Taking Nootropics and Pre-Workouts?

Does anyone have any experience with nootropics like alpha brain or noocube? Gimmick supplement or worth a try? And would pre workout affect it in anyway. Obviously not taken right after but say within 8hrs

I would personally avoid blends like these, which are overpriced, overhyped, typically contain a potpourri of ingredients that, even if high quality (unlikely) are not at the levels needed for effective dosing. I would focus on what ingredients you are interested in and buy high quality sources of these. I do think there is value in medicinal mushroom extract powders, specifically cordyceps as it relates to athletic performance. Do your research and get a legitimate brand that has tested levels of cordycepin, the main bioactive of cordyceps. An excellent vendor is Oriveda, which (if you’re in the US) is sold through Modern Herb Shop. They sell high purity, high potent cordyceps (and other medicinal mushrooms) and they do legitimate third party testing. I also think Lion’s Mane and Reishi are excellent additions for overall vitality. If Oriveda is too pricey, my next choice would be RealMushrooms(dot)com.

What a coincidence, the company that actually sponsors this forum sells supplements!

1 Like

Thank You. Is OM a reputable brand? I found ommushrooms that has a 2g lions mane supplement. Im interested in more memory and brain function over energy right now but after reading your post im very interested in lions mane. Ive even seen lions mane in some preworkouts.

No, OM is one of the worst. It is myceliated biomass (read: mostly rice) and their mushroom powders are not extract. This means the chitin walls will prevent effective absorption of the bioactives. Another really poor quality brand is Host Defense, despite its widespread availability in retail stores.

I made my first foray into them without much research, and got a poor product and thought “Well, not much to these” then started reading research papers (there’s a lot of scientific evidence on these) and then got high quality extract powder. Save yourself the time, if you want to try them, and get something decent at the outset. Like I said, try RealMushrooms(dot)com. Their cordyceps and lion’s mane would be a good starting point.

1 Like

[quote=“antiquity, post:5, topic:273833”]
No, OM is one of the worst. It is myceliated biomass (read: mostly rice) and their mushroom powders are not extract. This means the chitin walls will prevent effective absorption of the bioactives. Another really poor quality brand is Host Defense, despite its widespread availability in retail stores.

I made my first foray into them without much research, and got a poor product and thought “Well, not much to these” then started reading research papers (there’s a lot of scientific evidence on these) and then got high quality extract powder. Save yourself the time, if you want to try them, and get something decent at the outset. Like I said, try RealMushrooms(dot)com. Their cordyceps and lion’s mane would be a good starting point.
[/quot

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the info!

1 Like