Taking my time and losing my mind...

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
kp,

Thank you for the info, I was unaware of the moving my head thing possibly being illegal, I will research that ASAP. As far as flaring it is a lot less of a flare than I get when I go raw so I am hoping that my shoulder doesn’t bite it, but I will look out for discomfort.

Pete,

I’m hoping Saturday mornings are a shirted bench day for you…

I read about it online and it seemed to be a good idea to try and follow someones advice (even if it was for a different shirt) to try and get a manageable weight to touch, I plan on increasing a bit each time until I find a weight I can’t lock out.

Off to Squat now.[/quote]

One way to do it is to work down in boards each week, i.e. week 1 3board, 2 2board, 3 1board, 4 touch.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I once fried bacon in a new suit. [/quote]

So.Hot.

Missed a few days of posting, I will try not to make a habit of that. I have been trying to load a couple videos of me lifting in gear and for some reason it is taking 45 minutes to an hour then booting me off, any suggestions on how to do this more effectively?

8/11/11

Squats (in Metal Squatter, thick like scuba gear)- w/ups- 425x1 about 8-10 inches above parralel almost fell forward, 495x1 sat back better but still felt weird. Switched to Inzer TRX- 545x2, 585x2, 635x1 (felt a little easy for the weight). I am using 2.5m Titan THP(?) Wraps and a belt, I may be overdoing it on the gear front. Took off the suit and did 365x5, 315x5

Good Mornings (no belt/wraps etc)- 275x5, 315x5, 335x5

Speed Deadlifts- 225x5, 275x3, 315x3, 275x3, 225x5

8/12/11
Cardio-swimming-GPP

8/13/11
Pain pills

8/14/11

Bench- w/ups- 315x3, 385x3, shirt on 425 x0 (missed the groove by easily 3 inches and attempted to cut off my own head so of course I went up 445x0 again brought the weight down way too high, my brother asked me why I was trying to “neck press” everything, shirt off 405x2

Close Grip- 275x5, 315x5x5

Incline Close Grip- 245x5, 255x5, 265x5

Dbell Raises- 30’s x25x25

RC Band Work- 8,8,8,8,8,8

So much for throwing on a shirt and adding 120 to my max since I missed less than my raw max with it on. Practice will be important I guess.

8/15/11

Squat- (wraps and belt only)- w/ups- 365x2, 405x2, 455x2, 495x2 (2nd one looked like I was doing a pause), 315x5

Deadlifts- 225x2, 275x2, 315x2, 365x2, 405x2, 445x2, 485x2, 525x2

Good Mornings-275x5 x5 x5

Felt pretty decent all in all, saw a huuuge difference in the way the weights felt on my joints w/out the suit.

Gear. Takes. Time.

Funny about almost chopping off your head in the bench. Actually, not funny. Good spotters are a necessity with gear, IMO.

The forward lurch is normal in a squat suit. I have to fight hard to sit back with the weight.

Is the Metal Squatter single ply?

kp,

“Is the Metal Squatter single ply?”

I thought it was when I bought it (I bought it used), but it is easily 2x as thick as my TRX, a fella in my gym says it appears to be a double, but it doesn’t say anything on it and frankly I don’t know how to check.

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
kp,

“Is the Metal Squatter single ply?”

I thought it was when I bought it (I bought it used), but it is easily 2x as thick as my TRX, a fella in my gym says it appears to be a double, but it doesn’t say anything on it and frankly I don’t know how to check.[/quote]

Looks like it’s single ply from what I can tell because it’s IPF approved.

If it is a double ply it will say ‘Pro’, ‘Ace Pro’ or ‘Viking’ on the front, if it just says Squatter it is probably a single ply: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=203&pid=722

My first thought was “ask Pete” regarding the plys.

It is apparently a very thick (but spongy) 1 ply, which doesn’t change the fact that I can’t get down in it.

8/17/11

Bench- w/ups- 315x5, 3653 paused, 405 x2 paused 415x1, 315x10 (no shirt today)

Close Grip- 225x5 275x5 315x5x5

Pushdowns- weight x25x25

I have officially entered a contest (sent a check and everything) it will be Rochester NY on 9/11 (a Sunday) for the WNPF, if I am in the top 5 I qualify to have my ass kicked at the World’s in November in Philly. Now to decide on weights and ply’s.

If it is IPF Approved, it is single ply.

What do you think of the Bash Shirt?

WNPF is IPF stuff, so you gotta stick with that sad single ply stuff… j/k. Good work man, looking forward to how things go. gotta send you that envelope, should have it out by Friday, got sidetracked. Lemme know if you need anything…

Very cool about the upcoming meet. Have you ever done one before? In gear?

I’m not familiar with the WNPF. So many feds out there. How is the WNPF related to the IPF, Pete?

