Tactical Barbell Zulu + KB Work Feedback

I wanted to post this here rather than KB-specific sites because, well, they’re biased.

I want to continue to progress on my KB work, which is a Pavel program that has you do 100 KB swings and 10 get ups 4-6 times a week. I want to also want to continue to keep barbell work in my training for obvious reasons, but want to be mindful of not piling on too many things at a time. I recently got the Tactical Barbell book, which looks awesome albeit very similar to barebones 531 programs. It also is known for its flexibility and fits into other endeavors.

Here are my thoughts going into the New Year. Please let me know if you think it’s too much or just a bad idea. Goals: be fit and strong, progress on my KB swings and get ups. A shorter term goal is to do 100 1-arm swings and 10 turkish get ups with a 36 KG bell within the timed limits of Pavel’s program (5 minutes for the swings; 10 minutes for the get ups). Perhaps achieving this within 1-3 months, while also maintaining overall strength on barbell lifts.

Set up:

Monday: off
Tuesday: Bench press + squat (3-5 sets of 3-5; waves between 70-90% of 1RM) 100 swings, 10 get ups.
Wednesday: OHP + weighted pull ups (3-5 sets of 3-5;waves between 70-90% of 1RM). 100 swings, 10 get ups.
Thursday: 100 swings, 10 get ups. Some pull ups
Friday: Bench press + squat (3-5 sets of 3-5; waves between 70-90% of 1RM) 100 swings, 10 get ups.
Saturday: OHP + weighted pull ups (3-5 sets of 3-5; waves between 70-90% of 1RM). 100 swings, 10 get
Sunday: Some type of conditioning or challenge. Challenge may be sprints or even timed swings/get ups.

TB is the best strength and conditioning program available IMO.

The base building block from TB 2 is a game changer and opened my eyes to the possibilities of a well constructed plan

Awesome to hear. I recently picked up the TB 1 “Strength Training” and have TB 2 coming in the mail. Looking forward to giving it a go. I have been itching to change things up and explore some new protocols (both for strength and conditioning), and hope to integrate TB and KB work for the next few months at least. I love its simplicity and customizability, and the philosophy of the program is right up my alley.

Base Building block into Operator Black is the path I would personally recommend.

I still use a lot of the principles from TB in all my cardio work.

Keep me posted @antiquity or direct me to your log if you chose to go down the TB route

Thanks for the advice! When my TB 2 book arrives I’ll be able to see what that would specifically entail. I do have a training log, but will be starting a new one with the New Year, now that my injury has pretty much healed up (and as motivation for the Transformation thread). I am definitely going to do go TB route, and will also be looking for ways to incorporate KBs into the conditioning work. I’ll tag you when I start the log in a couple of weeks, and may do so earlier with some questions/advice.

1 Like

Nice one man

If you do choose to go down the base building block (do it, it’s a game changer) then make sure you get a HR monitor

Also pick running as your E (Endurance work).

1 Like