TakaSuzuki's FIREADY Log

Hi! My name is Taka Suzuki.

I am a Fire Engineer/Paramedic. I have about 10 years in the fire service and involved in fireline paramedicine, USAR RTF, firefighter health/fitness, fire academy instructor, and community involvement.

Our profession requires us to be ready at any given notice for any given emergency. It is the “unknown” that requires firefighters to be physically, mentally, and emotionally ready at all times. We are constantly pushing passed our comfort zone with 55 lbs of gear, reduced vision, and increased hyperthermia while losing mobility due to gear. This why fitness is a very important aspect for us. Fitness leads to a better physically, mentally, and emotionally ready firefighter who can make better split-second-decisons while tired.

While dabbling in personal training and functional training, I am excited for this program! If you have any questions regarding any aspect of firefighting, please do not hesitate to ask

Thanks!!
Taka

I completed Block 1 Wk 1 Day heavy hypertrophy on Saturday the 3rd.
A. Zercher squats 3 x 12. @ 155lbs

B. Bench 3 x 12. @ 135lbs

C. Chin ups 3 x 12. The eccentric at 3 seconds was killer. I ended up having to break up the reps into 6’s with a four second rest. I rarely do chinups and saw the deficiency when performing them. I always do pullups so incorporating the chinups will help me a lot.

D. Rack pull below knees 3 x 12. @ 185lbs.

I mixed 3 scoops of Surge in the clear nalgene in the kit and 1800ml of filtered water using the Berkey. I took the first 600 mls 15 mins before this workout. During the workout, I had 600 mls. I felt pretty good throughout the workout and really focused on the slower tempo. After the workout, I finished the last 600 mls.

Take aways:
Being in Southern California, the temperature was 101 at the time of my workout in my garage. The heat made this workout tougher but no cramps while on Surge. I definitely need to incorporate chin ups into my workouts and mix them in with pull ups.

Thanks!!
Taka

2 Likes

Hi T-Nation,

On Sunday the 4th, I woke up and felt good no soreness. Rest day today so did a light jog and stretching. Mixed up 1 scoop of the lemon drop Surge in 1800mls of filtered water from the Berkey filter. Sipped that throughout the day along with water. I felt pretty good!!.

Tomorrow will be day 2 - VO2 Max day.

-Taka

1 Like

Hey T-Nation

Happy Labor Day,

Today, September 5th was 102 in Southern California. The Block 1 Wk 1 Day 2 workout was the VO2 Max / Aerobic Power.
A1. Sled drag forward
A2. Zercher sandbag carry
A3. Sled drag backwards

I performed the workout as a circuit with very little rest between the three movements. At the end of

1 Like

Continuing on…after the backwards sled drag, I took a two minute rest where I drank some Surge and prep’d for the the next set.
I went a little lighter on the weight but I was able to really push harder and move the sled. I have a Garmin Fenix 7x and my avg heart rate was 160s. I felt really good even though the temperature was 102 at the time.

I had 90 lbs on the sled and sled itself is 65 lbs. Totaling 155 lbs. For sandbag carry, I used a 45 lb XD bag. I’ll add a picture of the equipment.

I mixed up 3 scoops of the wild berry Surge in 1800 mls of filtered water from the Berkey. I think I like the wild berry flavor the best. I drank the first 600 mls fifteen minutes before the workout and 600mls during the workout. After I finished, I had the final 600 mls of Surge and two scoops of grass fed whey protein.

I really liked this workout!! It was a fun and quick workout that mimicked what we would do on a scene of a fire!! The added heat made it seem like I was wearing firefighting gear without the restrictions. I also felt really good after about fifteen minutes of rest and consuming Surge.

Tomorrow will be a rest day.
If you have any questions…hit me up!!

-Taka

1 Like

Hey T-Nation,

On Duty for 48 hours on my normal shift. Workout was completed at the fire station.

Finished Day 3 - Power.
3 rounds per couplet. Every rep explosive!

A1. Box jumps - I used a 30 inch box height 5 reps.
A2. Back Squat - 45% of max. 145 lbs for 6 reps. I didn’t know my max back squat so estimated to 315 lbs.

