T Nation

Taking Measurements: What to Measure?

So everyone likes measuring their progress to know how they’re doing, if what they’re doing is working, etc. I mean, what good is all this work if we’re not always looking to figure out what has the best effect on us blah blah blah. So I’m looking at making some serious marks to work off of (now that I’ve restarted my lifting regimen after a longgg moving process) and I don’t know what the hell to measure.

I already have a list of places to take BF caliper measurements with (more for curiosity than anything) and I obviously plan on various poses with pictures, but I also want numbers. Off the top of my head, I can think of chest, arm, and thigh measurements - but are there any else I should take? Hell, I’d think every beginner would benefit a load from having numbers to look back on and go “pfft, I remember when I had X size quads… now my arms that big (hearty laugh)”

your waist.

forearms, calves, neck, penis. If you want to be thorough.

Hot damn neck is a good idea. I remember after my first year of lifting with any real zeal I had a wedding and had to strangle myself with a size 15 1/2 shirt… largest I had from a year prior. I think I’m going to hold off on buying any new threads for awhile to say the least.