Taking Care of Yourself after 35

Okay, so I’m finally on the 35 boat.

And I’ve noticed it ain’t the same:

You don’t recover like you used to in your late 20s or early 30s. You can’t push yourself as hard. And some exercises just translate into a sore elbow, knee or lower back.

So… what can I do to make sure I’m still lifting at 45, 55+ and so on?

Aside from all the obvious stuff like diet, sleep, rest, stress reduction etc…

Other than perhaps resting a bit more between sets you should be able to keep making gains. Probably increase supplement activity for good recovery between workouts.

1. Pay more attention to pre-habbing.
  2. Adjust your split to make it more joint/tendon-friendly.
  3. Modify your workouts to do the same.
  4. Consider whether a lower-weight/higher-rep style of training will allow you to achieve your goals.
  5. When bulking, set stricter limits on weight gain (ie, don’t allow yourself to gain as much fat as you might have previously)

Of these, numbers 2 and 3 are probably most important. Hear me now and believe me later: If the way you’re doing things leaves you hurting (in a bad way) at this point in time, it’s only going to get worse as you age if you continue doing things that way.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

1. Pay more attention to pre-habbing.
  2. Adjust your split to make it more joint/tendon-friendly.
  3. Modify your workouts to do the same.
  4. Consider whether a lower-weight/higher-rep style of training will allow you to achieve your goals.
  5. When bulking, set stricter limits on weight gain (ie, don’t allow yourself to gain as much fat as you might have previously)

Of these, numbers 2 and 3 are probably most important. Hear me now and believe me later: If the way you’re doing things leaves you hurting (in a bad way) at this point in time, it’s only going to get worse as you age if you continue doing things that way.[/quote]

This…

I might add that you will have to reassess your metabolism and
diet fairly frequently including macro nutrient ratios. Keeping a consistent diet log helps me a lot. And, as I learned from an 75 year old female
power lifter, “Don’t let what you can’t do keep you from doing what
you can do”.

Look up Dave Draper, he is in his 70’s and still
trains heavy.

OMG ! 35 ! You poor soul…Just kidding,you see I just turned 62 and am a bodybuilder [natty] and at 5’11" and 200 lbs I am blessed not to have recovery problems,no matter how hard I push myself,so I am wondering - are you taking supplements to aid in recovery? If I were you I might look into whey protein shakes with branched chained amino acids. Some people swear by creatine,but it does nothing for me.Also make sure you get enough sleep,it sounds cleche but not enough recovery [rest] has everything to do with what you are feeling. Take care…and good luck!

Get mean. Don’t accept soreness and some irritations as limits and set backs. Stay concentrated on getting stronger or more fit. Let your will be insatiable with the desire to make progress. Stay mean.

TRT is a wonderful thing.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Get mean. Don’t accept soreness and some irritations as limits and set backs. Stay concentrated on getting stronger or more fit. Let your will be insatiable with the desire to make progress. Stay mean. [/quote]

This, my experience is different than some but my opinion is not to waste to much energy, and the recovery, on dicking around but BS stuff. If, after you get your squats, deads and bench in, you still have energy then you can play around with cable and machine crap but it should be the first to go if you don’t have the energy.

Of course everything depends on your lifting goals first and foremost.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Get mean. Don’t accept soreness and some irritations as limits and set backs. Stay concentrated on getting stronger or more fit. Let your will be insatiable with the desire to make progress. Stay mean. [/quote]

This, my experience is different than some but my opinion is not to waste to much energy, and the recovery, on dicking around but BS stuff. If, after you get your squats, deads and bench in, you still have energy then you can play around with cable and machine crap but it should be the first to go if you don’t have the energy.

Of course everything depends on your lifting goals first and foremost. [/quote]
Yep…

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Also dress and go MEDIEVAL on shit every chance you get.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

Also dress and go MEDIEVAL on shit every chance you get. [/quote]

Obviously.

He guys, super-appreciate the feedback!

No, I’ve been off supplements for several years now;

I used to have one mean-ass stack from whey to BCAAs, creatine, glutamine, glucosamine, fish oils, tribulus, ZMA and a variety of mutli-vits… you name it. That stuff helped me recover FAST and I was literally making gains within weeks.

Seeing how expensive everything’s gotten (I’m from the third world where good food is usually accessible to special people), the only supps I’m on is a multi-vit, along with calcium, magnesium, b6 complex and zinc. (and there’s no guarantee it’s the genuine stuff you get from the manufacturer)

In our part of the world, food is mostly contaminated or maligned in some way, so you don’t really know how much nutrition you’re getting out of it. Wasn’t this bad about 10 to 15 years ago.

Anyhoo, I’m going to start saving for supplements now - at least whey, glutamine, creatine and fish oils are an absolute must. I have a feeling half my workout efforts and labor are going to waste… need to get a stack fast. Plus, I need to either cut back on the coffee or give it up altogether - flushes out too many proteins, minerals, vitamins and water from your body, especially when your diet isn’t well-rounded.

Miss my training days from the mid to late 20s…used to train like a friggin animal.