T Nation

Tae Kwon Do Club at School?

There is a club at my college that I was thinking about joining. Its the karate club and they practice tae kwon do. I have been very interested in learning a style of fighting mostly for self-defense and to give me something to do and get good at. Do yall think it is a good idea? I know hardly anything about martial arts or where to start.

Well, which is it, tae kwon do or karate? Which style of karate? (Shotokan and Kyokushin are the most popular soft and hard styles, respectively).

Anyway, between those two, TKD is more acrobatic and flashy, but less useful. It’s also more of a sport (ie point-system oriented). Karate styles are usually either more “realistic” (kyokushin is similar to kickboxing) or “internal” (meditative, like shotokan). I hope that helps, but I really need more info before saying anything else.

G

Using TKD to get beat up pretty bad one time led me to start training muay thai, if that helps.

If you want to learn self-defense, I don’t think Tae Kwon Do is the best choice. In reality, fights are nothing like Tae Kwon Do fights.

Much of a fight is about who gets the first hit, and much of a fight depends on luck. If you are going to get in a fight, you should have good boxing/wrestling skills, learn how to take a hit, and be able to defend yourself against blade attacks.

Also if I had to recommend a martial arts style to learn for defense it would be Krav Maga.

I’d find out if it’s ITF or WTF or ATA TKD. Both WTF and ATA practice more of the Olympic style (all feet no hands) style of sport combat and is what most people think of when you say TKD. ITF remains hands and feet combined (during both point and continuous sparring).

Even then, much depends on the instructor. I’d go a few times, see how much the instructor knows and how much his students know. What are they focusing on? If they focus more on forms or breaking and don’t spar regularly (as in weekly) - I’d pass. Does the instructor explain when to apply a given technique, etc, etc, etc.

Ive been in fights before in high school, bars, and stuff like that. Ive actually been beat up alot more times than Ive “won”. The classes at my school are free and that why I want to take them there if possible. Here is the site which tells all about the styles they teach.

http://tkd.myweb.uga.edu/index.html

Its a Karate club that teaches Taw Kwon Do so I’m not really sure about it. I just know that I need some kind of training so I can top getting my ass beat. BTW I don’t ever go starting shit either. I kind of missed out on taking wrestling since I’m out of high school already.

Okay - my thoughts based on a real quick review:

I like that they don’t spar according to WTF rules (ie they allow sweeps, leg checks, etc) even though they are a WTF school and use hand techniques (although they only mentioned to the head). I like that the classes are two hours long and I like that the instructor also knows Hapkido and Judo.

I am concerned that even their upper belt tests do not require demonstrating self defense. For my next test (just below black belt) I’ve got to demonstrate 50 self defense moves plus moves specifically against knives and clubs.

Regardless, since it’s free, I think you should give it a try. Plus you should explain to the instructor your particular situation - what happened, etc, etc. Please note, I’m assuming you’re in a situation where you could not simply walk away.

Do it…its free. Its better than nothing. Use youtube and these boards to expand your knowledge on top of this training.

OMC

My ex took the karate class (not TKD) at UGA and really enjoyed it. Do it and have some fun. When you get ready to train for real, check out the Hardcore Gym in Athens.

http://www.thehardcoregym.net/

Since it’s free, I recommend you do it and learn basic body coordination skills and movement patterns you will need in any martial art. But if your goal is street fighting/self defence, I would suggest you start boxing, thai boxing, wing tsun or mma training.

If you want to learn to defend yourself I recommend sports/styles that involve high volumes of sparring/fighting during training sessions.

So : boxing, thai, kickboxing and/or wrestling.

Go for it. Try as many of the different programs that are offered and stick with the ones you like. Since it doesn’t sound like you are currently training, it’s not like training at the university is going to take away from off-campus training. It sure beats sitting around between classes or stuffing your face with burritos and chili.

Taking more advantage of the cheap/free martial arts programs at college is one of the few things I’d change about my college experience.

[quote]Kensei wrote:
My ex took the karate class (not TKD) at UGA and really enjoyed it. Do it and have some fun. When you get ready to train for real, check out the Hardcore Gym in Athens.

[/quote]

Wow, I was looking at that gym and it looks something more like what I want to learn. How much do you think it would cost to join?

Also thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

do they have a boxing club? imo probably just as common and alot more practical.

[quote]elano wrote:
Ive been in fights before in high school, bars, and stuff like that. Ive actually been beat up alot more times than Ive “won”. The classes at my school are free and that why I want to take them there if possible. Here is the site which tells all about the styles they teach.

http://tkd.myweb.uga.edu/index.html

Its a Karate club that teaches Taw Kwon Do so I’m not really sure about it. I just know that I need some kind of training so I can top getting my ass beat. BTW I don’t ever go starting shit either. I kind of missed out on taking wrestling since I’m out of high school already.[/quote]

For a free class that actually looks like a decent deal. The head teachers resume looks decent. 40 years of training, with black belts in three styles.

Moo Duk Kwan is much more combat oriented than TKD. The forms they use are descended from Okinawan forms. Hapkido has a lot of joint locking. Judo can be useful to know.

Then some of the other blackbelts have backgounds in other systems. Shorinji Kempo is a good system of karate. Plus there probably are students with other backgounds training there too, so you probably could learn quite a lot.

The bonus is it’s free. Aside from the obvious benefit of cost another benefit of a free class is that the teachers are not doing it to make money. Instead they are teaching because they have a genuine interest in what they are doing.

I would say go for it.

[quote]elano wrote:
Kensei wrote:

Wow, I was looking at that gym and it looks something more like what I want to learn. How much do you think it would cost to join?

Also thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.[/quote]

Gyms like that in this area usually run around $100 - $150 a month. Hardcore may be on the higher end since they are pretty well known and affiliated with ATT but I also wouldn’t be suprised if they were less because they are in Athens. Most gyms here in Atlanta run about $110 a month. Usually they don’t tell you the price up front. Once you take a free class and your adrenaline is still running, then they’ll tell you some numbers and put a contract in your face. It’s kind of shady. Goodluck though.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
do they have a boxing club? imo probably just as common and alot more practical.[/quote]

There are actually boxing classes too that I was considering. There is a boxing 101, boxing 101/201, and a boxing 201. I was thinking that maybe these classes would be a better alternative to the Tae Kwon Do club. I am kind of nervous about joining these since I have no real previous experience and Im a complete newb to fighting technique. The boxing 101 class description says, “Learn the basic punches, correct footwork, basic patterns of movement. Burn 400-600 calories per workout as you work on core strength, functional strength cardiovascular conditioning and basic technique!”. Those classes last one hour, 2 times a week. Do you think this would be a better place to start?

Just like with weight lifting you need to learn some type of fundamentals first. A boxing class that teaches those would be much more beneficial. Most likely a beginners class would be more patient if you truly have no experience. Once you learn the basics of boxing you can apply those fundamentals to other forms of fighting.

Avoid TKD like the plague.