T Nation

Taekwondo

I just enrolled in a Taekwondo class, I was wondering what exercises I should be focusing on? Does anyone else here have experience in taekwondo?

Hey, I used to practice TKD. Now I just lift and dream about training again. I found that doing all the basics with an emphasis on performing with explosive power and speed really made a difference in my sparring. I would suggest doing a search for “Lift Fast, Get Big” or TBT (Total Body Training) as these workouts allow time for plenty of MA training.
Stay strong,
Dan

I’m in a style that’s very similar to TKD. It’s called Sikaran, and basically is long-range kicking style.
As a beginner, I would focus on slow kicking. Kick with a lot of control, paying attention to detail. Do this for 10 reps with each leg. I do this for front side, roundhouse, inside/outside crescent and hammer/axe kicks. I recommend you do the same thing 3-5 times per week. The goal of this should be to perfect technique, and commit it to muscle memory, and not about fatigue.

If you’re looking for less specific exercises, I would say uphill and downhill running is great for training your legs for something as leg-focused as TKD.

Hope that helps!

[quote]kligor wrote:
I’m in a style that’s very similar to TKD. It’s called Sikaran, and basically is long-range kicking style.
As a beginner, I would focus on slow kicking. Kick with a lot of control, paying attention to detail. Do this for 10 reps with each leg. I do this for front side, roundhouse, inside/outside crescent and hammer/axe kicks. I recommend you do the same thing 3-5 times per week. The goal of this should be to perfect technique, and commit it to muscle memory, and not about fatigue.

If you’re looking for less specific exercises, I would say uphill and downhill running is great for training your legs for something as leg-focused as TKD.

Hope that helps![/quote]

im thinking he meant exercises in the weight room (as in lifting? correct?). I’m a third degree blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do, i think the best thing you can do is buy a MMA DVD from Mike Mahler, google him if you want, he writes here at T-nation, but his training DVDs are designed and geared towards MMA and MA enthusiasts in general.

Hope that helps

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I think my next routine will be a leg based strength routine. Any books you guys think I should be looking at? HD, what part of Indiana are you from?

What form of TKD are you doing? If it is Oly style then there are some differences in how you want to train.

Without assuming what form of TKD you are doing (i have done both), i take the philosophy of getting as much training from your art as possible (i.e. speed and endurance work), as most of these things are skill-specific (like endurance). This is especially true if you are new to the art.

In the weightroom,(method depending on training-age), you should work on strength and power. With that in mind, I would suggest a form of high-intensity, low-ish volume program, so strength training doesn’t interfere with the practice of the sport. Also, don’t forget your P-chain!

As far as what program to do, i personally use a modified Westside-like template. I really like the ME work for legs. Pretty much you need to try a lot of different methods and find out what works for you. As for where to start looking, CT’s,CW’s,Defranco’s, Dan John’s and Robertson’s articles on training athletes are the best place to start.

I got my black belt in TKD a long ass time ago. Focus on control with your kicking and be careful not to overtrain when going through a leg specialization period. The extra 2-4 times a week of an hour of TKD will be fairly taxing. And exactly like was said before me… Don’t worry so much about power, have good technique and build on it. Your forms will help you with that. Sparring is a lot more loose and fun. Enjoy it :wink: