T Nation

Taking Time Off

I am being forced to take some time off after my eye surgery and I was trying to figure out what I could do to keep from losing too much muscle. The doc said no strenuous activity for at least 3 weeks.

Dude, just keep eating healthy, but subtract the amount of calories you would normally burn if you were training (thereæs no need to pack on fat) in addition to just “existing”. 3 weeks is not long, and you will lose very little/no muscle if you just keep “your head up” and stick to a good diet.

Eye surgery is nothing to fool around with. Doing something stupid could lead to blindness. Sphaw is right, 3 weeks is nothing. Once you get back, take it easy with no undue straining. This will protect your eye and also help you get back into it without a lot of DOMS. If it was just a 3 week layoff, I’d say you could be back up to speed in a couple of weeks but your doctor will probably tell you to go slower.

Stu

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I have been very strict on my diet so its no problem tweaking it a little.

Definitely don’t push this one…

I would recommend you stay on diet, but cut the hard training. Consider going for a walk or doing easy things around the house in order to stay active.

If I go 2 or more days without lifting I lose about 10 pounds off my bench… why I do not know, I just hate it, cuz it takes me 2 days to get back to the same spot, then 3 days to gain, then no workout for 2 days… So it screws me over, and makes it hard to get gains, even if I take 69 grams of protein and creatine from one shake. Not to take the thread over, but any one have any ideas?

[quote]codypt wrote:
If I go 2 or more days without lifting I lose about 10 pounds off my bench… why I do not know, I just hate it, cuz it takes me 2 days to get back to the same spot, then 3 days to gain, then no workout for 2 days… So it screws me over, and makes it hard to get gains, even if I take 69 grams of protein and creatine from one shake. Not to take the thread over, but any one have any ideas?[/quote]

Lift more often?

I find it hard to believe you eat enough in the first place, travis.