest and want to get some more opinions to make sure i dont bomb my kidneys or anything like that. Heres what I take each day.

Currently:

-Protein Shake (Whey): 2 scoops post workout
-Creatine Monohydrate: 3 grams w/shake Post workout
-Mens one a day multivitamin: In the morning w/ breakfast.
-1500mg Omega EFA Complex (Omega-3,6, & 9): 6 per day (2 per meal)

Starting Next Week:

• Biotest Beta-7: 6 tablets
  • BCAA: 12 tablets (6 preworkout, 6 post)
  • ZMA: 2 a day (The recommended dose is 3 a day)
  • Caffeine-Free Spike: I plan on taking these sparingly. Mostly on leg days, track workout days, and definitley at track meets.

So it comes down to me taking all these in one workout day. I train 4 days a week in the gym.

-Protein Shake
-Creatine
-BCAA
-Beta-7 (Beta-Alanine)
-ZMA
-Multivitamin
-Omega-3,6, & 9 EFAs
-Caffeine-Free Spike (Sparingly)

As far as my diet goes, I eat great. I drink plenty of water, eat NO junkfood, no fastfood, no sweets. I consume about 2500 calories a day and Have a high metabolism.

Heres my proposed routine I plan on using for the next few months. I will also begin sprinting for track in february.

Routine:

Main Concerns:

• ZMA and a multivitamin daily will give me a lot of Zinc and Magnesium. Can this be harmful?

• Regular diet, Protein Shakes, and BCAAs will give me a lot of amino acids. Am I taking too much? Should I take the recommend 18 tablets of BCAAs per day?

• Beta-7, this sounds like it will help me with pumping iron and running sprints, will these 6 tabs a day cause any harm?

• Essential Fatty Acids, one of the best nutrients your body can have. I read you should get 6-10g of fish oil a day, I take about 9g per of Omega complex (about 800mg Omega-3), will these be suitable for my needs?

• #1 question, am i causing stress on my body from taking all these supplements?

any advice is greatly appreciated![/quote]

Looks pretty good for your supp schedule. As long as your diet, rest, recovery are in check, then these shouldn’t be of any harm to you, especially if you are training hard.

What does your sprint program look like? I ask because I checked your weights routine and am a bit worried that it may be a little much on the volume side. May be off topic or good for another post though…

You will be fine. You will find though that you will need to drink more water. You are just more thirsty. Especially with the added Protein and BCAA’s

I drink a gallon a day. At first it seems like a lot, but you adjust quickly. First day I almost had a full gallon in 1 hr. Thats how dehydrated my body was. Drink a gallon threw out the day and this will keep kidney function healthy.

looks killer. you don’t want to see what core supplementation is, if you think this is much.

the choices are well made. if you eat well and get plenty of animal protein and fruits and veggies, i would drop the multi vitamin. also the omega369 are usually a rip off. fish oil would be better at the same dose, also a couple tablespoons of ground flax a day, you get plenty of omega6 and omega9 if you eat any nuts or use healthy oils either cooking or added to your diet.

you’re going to love the beta7!

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
looks killer. you don’t want to see what core supplementation is, if you think this is much.

the choices are well made. if you eat well and get plenty of animal protein and fruits and veggies, i would drop the multi vitamin. also the omega369 are usually a rip off. fish oil would be better at the same dose, also a couple tablespoons of ground flax a day, you get plenty of omega6 and omega9 if you eat any nuts or use healthy oils either cooking or added to your diet.

you’re going to love the beta7![/quote]

I echo all of the replies – you’re plan is fine, though I’d drop the multi and add a fish oil/EFA supp (or just fish and flax oils, up, hold the olive).

It looks good.

One note. Every couple of months or so I start feeling “pilly” (Can’t explain it any other way) from all the supps I take in. It’s a sick to my stomach feeling when I take more than 3 pills at at time. That’s how I know it’s time to rest.

So every 8-10 weeks, give your body a much needed break (your receptors) and go off all your supps for one whole week. Except protein powder, keep that.
You won’t die, and you won’t lose all your precious new gained strength or muscle. I know it’s hard to imagine but there are people in the world that don’t take supps ever (who are these freaks!?).

In fact, when you come back from that week off, your supps will work all the better as your receptors will be cleaned out.

I usually time this with my week off from the gym every 8-10 weeks as well.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
It looks good.

One note. Every couple of months or so I start feeling “pilly” quote]

Ha!

I know what you mean. BUT-

The other day in the gym I was having a conversation when supplements came up. I told the guy “Yeah, I’m pretty much taking a break from all supplements right now.”

He mentioned something about creatine, which jogged my memory.

"Oh, I guess I’m still using protein and creatine… and Flameout (Fishoil + CLA) BCAA’s, a multivitamin, Rez-V, and Surge.

That’s not supplementing to me, that’s just common sense if you care about your health, work out and want results.

So, I’m down to seven: no Spike, Alpha Male, TRIBEX, Caffeine or Ephedrine right now.

Yes, I have entered the realm of official supp whoredom.

“Pilly is good.”

No one has seemed to notice you said you only eat 2500 cals a day, are 5’10" tall, have a fast metabolism, exercise like it’s your job, and only weigh 160lbs.

These don’t add up.

Your supplement scheme seems fine, but do you think it’s possible you are using them as a band-aid for your overall problem of just not eating enough food and exercising too much?

