Take BCAAs on an Empty Stomach?

that’s what the bottles says… if that’s so, how empty must it be… i wanna take some before going to bed, but i’m never on an empty stomach except morning since i’m always getting hunry and eating…

It doesn’t matter whether they are consumed with food or not.

i found the best way to use them was periworkout.

i’ve also used them between meals while cutting, but since you are “always hungry and eating” and likely getting plenty of calories and protein, then why dump good money on these things? just eat whole food. perhaps ensuring you get at least 20g of protein with each meal/snack would be more practical and much cheaper.

I always thought they had to be consumed while the presence of other aminos are in low quantities in the blood. Id wait at leat 1.5 hours after your last meal.

[quote]ritch1 wrote:
I always thought they had to be consumed while the presence of other aminos are in low quantities in the blood. Id wait at leat 1.5 hours after your last meal.[/quote]

This doesn’t make any sense when you realize that all complete proteins contain BCAAs and we have no trouble utilizing them in this context.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[quote]ritch1 wrote:
I always thought they had to be consumed while the presence of other aminos are in low quantities in the blood. Id wait at leat 1.5 hours after your last meal.[/quote]

This doesn’t make any sense when you realize that all complete proteins contain BCAAs and we have no trouble utilizing them in this context.[/quote]

True, but if you add extra bcaas to your shake you then have what I suspect is much more than the body can utilize. So Id drink the bcaa shake post workout with dextrose and whatever else you throw in there, and since bcaa`s are quickly absorbed, I drink the protein shake 30 or so minutes later, followed by a meal 1 hour later. I just see it as a way to get maximum benefits from each.

[quote]ritch1 wrote:

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

[quote]ritch1 wrote:

This doesn’t make any sense when you realize that all complete proteins contain BCAAs and we have no trouble utilizing them in this context.[/quote]

True, but if you add extra bcaa`s to your shake you then have what I suspect is much more than the body can utilize.
[/quote]

What evidence have you seen to support this?

I have not seen anything anectodal or research based to lend any credibility to this theory.

That’s not to say that spreading protein/amino acid intake throughout the day is a bad idea, but then again there’s been more and more talk of protein pulsing lately, which involves pulses as opposed to keeping blood levels of amino acids relatively steady.

Anecdotal in my case. I do this when dieting. During the workout I have 20 grams as well. The theory behind this is pulsing and getting maximum absorption for each pulse. Plus if Im not mistaken bcaas increase nitrogen retention higher than whey. So you get the bcaa in when you stomch is empty (especially intra workout) and besides a whey drink is not ideal here anyway… Its also to keep you anticatabolic. So you get a positive nitrogen boost during each drink followed by the meal. I just find it works! In the end the difference is not that big from having the bcaas with a shake, its more of a a caution thing to make sure youre not wasting your $$$.

From other amino experience like tyrosine, its best to take it empty stomach ( a good hour after your last meal ) for its effects, glutamine as well ( if you think it works…) so along with that line of thinking I put the bcaa`s in there as well.