Tactical Barbell Base Building

WEEK 4 DAY 1 - Strength Endurance Cluster (SE)

Goblet Squat - 24kg
Push Ups
Chin ups
KB Swings - 24kg
Military Press - 30kg

1 x 50

Quick early morning session today. Session took about 15 minutes. Great way to dust the Monday morning cobwebs off!

I feel I’m losing a little mass as of late. I’m putting this down to the drastically reduced volume and lack of chocolate in my life.

Haven’t weighed myself for a good while, mainly because I keep forgetting to! This and the fact that I don’t like weighing myself during the day when I could have all sorts sloshing about my stomach.

Looking forward to my endurance sessions this week. Up early tomorrow morning for the first one, temperature ok a scotland is hitting 0.5 degrees in the morning.

60 min LISS run

Felt good…

Real good

Few hills in there. Legs were heavy but fuck it, time to grind.

Also went through some of the more unsavoury parts of my hometown, Glasgow.

Namely Possilpark

Watching the junkies scuttling about in the morning, choking for their next heroin hit

Whitelee Windfarm tomorrow for some country air

60 minute LISS run

Done on a treadmill

BORING AS FUCK

Slow as a week in jail.

Watched another episode of WW2 in color. Ep 8 The Soviet Steamroller to be precise however even that struggled to pass the time.

30 minutes tops on that machine from now on. Running should be done outside. The fresh air, dopamine receptors being reset, aided by that clear, outdoors air.

I think I’ve dropped 3-4 kg since I started. The Adonis belt is staring to make its presence felt.

That ‘fit’ feeling is kicking in as well. Lungs feel strong. I’m recovering quickly from any physical work.

The ability to recover between sets is a great indicator of fitness.

Would be good to get some feedback from anyone looking in!

Clocking in

Cool log. The terms you use for being tired and breathing heavy make me laugh. I’m stealing some of your moves, like inverted rows, swings and goblet squats.

When does the next phase start? Do the S.E. Clusters stay in?

1 Like

Thanks @FlatsFarmer. Feel free to pinch a move or two. Are you doing a similar workout?

Week 5 is the final SE week. 3 x 50. Think it works out about 750 reps. I am not looking forward to it. Week 6 - 8 concentrates on max strength and high intensity conditioning.

My workout is a little different, but I think we have similar goals for our training. I’m not much into running, so I walk through the hills/woods and my circuits are way shorter than yours. But you’ve convinced me to go longer and faster or do more reps!

I’m interested to see if your next Block/Phase of training looks more like mine. I’m following a Westside/Conjugate plan that was designed for Armed Forces/Firemen. Barbell lifts are always in there, then assistance stuff. I’m try to use more calisthenics and superset/circuits and work swings in to get more conditioning.

Anyway, keep up the solid work and documentation! It’s crazy how fast the weeks add up when you log your training consistently.

1 Like

Goblet Squat - 24kg

Push Ups

Chin ups

KB Swings - 24kg

Military Press - 30kg

1 x 50

Quick workout today. Volume is decreased in order to accommodate the longer runs.

Still tough however. The squats and swings are the exercises I dread. I’m usually aiming to get the first 25 reps done consecutively at least then breaking them up into mini sets.

@FlatsFarmer I’ve been anti-running for the last few years however my eyes have been well and truly open.

I think it’s the best cardio activity with regards to getting a quick dose of ‘fitness’. It also seems to melt the butter off a bit more. The most important thing it does for me right now is get my HR up with less effort. You need to work hard on the bike to get your HR up there I tend to find.

Even though the weight is light in the SE Clusters, the effort required to get through the last 2 rounds is considerable. How many reps do you aim for currently? The 3 x 40 workout is when you know shit is getting real haha

Next block I’m going with a 3 exercise cluster. Squats, bench press and weighted pull ups. Will trap bar DL once a week too. Reps never go above 5. Sub maximal weight to keep fresh as well

For “big” lifts like squats, deads and benches, one day is around 10 sets of 2-3 reps with non-maximal weights and short rests. Basically, EMOM style, for some power and some conditioning. Then some circuits or supersets, around 20 reps for inverted rows and other assistance stuff.

It’s still a little more Meat Headed than what you’re doing, so it’s good to see your workouts and hope some of it can rub off and influence me.

1 Like

60 Min LISS Run

Hard, boring run.

Definitely getting fitter as I had to run faster to get my heart rate up to scratch .

However my calves and Achilles were taking a pounding. I think I’m just way too heavy on my feet when I run.

Hence the lower average HR.

Most likely going to reduce the runs down to 45 mins next week to accommodate the SE days, which are going to be interesting.

