Take a Loved One to the Gym

Saw this quote and found it interesting that there had been so many negative responses in another thread about guys working out in parks and other public places doing various upper body workouts - Bartendazz (sp)

“Obesity is one of the biggest public health challenges the country has ever faced, and troubling disparities exist based on race, ethnicity, region, and income,” said Jeffrey Levi, PhD, executive director of TFAH. "This report shows that the country has taken bold steps to address the obesity crisis in recent years, but the nation’s response has yet to fully match the magnitude of the problem.

Millions of Americans still face barriers - like the high cost of healthy foods and lack of access to safe places to be physically active - that make healthy choices challenging."

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

Saw this quote and found it interesting that there had been so many negative responses in another thread about guys working out in parks and other public places doing various upper body workouts - Bartendazz (sp)

“Obesity is one of the biggest public health challenges the country has ever faced, and troubling disparities exist based on race, ethnicity, region, and income,” said Jeffrey Levi, PhD, executive director of TFAH. "This report shows that the country has taken bold steps to address the obesity crisis in recent years, but the nation’s response has yet to fully match the magnitude of the problem.

Millions of Americans still face barriers - like the high cost of healthy foods and lack of access to safe places to be physically active - that make healthy choices challenging." [/quote]

I know there are people for whom healthy food does cost too much, but many people simply don’t make it a priority and spend their money instead on entertainment, new clothes, nicer cars than they need, etc. I make very little money since I’m in school but I forgo many of the things my peers enjoy so that I can afford to eat healthfully. I don’t eat the best quality meats or organic fruits and vegetables, but I don’t complain about that and buy the foods I can afford. I realize those things are more expensive and if I want them I need to make sacrifices and earn them. Shitty food is cheap because it’s shitty. People aren’t entitled to perfect health and they need to do everything in their power to make the right choices instead of complaining that good food costs more than fast food… of course it does, that stuff is garbage… sweet, delicious garbage haha

People like to complain that they can’t have the ideal situation instead of doing what they can.

My friends who say they never have money for a gym or healthy food always have money for the latest Xbox game or 30 cans of strongbow. Priorities

^GOD DAMN! that sounds far too familiar!

Also to the OP was there a lot of people hating on those who workout in parks? I seen some of the videos. Seemed like we were mostly dissing them for not doing any leg workouts. People with Megnavox style physiques. There skill was for real though. It’d be cool to be able to do what they do and still be able to DL over 400lbs.

Bottom line - America is FAT. Find a friend or family member and turn them on to what we do.

Get their far arse in the gym.

i propose we make it a religion, then people would give us money and we could help the fitness challenged. but what would we call it?
and uniforms? T-Nation shirts anyone?

My coworker asked me to help him put on a couple pounds the other day, then recruited our other coworker to train with. He’s about 6’ and 150lbs. I’m pretty happy with the situation and can’t wait till these guys can out squat and deadlift 90% of the people in the gym.

Obesity gets all the headlines, but it should be lack of baseline physical strength that gets shit on. Theres nothing wrong with carrying extra bodyfat, if you are physically capable of carrying it.

I think in a sense you can’t blame lower class relatively uneducated people which suffer the most from this. Mcdonalds and other companies make it their job to appear as if they offer good food for a super cheap price. A mcdouble and small fry is 2$ and tax and does fill you up. On the other hand when you see carrots for 1.00 a bag…while a good price it doesnt exactly make a meal. so it will be along time before people realize the actual cost of healthy eating is identical to garbage.