T Nation

Taking the Anabolic Diet Plunge!

Hog - one other reason you may be feeling soft is the slow depletion of glycogen without subsequent replenishment since your body isn’t efficient at running on triglycerides.

Once you’re metabolism “shifts” you’ll likely feel fuller and pumped again. I can get crazy pumps, even late in the week, now that I’ve been at it for almost two months.

[quote]Charles Atlas wrote:
Hey bro, I just answered your PM. I’m looking at your diet and a few small things do pop out at me. You know about the FF cheese, so I won’t give you any shit about it :wink: I would be absolutely sure that your seasonings don’t have carbs in em though, or if they do, be sure to write them down. I know for a fact that every serving of the worstershire sauce I have in my cupboard has 1g CHO in each teaspoon, which could add up if I wasn’t careful. Also be sure you watch the processed stuff, (bacon bits, velveeta etc.). That shit sometimes has mad carbs, I don’t eat it so I dunno. Other than that, you’re kickin ass. BTW, try that ground turkey recipe, but replace the turkey with full fat ground beef or lamb!
[/quote]

Yea, I noticed the 1g of CHO p/ teaspoon on the worstershire. I limit it to about 4 or 5 tsp. The bacon bits don’t have any CHO but I’m not sure about the Velvetta. I’ll have to check that out.

I’ll give the beef and/or lamb a try.

Thanks for the tips and stuff.

Ok, so I’m on day 5 and I got on the scale this morning and it was 205 which was a little discouraging because I’m doing pretty well on this plan and I was 3 lbs. lighter according to the scale the day before. Maybe I’m taking in too much sodium or something. Oh well, I guess my focus should be on the mirror.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Ok, so I’m on day 5 and I got on the scale this morning and it was 205 which was a little discouraging because I’m doing pretty well on this plan and I was 3 lbs. lighter according to the scale the day before. Maybe I’m taking in too much sodium or something. Oh well, I guess my focus should be on the mirror.[/quote]

Tough love time - quit weighing yourself every goddamn day like an insecure 15 year old girl with anorexia. The first few pounds you lost immediately from water and will come and go from dietary fluctuations. I’d suggest not looking at the scale until the last night of your 12 day conversion phase, then at the end of your carb up (just to get an idea how much water weight you’ll gain each load) and then only weigh yourself every 2-3 weeks. Let the fit of your clothing be your guide and give the diet time to work…because it will.

[quote]Deinabolic wrote:
HogLover wrote:
Ok, so I’m on day 5 and I got on the scale this morning and it was 205 which was a little discouraging because I’m doing pretty well on this plan and I was 3 lbs. lighter according to the scale the day before. Maybe I’m taking in too much sodium or something. Oh well, I guess my focus should be on the mirror.

Tough love time - quit weighing yourself every goddamn day like an insecure 15 year old girl with anorexia. The first few pounds you lost immediately from water and will come and go from dietary fluctuations. I’d suggest not looking at the scale until the last night of your 12 day conversion phase, then at the end of your carb up (just to get an idea how much water weight you’ll gain each load) and then only weigh yourself every 2-3 weeks. Let the fit of your clothing be your guide and give the diet time to work…because it will.

[/quote]

I’ll take that advice. Thanks for checking in.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Ok, so I’m on day 5 and I got on the scale this morning and it was 205 which was a little discouraging because I’m doing pretty well on this plan and I was 3 lbs. lighter according to the scale the day before. Maybe I’m taking in too much sodium or something. Oh well, I guess my focus should be on the mirror.[/quote]

As I have discovered, numbers really don’t mean a thing. Go by the fit of your clothes and the mirror. If you want to pay attention to numbers, try measuring yourself instead of using the scale or bf% (which no one really gets right anyway)

Whenever I start low carb diets, the water depletion in the first 3 or 4 days makes me, I think, look worse (flabby/soft like you say). Don’t go too low calorie. I’ve made that mistake and seen precious muscle disappear. I’m coming off a Berardi style eating pattern and going into a T-Dawg diet for September before I start gaining again. Good luck to ya!

Today is the beginning of day 8 on this program. Man, I cleared some serious hurdles this weekend. Had some friends over Saturday night and the wife fixed chocolate chip cookies (my favorite) and I resisted successfully. Then we went to Dixie Cafe last night and they had sweet potatoes caserole as their ‘Vegetable of the Day’, which they never have when I go there. I resisted this as well. DANG I’M GOOD! I’m really hoping that this program pays off because I’ve been saying no an awful lot lately.

I’m trying my best to get through the induction phase without getting too discouraged. I’m not really seeing a huge difference in the mirror, my clothes or on the scale but it is just the induction phase. So, hopefully after this phase I’ll start seeing some changes.

Day 11 - Initiation phase

I’m 1 day away from my carb up weekend and I’m so fired up about it. Honestly this diet hasn’t been tough to this point. I haven’t really been hungry unless I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason (crying baby). The only tough part is mentally saying no to foods whenever your friends are eating them right in front of you. Luckily I have some peeps at work that eat good on a regular basis as well so during the day it’s not hard. My wife on the other hand is not a believer in eating good a majority of the time.

