Tail-End of a Diet Phase

have been dieting for around 10/11 weeks. started at 192 got down to 171. read a lot of articles on here took a lot of advice and learned some thing along the way. eating about 1900/2000 cals on average right now. i believe i started out to low as it’s slowed down and been harder the last 2 weeks. been running whole body every other day with a little bit of tabata assault bike mixed in. have still been able to hit PRs and rep PRs ok several lifts up to this week. looking for feedback on physique as well as advice to get the last off of that’s the route i go. continue dieting or possibly go back to maintnece for a few weeks to build metabolism back up. i am also extremely active. thanks y’all for all the great content and support.

2 Likes

Happen to have any before pics?

If you’re a T Nation Plus member, you’ll be able to see a sneak preview of my article on non-linear dieting (link below), which sounds like a good next step for you. If you’re not a plus member, the article will be available to everyone in a few weeks or so.

The gist is to diet hard for the 5 weekdays (35% below maintenance), then go back up to maintenance calories on Saturday and Sunday (get those extra calories from carbs).

2 Likes

this is where i started at

No advice, but great work brother

5 Likes

Great job my man!

1 Like

That is a fairly long cut, plus your rate of weight loss averaged about 2lbs a week.

This would most likely be the case. I would try to maintain for about 2 months, trying to add muscle. Be sure to eat clean still. Then back to your cut. I never like to lose muscle in a cut. You are close enough to take the cut a little slower.

2 Likes

nice work

1 Like

Great work. Did you just finish a workout before taking the after pics? (Aka pumped photos). Wondering if you worked out arms and or shoulders prior? The thing I see I would work on most is the delts. You need to widen out a bit up top to get a better taper. This is only if we are being picky. You certainly look good enough not to sweat the details but if you asked for an improvement area that would be my take.

1 Like

For our help, pics of your legs gives us added information. I would like to start seeing some quad muscle separation.

1 Like

thanks i was thinking something along those lines.

thanks for the feedback. yes post workout photos with arms and shoulders being done last. i have always felt “boxy” and agree with the lacking delts. any tips on helping them grow?

minimal quad separation still at this point. it has been challenging for them grow as well as be defined despite them getting stronger and a lot of focus.

The more muscle the more separation you will see with the same fat pounds. Also, start flexing your thighs in the mirror on non-leg days. And post pics of your thighs flexed. This is important, and I have a Frank Zane story to prove that, if needed.

I’m the opposite of you, my shoulder over power my arms so I wouldn’t be a good source for this advice. You will have to try a couple variations of targeting them until you find what works anyway. For me, improving arms, it’s a lot of slow eccentric combined with hitting them often. It also could be your pump is throwing things off a but depending on how you worked the surrounding muscle groups. That’s why I asked about that.

1 Like

oddly i would say my lats and shoulders are two of my stronger parts. have decent oh press and weighted pull ups but still seem to be less developed. i believe from my type of training over the last years. triceps being stronger as wel with weaker biceps. i have just recently started isolation training and will train these parts more so now

legs on a non raining day t

4 Likes

Nice solid leg development at this stage. Keep it up.

1 Like

Incredible progress brother!! You’ve come such a long way! Probably due for a “diet break” for a few weeks before dropping calories gradually again.

1 Like

Nice work!

I’m older, on TRT, so take my advice with a grain of salt - it has worked okay for me.

The IF thing is good. @Chris_Shugart recommended something I view as 5/2 IF, but I’m not a + member and am not that familiar with that model, I use 16/8.

I’ve gotten a little wacky on LISS training fasted, eating sort of low carb - primarily concerned with minimizing glucose spikes by increasing my fiber.

Because I am older, and don’t recover as quickly as younger men, I avoid HIIT altogether. I do ride my bike about 40 miles a week, but mainly as transportation, so it might mimic HIIT (hills, flats, just taking in the scenery).

I try to do things intuitively, which is really just an excuse for having a cheat meal or taking a day off. But, it also keeps it somewhat fun and interesting, which allows me to stick with it.

Biggest thing I have to offer is to encourage you to be patient. I have a good workout and expect to look like Frank Zane immediately after - I have to remind myself that it takes time. The little things add up (sugar free ketchup and barbecue sauce for example).

Enjoy the journey.