T Nation

Take a Break From Supplements

Is there ever a time when one should take a break from taking supplements? Whether its a month or greater? If one shouldn’t take a complete break from supplements which ones should remain in ones arsenal?

I’m currently taking the following:

Surge
Beta-7
BCAA
Carbolin 19
Flameout
Power Drive
Creatine
Multi-Vitamin
Caffeine-Free Spike
Metabolic Drive (low carb)
Flax Seed pills

I’ve been taking the following for about 3 months now.

Wow if only I had the money. I would really like to start taking Surge and Metabolic Drive but it just doesn’t last long enough at all. Surge lasts 16 days only.

Most of your list can be taken year round.

I’d probably give Carbolin 19 and Spike a two week break every 12 weeks or so.

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
Wow if only I had the money. I would really like to start taking Surge and Metabolic Drive but it just doesn’t last long enough at all. Surge lasts 16 days only.[/quote]

Are you lifting weights seven days a week? If not, then Surge will last you 16 workouts.

[quote]SBT wrote:
tykraus7 wrote:
Wow if only I had the money. I would really like to start taking Surge and Metabolic Drive but it just doesn’t last long enough at all. Surge lasts 16 days only.

Are you lifting weights seven days a week? If not, then Surge will last you 16 workouts.[/quote]

Yeah I just thought of that so it would last a month which isn’t bad. I’m gonna get that in a couple weeks when I have a bit more cash.

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
SBT wrote:
tykraus7 wrote:

Are you lifting weights seven days a week? If not, then Surge will last you 16 workouts.

Yeah I just thought of that so it would last a month which isn’t bad. I’m gonna get that in a couple weeks when I have a bit more cash.

[/quote]

Right on. Enjoy it!

My cash reserve is not endless so I have to use caution when purchasing supplements. This Christmas I gave everyone who might buy me a gift the number to T-Nation and a list of supplements I would like. Hopefully they come through and I get a few supplements as gifts.

I have found that I can’t take them all in one day. Not only do I have to alternate days, I have to skip entire days–or have supp free days. My system/heart just can’t handle the pressure.

Wow! I’d need a couple jobs to support your supp. habit, but that’s awesome to see die hards such as yourself. I’d recommend cycling anything containing stimulants, just as the labels suggest. If it is an Amino Acid, vitamin or mineral etc., take it year round.

Personally, I only stay on creatine for one month at a time and then take a month off. I have been doing this since I first started taking creatine about seven years ago. I like being able to clear my system of the creatine and then loading once again when the next month comes around. After a load week I ususally see about a 10lb increase in at least one of the major lifts.

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
Personally, I only stay on creatine for one month at a time and then take a month off. I have been doing this since I first started taking creatine about seven years ago. I like being able to clear my system of the creatine and then loading once again when the next month comes around. After a load week I ususally see about a 10lb increase in at least one of the major lifts.[/quote]

Unless you’re avoiding red meat and all other creatine-rich foods, you’re still consuming creatine.

And, creatine is naturally occurring in the body anyway, so you can’t, nor would you want to, clear it from the body.

taking creatine has many health benefits i know people that take it year round and don’t even workout i personally don’t believe in loading it or cycling it

Do some of you guys take Spike every day or something??? Because i never take it more than 2 times a week, except when i have midterms and i need to study a lot.