Kinda agree with the last poster, also what is your age? That would be good information also.
One thing you might notice with the ZMA + multivitamin is an overload of mg. When i take too much magnesium when I shit it burns to high heaven. So if you start noticing that back off on the magnesium. Keep in mind zinc + magnesium are substrates in the human body, while we do need to make sure we get some intake, some people break them down them faster, and need to intake more, while others need far less on a daily basis. If you are already eating a lot of dark green veggies/spinach you probably do not need to supplement magnesium, as mg is very high in concentration in these foods.

This seems to be an overall thems,(the band aids). Did you used to work for johnson and johnson?

Lifting 5 days a week while running track, you should probably be eating more than 2500 calories.

Also, you might want to think about a greens suppliment as well as BCAA’s if you have the money.

Thats the only thing wrong I noticed. Especially with all of the lifting, and running you’re eating way too little. Eat more.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
No one has seemed to notice you said you only eat 2500 cals a day, are 5’10" tall, have a fast metabolism, exercise like it’s your job, and only weigh 160lbs.

These don’t add up.

Your supplement scheme seems fine, but do you think it’s possible you are using them as a band-aid for your overall problem of just not eating enough food and exercising too much?[/quote]

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
It looks good.

One note. Every couple of months or so I start feeling “pilly” (Can’t explain it any other way) from all the supps I take in. It’s a sick to my stomach feeling when I take more than 3 pills at at time. That’s how I know it’s time to rest.

So every 8-10 weeks, give your body a much needed break (your receptors) and go off all your supps for one whole week. Except protein powder, keep that.
You won’t die, and you won’t lose all your precious new gained strength or muscle. I know it’s hard to imagine but there are people in the world that don’t take supps ever (who are these freaks!?).

In fact, when you come back from that week off, your supps will work all the better as your receptors will be cleaned out.

I usually time this with my week off from the gym every 8-10 weeks as well.[/quote]

not sure about the receptors clearing out, unless you are talking about the more exotic supps. most likely you are experiencing discomfort due to the fillers used. either way, backing off for a week or two usually does the trick. during christmas, i even cut out the protein, replacing it with yogurt mixed with cotage cheese, yep plain.

as for the OP, eat more, you are training twice what most people do, you need to eat more to recover.

What are your track workouts like?

I know from personal experience, you cannot lift like a normal person or do a regular lifting schedule while on a track team. There just isn’t enough energy to do both.

Maybe minor lifting to prevent injured and help weaknesses but thats it.

Running 10 x 300m at 47-49 pace with 1 minute rest is fucking killer, and I doubt you’d be able to lift a real workout after it, nevermind having to do a cooldown also.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

These don’t add up.

Your supplement scheme seems fine, but do you think it’s possible you are using them as a band-aid for your overall problem of just not eating enough food and exercising too much?[/quote]

I know what your saying. I don’t feel like I’m using supplements as a band aid. The 2500 Kcal was a rough estimate. How many calories should I be consuming in my situation? Minimum Kcals? Maximum Kcals? I feel my diet is pretty solid, but I have no reason to watch my weight since I don’t gain much fat. Maybe I do exercise too much, but I love it. I made a thread about my routine here if you can help out on it.

Thanks for all the help! Keep it going…

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:

I know from personal experience, you cannot lift like a normal person or do a regular lifting schedule while on a track team. There just isn’t enough energy to do both.

Running 10 x 300m at 47-49 pace with 1 minute rest is fucking killer, and I doubt you’d be able to lift a real workout after it, nevermind having to do a cooldown also.[/quote]

We usually have one hard workout per week. Nothing too difficult, and the workouts vary. Nothing crazy like 16, 400m dashes, I do short distance sprints (100m, 200m, 400m), nothing distance.

• 6, 200m (@ 24~25s pace)
  • pyramids (Max Effort)
  • 4, 400m (~60s)

every other day is usually a run never over 2 miles.

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:

Running 10 x 300m at 47-49 pace with 1 minute rest is fucking killer, and I doubt you’d be able to lift a real workout after it, nevermind having to do a cooldown also.[/quote]

I don’t know about that, I was on DeFranco’s westside, lifting my ass off 3 times a week when i was a runner(I have since converted to throwing jav). I never had a problem with my workouts, and anyone who has ever been a 400m hurdler knows that those arent easy workouts. In fact lifting seemed to be helping my running performance greatly.

Unfortunately for me I blew out my hamstring when i hooked my trail leg on a weighted hurdle…sucked. But as far as lifting for a track athelete goes I would say structure your heavy leg day as far from race day as possible, and try to avoid doing too much lower body work on your big track workout days. Good Luck.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
do you think it’s possible you are using them as a band-aid for your overall problem of just not eating enough food and exercising too much?

This seems to be an overall thems,(the band aids). Did you used to work for johnson and johnson?
[/quote]

Hey if the analogy fits, why not use it?

[quote]PR wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

These don’t add up.

Your supplement scheme seems fine, but do you think it’s possible you are using them as a band-aid for your overall problem of just not eating enough food and exercising too much?

I know what your saying. I don’t feel like I’m using supplements as a band aid. The 2500 Kcal was a rough estimate. How many calories should I be consuming in my situation? Minimum Kcals? Maximum Kcals? I feel my diet is pretty solid, but I have no reason to watch my weight since I don’t gain much fat. Maybe I do exercise too much, but I love it. I made a thread about my routine here if you can help out on it.

Thanks for all the help! Keep it going…[/quote]

Your BMR is likely around 3500 given your activity level. (rough estimate) I don’t know what the max cals you could take in. That would depend on at what point you started gaining fat. I also don’t really know your goals. Are you trying to get bigger? stronger? better at track?