WEEK 5 DAY 1 - Strength Endurance Cluster (SE)

Goblet Squat - 24kg

Push Ups

TRX Inverted Rows

KB Swings - 24kg

Military Press - 30kg

3 x 50

This killed me. Utter brutality.

I walked out that gym looking like I’d been passed about a cell block like a new convict in a max security prison.

Sweat dripping everywhere

That massive vein popping out your skull.

Horrible. Just horrible.

Not too happy about my time. I see some of the other guys doing SE blocks and getting sub 30 minute times. How is that possible? Maybe my weight selection was a bit too much.

HR was pumping like crazy as well.

I’ll be taking Thursdays session at my own pace. Nothing to prove now. The big one has been done.

Cannot wait to start the barbell work next week. I’ve missed it.

Clocking in chaps!

1 Like

The coaches I follow are Adamant that increasing absolute strength increases strength endurance. If you get stronger at low reps on big lifts, then your light high rep stuff gets “easier,” so your endurance is effectively “boosted.”

Does this seem possible, or absurd?

Maybe for push ups or military press. I can crank them out without the need for ‘mini sets’

The squats and swings are a different beast altogether IMO. They get the HR up so high and the lungs burning. I can only manage 30 goblet squats before having to take a wee rest. I was squatting 140kg for 1 rep prior to beginning this block.

45 Min LISS Work

Switched between the treadmill and x trainer today. Needed a rest after yesterday to be honest plus I feel a cold of some sorts coming on. Bummer!

Keeping on the BB train however

Savage doms the day as well, particularly in the hammies and glutes.

It’s interesting that in your last 2 workouts, you had the same avr heart rate over roughly the same time but in the heavy conditioning day your heart rate peaked at a lot higher.

@Irishman92 Absolutely mate. The SE day is full blown cardio pretty much. The KB swings peak the HR like nobodies business.

The LISS day is a walk in the park in comparison.

The only reason I got that times was because I kept thinking about this log! Such a great motivational tool

LISS Run

Brisk pace which picked up after the 20 minute mark.

Those first 20 minutes are always a slog. Legs feel like lead. Shoulders starting to lube up.

After that though you feel everything kick into gear

Took yesterday off as I have a few days off work. Needed a wee rest to be honest. Monday killed me. Will get the work done over the next 3 days.

Goblet Squat - 24kg

Push Ups

TRX Inverted Rows

KB Swings - 24kg

Military Press - 30kg

2 X 50

Well as can be seen, I took my time with this one.

Starting to feel an accumulation of fatigue. Since week 2 every workout has had that ‘grindy’ feel. That having to suck it up and plow on vibe. Especially after coming off nSuns.

That along with the burning lungs. Monday was a tough one. Almost burned me out.

I’ve dropped 5kg since I started the program. Strength levels will have taken a hit however needs must.

Diet has been kept clean bar the odd protein bar or peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Been dabbling with time restricted eating and trying to fit my feeds into a circadian fast style of eating.

No sweets or chocolate whatsoever.

Oh as an aside, chocolate is a fantastic weight/mass gainer. I blow the hell up when I’m eating 2 bags of caramac buttons every night

LSS Run

Early morning number today.

Pavements/sidewalks were iced over today. Had to take care with this one. Had a few hairy moments where I nearly ended up arse over tit…

Low HR throughout thanks to having to take it a little slower.

However I’m now definitely having to up the pace to get the HR up…

Cardio game is at a good level. I feel like my heart and lungs could go on for hours. Muscle endurance is another story though. Legs always feel like they’re made of stone at the start. In saying that, I can feel the difference compared to how they felt at the start of the block.

The SE clusters definitely complement the running.

1 Like

B4DC2A49-E8D4-4A94-AAA7-81DB1934C04F

WEEK 6 DAY 1 MAX STRENGTH DAY

Was pushed for time today.

Viewing a new house and had to pick up the missus however had to squeeze a workout in.

Kept it super spartan and focused. Super setted the chins in between sets. Bench felt quite heavy which pissed me off. Was firing out 225 for reps only 7 weeks ago. 80kg felt like a cotton bud(q-tip) back then.

1 Like

FOBBIT INTERVAL

Treadmill and KB work

Out of respect for K. Black, I’m not going to to divulge in the HIC workouts as you can find them in his book, TB 2. Hopefully that doesn’t cause any issues.

Learned a couple of things today.

1. My cardio game, especially in the HIC arena, isn’t too sharp.

2. The Fitbit is a piece of shit. Useful as tits on a nun. I wear a Polat HR strap and I was averaging 160bpm at the very least. Not going to secrete cortisol over it’s. Will be using my Polar M400 from now on. Pain in the arse to set up however far more accurate.

Workout was killer boots man. Tight chest at the end. Had to break out the inhaler.