Tailgating Before Games...

Being a Canadian and after a couple of years of procrastinating, I decided to too get organized and purchased some tickets to an NFL game in October. Arizona and Dallas on October 10. I am taking my two boys who are NFL freaks.

We definetly want to take in all of the festivities including tailgating.

Just a couple of general questions for anybody who enjoys these activities.

How early should we be there?
Can food and drinks be purchased in the parking lot?
Is it appropriate for a 14 year old and an 18 year old?
What do we need to know to enjoy this experience?
Should we each bring a tailgate or will one Ford F350 do?

Harley

It kind of depends on how all-out you want to go. If you’re tailgating for realsies, I’d show up 4-5 hours early. It’s going to be a lot of people just hanging out, getting drunk, and eating food. I’d say it’ll be approporiate, it’s an American tradition! Food and drinks are kind of the entire reason you tailgate; so you can either some food yourself or with some new friends you met tailgating. One F350 should do fine. There’s really not much to it. Show up, grill some food, drink some beer, watch some football.

Buy a set of cornhole boards and you will make friends in a hurry.

[quote]Harley_63 wrote:
Being a Canadian and after a couple of years of procrastinating, I decided to too get organized and purchased some tickets to an NFL game in October. Arizona and Dallas on October 10. I am taking my two boys who are NFL freaks.

We definetly want to take in all of the festivities including tailgating.

Just a couple of general questions for anybody who enjoys these activities.

How early should we be there?
Can food and drinks be purchased in the parking lot?
Is it appropriate for a 14 year old and an 18 year old?
What do we need to know to enjoy this experience?
Should we each bring a tailgate or will one Ford F350 do?

Harley
[/quote]

1. I usually gcet there 5 hours before the game. But that has to do with parking mostly (we have a landscaper trailer and need a curb spot).
  2. From my experience no. After the game there are people selling pretzels in shopping carts. But for the most part, bring some meat and delicious shit and grill er up.
  3. Well I don’t know how old your kids are, but depending on their age bring some stuff. Pigskin, bean bag toss, tv maybe, etc. If they’re old enough to drink then there is no greater place to do it than at a NFL pregame.
  4. I think the Ford will do just fine. Before we had a trailer we could fit everything we needed in 1-2 sedans. Collapsible grill, collapsible chairs, a few coolers with food/beverages, a football, a collapsible table we got at costco, a tv sometimes, a radio depending on the time of the game.

Don’t count on food being sold (probably would be overpriced anyways).

Just bring a grill, way too much food, and beer.

I’d say it’s appropriate for the kids to go as long as they can take some foul language.

Also count on one of the most fun day’s ever if the weather is good.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:

I’d say it’s appropriate for the kids to go as long as they can take some foul language.

Also count on one of the most fun day’s ever if the weather is good.[/quote]

On a side note I fucking love autocrat and miss it being easily found at Dave’s market… eclipse is crap, I keep 4 bottles of autocrat in my fridge at all times, right next to the fish oil.

Food isn’t usually sold.

5 hrs IMO is too early, then again I’ve only tailgated twice. One time it was only 30 mins which isn’t enough, the other time was probably 90 mins which was good enough for me :shrug:

I’d say 2-4 hrs would be a good time frame.

You’re driving to Dallas in an F350? wow, that’s gonna cost a good chunk of change, have fun!

oh yeah, F’ Dallas

[quote]dg401 wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

Also count on one of the most fun day’s ever if the weather is good.

On a side note I fucking love autocrat and miss it being easily found at Dave’s market… eclipse is crap, I keep 4 bottles of autocrat in my fridge at all times, right next to the fish oil.
[/quote]

I bet it would make a hell of a protein shake flavoring for the morning mixed with some vanilla protein.

These guys have it covered. Have a great time.

On a side note are any Canadians going to the Bills/Dolphins game in Toronto?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Food isn’t usually sold.

5 hrs IMO is too early, then again I’ve only tailgated twice. One time it was only 30 mins which isn’t enough, the other time was probably 90 mins which was good enough for me :shrug:

I’d say 2-4 hrs would be a good time frame.

You’re driving to Dallas in an F350? wow, that’s gonna cost a good chunk of change, have fun!

oh yeah, F’ Dallas[/quote]

Thanks

The F350 thing was a crude attempt at a joke…you know…like i’m bringing a F350 Tailgate for the tailgate party! oh well forget about that.

We are actually flying into Phoenix and we will have a rental vehicle and no BBQ thats why i asked. I know you can buy those disposable BBQ’s which I will look for one at that f*&%ing Walmart or something.
My boys are 14 and 18 and they have been drinking for years now.

I hear that the stadium in Glendale isnt the best, but we are looking forward to the experience.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Buy a set of cornhole boards and you will make friends in a hurry.[/quote]

i know I’m probably walking into this one but what is a cornhole board?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
These guys have it covered. Have a great time.

On a side note are any Canadians going to the Bills/Dolphins game in Toronto?[/quote]

Not me, I try and avoid Toronto. I’ve read that Edmonton is actually closer to Mexico City than it is to Toronto.

[quote]Harley_63 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Buy a set of cornhole boards and you will make friends in a hurry.

i know I’m probably walking into this one but what is a cornhole board?[/quote]

It’s basically a wooden board type deal with holes in it. You throw bean bags into them like horseshoes. A lot of people have em painted for their team as well as the bean bags. Great entertainment for drunken tailgaters.

[quote]Harley_63 wrote:
[/quote]

be careful with that, underage drinking laws are a lot tighter in the US. Depending on the cops and the city/state, you could get in a lot of trouble if you get caught with your 2 underage boys drinking.

also, thread hijack, but wow, 2, now 3, Rhode Islanders in 1 thread, this might be a new record.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
Harley_63 wrote:

be careful with that, underage drinking laws are a lot tighter in the US. Depending on the cops and the city/state, you could get in a lot of trouble if you get caught with your 2 underage boys drinking.

also, thread hijack, but wow, 2, now 3, Rhode Islanders in 1 thread, this might be a new record.[/quote]

Sorry another attempt at a joke.
They are both good boys who love football.
We are just looking forward to the game and experience.

Tailgating rules at stadium

�?� No tailgating in empty stalls. Parking-lot tailgating is limited to the area directly behind or in front of the vehicle.
No charcoal grills - gas or propane grills only.
No glass containers at Sportsman’s Park or in parking lots.
Parking lots open four hours before the game and close one hour after the conclusion of the game.

Source: Arizona Cardinals Web site

You may have already seen this…Its about the 8-Acre lawn they have at the stadium that was made for tailgating.

http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/detail.php?PRKey=1007

Heres some tailgating photos i found, just so you know what to expect.

http://www.tailgating.com/Tour%2002/Cardinals.htm

This is what a cornhole board looks like, although ive never heard it called cornhole, it sounds more like a game they play in prison.

[quote]JuiceBox wrote:

�?� No tailgating in empty stalls. Parking-lot tailgating is limited to the area directly behind or in front of the vehicle.
Parking lots open four hours before the game and close one hour after the conclusion of the game.

You may have already seen this…Its about the 8-Acre lawn they have at the stadium that was made for tailgating.

[/quote]

Now thats what I’m talking about!!
THanks Juicebox!!!

[quote]JuiceBox wrote:
This is what a cornhole board looks like, although ive never heard it called cornhole, it sounds more like a game they play in prison.[/quote]

Yeah, if someone asked me if I wanted to play cornhole, I would have to decline. Unless it was a women.

[quote]JuiceBox wrote:

[/quote]

Arizona Cardinals and party don’t belong in the same sentence