Tailbone Pain

I just got done with a full-body workout consisting of squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, bench, etc. and my tailbone is killing me now. I have had this nuisance for the last couple months. It goes away a couple days after the workout. I am thinking it is from the squats and hang cleans. Does anyone else have this problem?

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
I just got done with a full-body workout consisting of squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, bench, etc. and my tailbone is killing me now. I have had this nuisance for the last couple months. It goes away a couple days after the workout. I am thinking it is from the squats and hang cleans. Does anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

Are you sure it’s your tailbone? The small pointy bone at the very bottom of your spine otherwise known as the coccyx? If it is I have no idea how anything, but some kind of impact trauma would cause this. I’ve bruised mine before, but it was from falling backwards off a chair and flying over the handlebars and landing on my ass at high speeds while racing BMX years ago.

The only thing I can think of is using a bench to stop you while squatting which is a bad idea I’ve seen a few people do.

Dude want to see some pain. This is my brothers ass after a dirt bike accident.

Do you squat deep?

I have the tailbone pain issue. Could lead back to when I injured the tailbone when I was kid. Usually it is inflammation in the area that can be controlled with Ibuprofen (and not taking 2 advil when you feel the pain - but keeping steady levels of Ibuprofen in your system). This is advice a doctor would be likely to give. If it is a cyst (pollinoidal)from injury or impact, you can opt for surgery but its a long, uncomfortable recovery from this surgery.

Or, you can just deal with the pain. It sucks, but thats what I do. It does come and go and hasn’t stopped me from working out. Good luck.

I assume you’re actually looking for a usefull response.

What is likely happening is that your piriformis on one side is strained/tight from your intense workout. Assuming you didn’t hurt yourself in the past or do box squats on a cinder block.

There are articles here, Eric Cressey comes to mind, about targeting the piriformis with a foam roller or tennis ball.

Releasing the piriformis will stop the pain. You may find doing some pre-workout piriformis rolling ala cressey would prevent future issues. Thats what I do.

If you have a chiropractor, massage practitioner, or ART guy, any of them should be able to confirm and address this.

I’d avoid a regular ‘doctor’ on this one. Rather than fix the simple issue of a small muscle pulling on the nerve-rich tailbone, the medical approach to this issue starts with drugs, and ends with cutting off the tailbone! All for a tight piriformis!

I’m guessing your pain is probably on one side. If it isn’t, my response is useless.

Don’t quote me on this, but you might be having problems with your sacroiliac joint which I believe the piriformis attatches to. You’re lower back is probably very tight along with your hamstrings so I’d start there. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I’ve had similar pain before and it’s seemed to usually be related to putting a little too much strain on my lower back via bad form on deads.