^^^^ sorry misread that, they are not^^^^ and they do have multiply

Dixie,

I like the Bash shirt (when I can make it work), easy to get on and seat with slippers (I are hairy/sweaty), when I remember where the groove is I get some nice pop.

Pete,

No problem the shirts aren’t going anywhere. I am considering their 2 ply division but I have only used my 2ply Rage x once and I couldn’t get close to touching, I might use it this week though to see if I have a chance. My concern is 2 ply squats, slapping briefs under my TRX is impossible (too tight) and putting them under the Metal seems like a good way to be stuck 14" from parralel, so sad single ply it will probably be.

Kp,

I have competed twice in Bench Only, and I was going for the UPA meet in Ithaca NY 12 days ago but my wife got us box seats for the Red Sox that week and I had no hesitation about choosing Fenway over sweaty ass and nipple bruising. As far as gear, both my previous contests were raw so this should be exciting, or tragic.

Was going to lift last night but forgot it was the first night of football practice, so I just stood around coaching lineman and missing squats.

I used the time to develop my competition plan, I will open raw (405,500,500) and then gear up for 2nd and 3rd attempts, that way I can hopefully grab a top 5 finish from my openers and not worry about bombing, allowing me to “shoot for the moon” on the next attempts, it will give me 2 solid months to work with the gear for the Worlds’ in Philly. Now does this sound like a reasonable plan or have I overlooked something?

8/19/11

Squats (wraps and belt) w/ups- 405x2, 425x2, 445x2, 465x2, 495x3, 315x8

Deadlifts- w/ups= 405x2, 455x2, 495x2, 525x2, 315x10

GoodMornings- 225x5, 275x5x5

It was late when I worked out went through the motions but it actually turned out pretty well, no partner to help put on a suit so I went “commando”.

Promised my brother a plan so we decided on the Juggernaut, I liked the idea of not lifting too heavy between now and 9/11, he liked the idea of an actual plan to get stronger. After I did the 5x10 bench sets I did a few shirted singles to kind of prepare for the contest, it occurs to me that I may be in trouble, I registered in the 2 ply division so I figured I should try my 2 ply rage x, while I did not come close to touching anything I did learn a valuable lesson regarding over reaching, I will now open raw then go to 1 ply for attempts 2 and 3, then try to learn the 2 ply shirt before November 13 if I qualify. I also received some nice centurion briefs in the mail today to wear under my TRX, I will try them out on Wednesday.

Bench- w/ups- 225x10x10x10x10x21, shirt on 405x0, 455x0, 495x0 (maybe a 3 board), put on 1 ply bash 405x1, 425x1, 445x1

Close Grips- 225x12x10x10

DBell Curls- 60’sx 12x12x12

BB Rows- 225x10x8x8

So I returned my new TRX the other day since it was too tight (and I am too much of a lame ass to stretch it out), then I got my gear together for squatting yesterday and noticed a 2 inch tear in my old TRX. You live and learn. Last night that left me with 2 choices, raw or my too big Metal that I still can’t hit depth without falling over in.

So last night I squatted in wraps and a belt up until 455 then tried the suit with mixed results, additionally I picked up an unwanted and awesomely annoying training partner yesterday (my brother seems to always be busy on squat days, hmmmm). My “partner” was squatting with me and asked what I was doing, it went like this:

training Bro- “what’s with the wraps bro”
me- " I’m training for an old man powerlifting contest next month, what do you want on the bar?"
training Bro- “I’ll use what you got” (performs 4" pseudo squat, proclaims victory) “Maybe I should enter too bro, that felt too easy.”
me- “That was a nice rep.”
training bro- “what’s that bro”
me- “A squat suit.”
training Bro- “What’s it for bro?”
me- “squatting”
This went on for an unbelievably long time, as a generally good person I let him unrack 545 and I even spotted him as he attempted another nearly 1/4 squat (unsuccessfully but it was a valiant attempt)

I was actually annoyed at first but afterwards I was pretty impressed, he had a Rooster body and had obviously never attempted a deep squat in his life, but he was just unhinged enough to be willing to slap what appears to be a lot of weight (maybe not to some of you folks but to me 545 looks heavy) on a bar, put it on his back, and pretend to squat with it. Young people are amazing.

8/24

Squat- 135x5 185x3 225x3 275x3 315x2 365x2 405x2 455x2/ (suit on) 495x2 (not deep enough) 545x1 (nope close) 595x1 (nope close)

Good Mornings- 275x8 315x5 x5

DBell Curls- 60’sx8 65’sx8 70’s x8

I will try this next week with squat suit and briefs and more weight, hopefully that combo will allow me to get deep and more importantly, get up.

you are a regular gear whore at this point, dang…

Thats some fine squating gear or no gear.