T Nation

Taking My First Deload... Ever

This week I’m taking my first deload and I’m somewhat depressed about it.
Daily schedule
5/5/5 with 40%,50%,60% for all my 5/3/1 lifts
Alot of pullups, dips, inverted rows, and pushups, BW squats, and BW split squats.

I think I should take one as well. My lower back is fried. But I think ill wait a little more.

Good lucky sir.

I always feel like a crappier lifter after a reload.

Yeah, frustrating at first.
The trick is to really hammer yourself into the ground in the third week so that you’re begging for the deload

You’re probably going to lose all your gains and pretty much all of your strength, too. I am 100% serious about this.

My regards

[quote]SSC wrote:
You’re probably going to lose all your gains and pretty much all of your strength, too. I am 100% serious about this.[/quote]
Could you sort of expand on how 1 week of lighter lifting will do this?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
You’re probably going to lose all your gains and pretty much all of your strength, too. I am 100% serious about this.[/quote]
Could you sort of expand on how 1 week of lighter lifting will do this?[/quote]

Ahem I think he was being sarcastic.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
Could you sort of expand on how 1 week of lighter lifting will do this?[/quote]

Ahem I think he was being sarcastic.[/quote]

Winner!

The whole “stop training = lose gains” mentality is incredibly silly. I know really, really big mofo’s who have gone weeks without lifting weights once and are just fine. Obviously it’s not smart to do this all the time, but when I do a “de-load,” I don’t even lift, walk around the neighborhood a few times, and eat whatever in the fuck sounds good. I’ve actually firmly started to believe that (for me, anyway,) lifting at ALL during a “de-load” kind of defeats the purpose.

Just my personal experience and opinion, though.

I figured I might as well cycle off my caffeine too…gah life sucks

If you’re skipping deloads, you’re not working hard enough.

Not sure what your goals are (football???) but whatever it is, if you are doing 5/3/1 then deload is part of the program. Do the program.

Avi’s from high school, best times of my life with my best friends, just wanna show it off.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Avi’s from high school, best times of my life with my best friends, just wanna show it off. [/quote]

I was fairly neutral about highschool myself.
Was not terrible, was not awsome.
I remember having alot of erections.
Few places are you around as many women who are your age.

[quote]Field wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Avi’s from high school, best times of my life with my best friends, just wanna show it off. [/quote]

I was fairly neutral about highschool myself.
Was not terrible, was not awsome.
I remember having alot of erections.
Few places are you around as many women who are your age. [/quote]
It’s not fair when you’re 18 and 1/2 of them are 17 lmfao

Starting my first proper deload week as well. Been working even harder since the new year started so lower back was fried for about 2 weeks from squats and deadlifts.

Gonna try and stay away from the gym and just workout at home cause every time I get go there with the intent to deload, I just end up going hard.

Since this will be my first proper deload week I’ll probably update on how things ago afterwards. Hopefully doing a liitle bit more than I could the past few weeks.

I find that deloads help me refresh not just physically, but mentally as well. After taking it easy for a week or two I’m usually chomping at the bit to get back in the gym and start lifting again.