B1. Broad jump. Explosive trying to get max distance and height for 5 reps.
B2. Kettlebell swings. Utilized a 70 lb KB for 10 reps. Really focusing on grip and glute.
That’s the heaviest we had at the fire station.

C1. Plyo-push up from bench for 5 reps
C2. Bench press. Used 105lbs for 45% of max. I think I could go a little heavier.

Overall, felt great throughout this workout. I really tried to perform each movement as explosively as possible. I prepared 3 scoops of wild berry flavored Surge in 1800 mls of water. I drank the first dose 15 minutes prior to workout. During the workout, I consumed 600 mls of Surge and finally had the 600 mls before bed. Felt pretty good despite the heat.

-Taka

Morning T-Nation!

Brent and I completed Day 4 Endurance circuit. We even got our probationary rookie firefighter out there working out and to film us! We decided to make it even more fire ready so we used our SCBAs. They weigh 28 lbs just a little awkward weight distribution but this is how we will work on a fire. Might as well train like how we are going to play.

We performed this circuit style. Our rest was short just transition time to different stations.

A1. Bear crawl 33ft.
A2. Sled sprint 33ft. Total weight was 125 lbs.
A3. Sled rope pull 33ft. 125 lbs
A4. Crawling 33ft.
A5. 100 lb bear hug backward carry 65ft. We strapped a 50 lbs vest to a 45 lb XD duffle bag. So not quite 100lbs.
A6. Tire strikes with sledge.

Total time was 24 minutes 17 seconds.

I mixed 3 scoops of wildberry Surge with 1800 mls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout and tried to drink 600 mls during the workout. Due to the short rest/transition time, it was tough to consume anything. However, I felt like since I primed with Surge before the workout, I didnt need Surge during the workout. Drank the last 600 mls before bed.

This was a great workout mimicking our movements on the fire ground. We have 45 minute bottles on our back. Our goal is to conserve as much air from our bottle.
Typically, we would get about 20 to 30 minutes of work while on air during a fire.
Maybe next endurance day, I will try to complete the workout wearing my mask and on air. Doing this workout as a company made it a great way to build team work which is very important in the fire service.

-Taka

How’s it going Everyone!?!

On Wednesday (9/14/22) I competed day 1 week 2 Heavy Hypertrophy.
Performed this workout on duty. On duty from Monday 9/12 - 9/18.

4 x 10 of:
A. Zercher Squat. 155 lbs
B. Bench Press 135 lbs
C. Chin up
D. Rack Pull below knees 185 lbs

Same weights as week 1. The chin ups are a work in progress. Broke them down 6/4 for set 1 and set 2-4 broke them down to 4/3/3. The tempo of three seconds for the eccentric makes it very difficult. I added some lat pulldown with the chin up grip and worked on a 5 second eccentric and 1 second concentric to work on making them better.

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and 600 mls one hour before bed. I also mixed up some organic bone broth protein and consumed that post workout.

I have noticed a huge difference the next day after taking Surge. I have not had any DOMS and feel like Im ready to go the next day.

-Taka

1 Like

Good Morning T-Nation,

Thursday (9/15/22), I completed Wk2 Day 2: VO2 Max Aerobic Power.

3 x 3 minutes (Circuit style)

A1. Forward Sled Drag - 35lb sled with 90 lbs. Total 125lbs
A2. Zercher Sandbag Carry - used XD 45 lb duffle
A3. Backward Sled Drag - 35lb sled with 90 lbs. Total 125lbs

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and 600 mls one hour before bed.

Great workout and fun aerobic session!! The Zercher carry was challenging to the core.

-Taka

1 Like

Block 1 Week 2 Day 4 - Endurance Strength

7 rounds with weighted vest (25lbs)
No rest

A1. Bear crawl 33ft
A2. Sled sprint rope over shoulder 170lbs
A3. Sled rope pull 170lbs
A4. Crawl
A5. Backward bear hug carry - XD 150lb bag
A6. Tire strike with sledge

Total time: 24:50

Improvement from Week 1 time of 24:17 for 6 rounds. This week I increased the weight on the sled and an extra round of work.

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and 600 mls one hour before bed.