I feel like I’m looking a little better in the mirror. The scale has maybe moved a little but I’m trying not to weigh myself everyday like a queer. What I’m ready for is when people start telling me that I look like I’ve lost weight.

I’m interested to see what I’ll feel/look like after the carb weekend but I’m excited to see what happens over the course of this program.

As far as work outs go. I don’t feel like I’ve lost any strength really. I’ve been lifting, focusing on major muscle groups and I’ve been biking some. I definetely need to increase the intensity of my workouts thought.

Ok, so here’s my experience thus far. I just had my first carb up day after the initial 12 day induction. The 12 day induction was pretty easy although I was looking forward to carbs like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I start out at 205 and ended the induction phase at 201. I’m sure a lot of that was water. Anyway, after my first carb day (yesterday)I got on the scale this morning and was back at 205. I guess my main concern is going backwards and having to work off the same 4 or 5 lbs every week.

Now, I didn’t eat everything all day yesterday but when I did eat I ate a lot of simple carbs. I’m hoping that the results I saw on the scale is just part of the diet and that after getting back to high protein/high fat that things will all work themselves out.

But for now, I’ve got another carb up day today. I’ll have to see how this affects my weight loss. I may decide to just do one carb up day if this two day plan sets me back too far.

There’s my update if anyone’s checking.

HogLover,

Great job so far. I’m starting tomorrow and really looking forward to it. A couple of things I want to suggest to you:

Go to fitday.com and log the last couple days of eating. I know you hate logging and macro ratios, but I think it is a good idea at this point to see where you are at. When you posted your diet, it did not seem like you were getting enough fat in there. You’re eating a lot of turkey and chicken, and not much red meat. Up the fat! This is a high-fat diet, and I think you’ll feel better and see more results if you stick to 50-70% fat.

Also, logging will help you see how many calories you’ve been taking in. I’m guessing that at your weight, you need more. Start with your body weight X 18 and see how that works. And about the weight staying the same, here is what DiPasquale says in his book about the first 3-4 weeks:

“This makes for a ?static? phase where you lose some body fat, gain some muscle mass, and maintain about the same weight. This is a phase where you?ll be changing the ratio of internal masses to some degree, but most of what you?re doing is allowing your body its easiest path toward adapting to the diet.”

So keep at it, you’re doing a good job so far, and I’ll be checking in a lot because you’ll be two weeks ahead of me.

Dude, from what I’m reading you are worrying way too much about scale weight. I think most would agree that scale weight is a pretty shitty indicator of progress. I suggest a tape measure around the waist, as well as arms, neck, hips etc. If you can get one, the myotape thing is great for reliable measurements and it’s cheap.

It also sounds like you have some issues with the processed foods. You need to get over those fast, as they will stall and maybe even prevent progess on any diet. Lay off the junk and sugar, and you will do fine.
-CA

[quote]Charles Atlas wrote:
Dude, from what I’m reading you are worrying way too much about scale weight. I think most would agree that scale weight is a pretty shitty indicator of progress. I suggest a tape measure around the waist, as well as arms, neck, hips etc. If you can get one, the myotape thing is great for reliable measurements and it’s cheap.

It also sounds like you have some issues with the processed foods. You need to get over those fast, as they will stall and maybe even prevent progess on any diet. Lay off the junk and sugar, and you will do fine.
-CA[/quote]

Atlas -

Where did you get the idea that I was having a problem with processed food? I don’t think I eat a lot of processed foods. Do you mean I have to stay away from junk and sugar during my carb up days? Hmmm…

Yeah, I’d agree that I’m a little too concerned with scale weight. I’ll do my best to get some measurements and check my progress against those.

Thanks for the sound advice. I’m also gonna read that book on this diet. I recently got it from another T-Nationalist.

Aight dude and dudettes of the Anabolic persuation, it’s been a couple days short of 1 month that I’ve been on the Anabolic Diet and I’m loving it. It’s easy, I feel leaner and I THINK I look leaner as well. I’m going to take some 1 month progress pics just to see if I can see a difference in them.

I’ve got my first Triathalon coming up tomorrow morning (thank god theres a carb up day today before the race)and I’ interested to see how this diet will affect my performance. My endurance has seemed to increase during my endurance training.

I’ve dropped 5 lbs over the past month so I figure that’s pretty good. I’m almost under 200 lbs. Stay tuned for the results.

Awesome. Told you if you just relax and go with it, it’d pay off. Post some pics and race results. I’ve gotta get off my ass and post a race report of my own on the main AD thread.

Well, I took some 1 month progress pics this morning before eating and I honestly can’t see much difference in body composition since beginning. I’m resizing the pics now so i can post them.

  1. Maybe 1 month is too soon to expect to see much.
  2. Maybe I could be working out harder.
  3. Maybe 1 month is too soon to expect to see much.

Here’s to keepin’ on…

Just letting all know that I’m still on the wagon. Feel like I’m doing well. Noticed that my belt went up a notch yesterday. Need to take some measurements soon. The diet has become incredibly easy. I’m concerned that maybe I dont’ have enough variety in my diet but it’s fine with me. Does anyone know of any drawbacks to not very much variety?

Good job sticking to it!I’m having my carb-up soon,been dreaming about it for a week!