T Nation

Taking Metabolic Drive on a Plane

hey i am flying to toronto in 6 days and i want to take some Metabolic Drive protien

whats the deal with airport security and protien powders?

should i take it in carry on?

I think you’ll be fine as long as you don’t hide any weapons or explosives in the bottle.

You will be fine either way, but it is easier to have it on your person, so I usually carry-on. That way if my baggage gets lost, I still have protein.

Likewise if you want to have a protein shake on the plane, just put some in a dry shaker bottle and add water after you go through the security checkpoint.

I flew from Toronto to Vancouver with some Spike Shooters in my checked bags and there was no problem.

When I need to take powder on a plane I get a brand that comes in individual packets and carry them with an empty bottle. I usually don�??t fill the shaker bottle with water until I�??m about to mix the shake because I find that they will often leak when laid on their sides.

you’ll be fine
side note: I find it funny people use protein on planes. Can you not wait till after, or even take it before? just a thought.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
you’ll be fine
side note: I find it funny people use protein on planes. Can you not wait till after, or even take it before? just a thought.[/quote]

Some plane rides are 3+ hours long… food at an airport is shit, food in an airplane is shit. I personally like/have to eat every quality food every 2-3 hours.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:
you’ll be fine
side note: I find it funny people use protein on planes. Can you not wait till after, or even take it before? just a thought.

Some plane rides are 3+ hours long… food at an airport is shit, food in an airplane is shit. I personally like/have to eat every quality food every 2-3 hours. [/quote]

Exactly. Ever been on a 15 hour flight with 2 meals and a lame snack with a total protein content of 2 scoops of Metabolic Drive? If so, you would understand protein supplementation on airplanes.

On the flight I had the Spike Shooters in my baggage, I had 3 meals of skinless chicken thighs, 600g of salad, 2 apples, and 300g of mixed grapes. I did take my fish oil pills with my meals, another reason to keep supplements in carry-on.

note: you cannot take fluids in carry-on, so don’t pre-mix

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:
you’ll be fine

Some plane rides are 3+ hours long… food at an airport is shit, food in an airplane is shit. I personally like/have to eat every quality food every 2-3 hours. [/quote]

Ditto. I’d rather eat my shoe than airplane food. And I are ubers hardscore.

I think protein bars work so much better in these circumstances. And no one gives you a weird look either. Longest flight I had was 19 hours and luckily had some layovers to have decent food instead of just airplane food.

I always travel with a tub of Metabolic Drive :slight_smile:

I also have a cooler bag which has a layer built in instead of adding ice - you put the bag in the freezer and then it keeps your food cold for about 5 hours. I pack hard boiled eggs, lean beef burgers, whatever - never had a problem.

I’ve never had airplane food equivalent to 2 scoops of Metabolic Drive in protein…

Do you fly on the hooters plane Peter?

I portion my Metabolic Drive powder into ziploc bags and put them in my back pocket, and have an empty nalgene in my carry-on. Then when I get on the flight I fill up my nalgene with water they give me on the plane or water I brought with me from inside the terminal. I keep my tubs in my checked bags.

-dizzle

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I’ve never had airplane food equivalent to 2 scoops of Metabolic Drive in protein…

Do you fly on the hooters plane Peter?[/quote]

Over two meals and a snack in business class on the way to Oz, I figure there was about 200g of decent meat, that is about 40g of protein - as in 2 scoops Metabolic Drive.

Hooters plane, I wish. For me its WestJet or whatever major European airline gives me a better deal than Air Canada. The chicken meals were on the cross-Canada flight as WestJet has no meals, though one of the flight attendants was hotter than most Hooters girls.

screw you and your business class - -haha jk

only flew it once to germany and the food is actually very good.

I fly on the regular with a ton of a supplements, they never give me any trouble. Hair gel on the other hand…

[quote]tawl17 wrote:
screw you and your business class - -haha jk

only flew it once to germany and the food is actually very good.[/quote]

I got bumped from economy because they overbooked. Only time I ever got the opportunity. Otherwise my cheap ass flies coach, there is no way I am paying several hundred to a few thousand just so I can sit in a slightly larger seat for a few hours and get a slightly less crappy meal. Too many other things that money can buy.