T Nation

Taekwondo Considers its Future

I have to say tho. when the kicks are done fluidly and perfectly it is a beautiful art.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
I have to say tho. when the kicks are done fluidly and perfectly it is a beautiful art.[/quote]

So is salsa dancing. The question is what it’s good for.

good for flexibility :). I do think it has some merit. a lot of the 1 step techniques can be pretty effective. but what it comes down to in any combat sport. get th guy on the ground so you can get away. I’m not saying I can take a guy out in a fight. fuck. I remember at the end of my TKD career I got jumped by some gangbangers. they caught me by surprise and there were 2 doing the beating and sucker punching while 3 more stood there ready to pounce if I acted up on them. TKD helped me none. to b honest I didn’t retaliate because of the conditions 5 gang bangers to me. even if I would have gotten 1 or 2 real good.

I know they would just came back in more #'s un armed. I did tell my instructor what happened and was pissed. he was dissapointed in himself. we all thought karate was done. but then machida made it as popular as the karate kid did. I am glad I took up boxing though… boxing teaches you how to throw some pretty damn powerful punches and learn how to take em. TKD… no comment. however I get u with a roundhouse, any kind of side kick, front kick,… I gaurentee your going down hard with plenty o broken ribs. I don’t know if you guys were aware but TKD has some grappling techniques similar to bjj. arm bars etc…