T Nation

Take a Nap After Workouts?

I have read JB’s massive eating threads over a couple of times just incase anyone was wondering/wanting to post the links. Just trying to get a tune-up on what I am doing.

I was wondering if it is bad to take a nap after a workout. I read a post/tip from CW that naps are very beneficial. Of course, I took it as one during the afternoon sometime.

I usually get up at 5:30am, eat some tuna and a protien shake. Then, I strecth and jog to the gym for my warm-up. My workouts are generally 45-60 minutes in length. I get out around 7:00am.
Then I go eat. Usually, I eat about three eggs, 2-3 pieces of wheat bread, and some potatoes(if they are available). Sometimes I drink 1 glass of water and 1 glass of skim milk. Lately, I have been just drinking a lot of water instead of the milk. Also, I have been debating on taking one more protien shake between the end of the workout and the meal(I have 15 minutes to spare til the cafeteria opens).
After this is over, I don’t have class on MWF for 2.5 more hours and on TTH for another 11.5 hours. Seems like a nap right after could possibly be beneficial, but something in my gut says no.

So, 1.) Are my morning eating habits okay? Should I take that protien shake right after my workout and still eat?

2.) Should I get that nap in right then, or wait until the afternoon?

THANK YOU!

I have read JB’s massive eating threads over a couple of times just incase anyone was wondering/wanting to post the links. Just trying to get a tune-up on what I am doing.

Go ahead and nap if you want, I know it makes me feel better. I’d eat more calories if I were you. Maybe some fruit and stuff.

More sleep is always good.

More food is usually good goal dependent.

Phill

I wasn’t thinking straight when I typed this earlier. I eat the 3 eggs, 2-3 pieces of whole wheat bread(toasted), some form of potatoes(usually on days when they serve tator tots I just eat extra fruits), the drinks, a banana, and half of a grapefriut. I could eat more. I just do not have all the calories in my day figured yet.

Something that feels like a problem to me is that all the potatoes the school fixes are fried. Fried potatoes, hashbrowns, and tator tots. The fried potatoes are not that bad though. I usually chow down on those.

I’m glad you guys suggested taking naps. It’s actually kinda hard to calm down enough to sleep after working out. But if you guys say napping right after a workout won’t hurt me, then I will continue. I know I have the time.