1 Like

Block 1 Week 2 Day 3 - Power

What’s up T Nation,

Performed this workout on duty during morning PT today.

3 sets (everything explosive) of:

A1. Box jumps 34" x 5
A2. Back squats (50%) x 5 - 160lbs
Rest 2 mins
B1. Broad jump x 5
B2. Kettlebell Swings x 10 - 70lbs
Rest 2 mins
C1. Plyo pushup from bench x 5
C2. Bench press (50%) x 5 - 115lbs

I think I could go heavier on the weights movements and so be explosive. Increase my box jump height and up my weights from week 1. Felt good today!

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and I will drink 600 mls one hour before bed.

-Taka

1 Like

Block 1 Day 1 Week 3 - Heavy Hypertrophy

5 x 8 of:
A. Zercher squats - 175lbs
B. Bench press - 155lbs
C. Chinups
D. Rack pull below knees - 205lbs

Performed this on duty yesterday (9/25/22). I felt strong and was able to go heavier from the last week. I was able to add 20lbs to the three lifts. I narrowed my grip on the chinups and that seemed to help. First set was 6reps then 2reps. 5/3, 4/4, and then the rest were 4/2/2. The three second lowering of the chinups make it very difficult.

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and I will drink 600 mls one hour before bed.

Today is active recovery day because last night was a long night responding to medical calls.

-Taka

1 Like

Hey T Nation,

I completed Block 1 Week 3 Day 2: VO2 Max / Aerobic Power yesterday (9/29/22).

Circuit style with little rest
4 x 3 mins per movement:

A1. Sled drag forward - 175 lbs
A2. Zercher sand bag carry - 45 lb XD heavy duffle bag
A3. Sled drag backwards - 175 lbs

Felt good throughout the workout and did not rest much. I think i need to add some weight to zercher carry although three minutes is a long time and taxing to the core

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during the workout, and I drank 600 mls one hour before bed.

Tomorrow will be Power day.

-Taka

Hey T Nation,

Sorry I have been M.I.A…I strained my left groin at work and took a week off. I was working 10 of 11 days and I think my body had a enough. I performed this workout on duty today (10/06/22).

4 sets (everything explosive) of:

A1. Box jumps 34" x 5
A2. Back squats (55%) x 4 - 175lbs
Rest 2 mins
B1. Broad jump x 5
B2. Kettlebell Swings x 10 - 70lbs
Rest 2 mins
C1. Plyo pushup from bench x 5
C2. Bench press (55%) x 4 - 125lbs

My groin felt ok. I felt a little tightness but was able to complete the movements explosively.

I mixed up 3 scoops of lemon drop Surge with 1800ls of water. Drank 600 mls 15 minutes before the workout, 600 mls during, and Im drinking the last 600 mls as I type this post and before I get to bed.

-Taka

Hey T Nation

I’M BACK!

Had to take some time off due to my groin strain and had an annoying cough for over four weeks. I decided to start the program over so here we go…

Block 1 Week 1 Day 3 - Power.
3 rounds per couplet. Every rep explosive!

A1. Box jumps - I used a 40 inch box height 5 reps.
A2. Back Squat - 45% of max. 145 lbs for 6 reps. I didn’t know my max back squat so estimated to 315 lbs.

B1. Broad jump. Explosive trying to get max distance and height for 5 reps.
B2. Kettlebell swings. Utilized a 70 lb KB for 10 reps.

C1. Plyo-push up from bench for 5 reps
C2. Bench press. Used 115lbs for 45% of max for 6 reps

Drank 600 mls of Surge 20 minutes before, during, and 1 hour before bed for a total of 1800 mls.

-Taka

Morning T-Nation,

Block 1 Week 1 Day 2: VO2 Max Aerobic Power.

Wore full turnouts and went on air for this workout. I was able to complete this workout with one air bottle.

3 x 2 minutes (Circuit style)

A1. Forward Sled Drag with prowler and 45 lb plate
A2. Zercher Sandbag Carry - used XD 45 lb duffle
A3. Backward Sled Drag with prowler and 45 lb plate.

Not sure how much the prowler weighs but I would estimate 75lbs.
The zercher carries were taxing to the core.

-Taka