Tactical Barbell Base Building

Perhaps you could compromise by naming the workouts but not detailing them? It’d be cool for those of us with the book to know which ones you find most effective and such.

1 Like

Absolutely mate. First one has been named :+1:t2:

Did you enjoy the books? I’ve been re-reading TB2 while in the bath lately. Discovering a few nuggets which I missed first time around.

Quick workout after work. Try to get in and out of the gym in order to avoid rush hour traffic.

Kept the weights the same. Greasing the groove. Squat felt quite gnarly. I’m going super deep on the depth as I’ve started wearing the do-wins again. Feels good squatting in them.

Super-setted the chins between all my sets. On the rings. Love that chin up pump.

Chin ups have the most profound effect on physique in my opinion.

High frequency and chins are a marriage made in heaven. I try to do them every session regardless how I’m training. Wendler put me onto supersetting chins, keeping the reps low, manageable and letting the volume add up.

1 Like

FOBBIT INTERVALS

Treadmill and KB work

Ditched the Fitbit. Ditched as in gave it to my girlfriend.

I’ll use it when I’m checking to see how my RHR is at the end of the block.

Hard session today. Getting a nice pace on the tread and fee like my running technique is coming along.

Was getting a wee groin tweak at the start of the treadmill runs however seems to have disappeared.
Looking forward to my Saturday morning run. First one of the week.

LSS Run

Up early in the freezing cold for a wee run through the streets of Glasgow.

And through a park as well.

Run felt easy. I feel I could up the pace however religiously sticking to that HR zone.

Actively having to slow down to meet the HR in said zone even though I felt I could unleash these new cardio levels that I’ve been building…

2 more weeks…

1 Like

How are your feet/ankles and legs feeling?

Surprisingly well.

I was over in Las Vegas last year and while walking from the strip to downtown(Don’t ask, us Scots like to walk and I was blazing drunk), I ended up going over my ankle and tearing some ligaments. The injury itself took about 6 months to clear up and to this day I still have some pain in the area

However…

I haven’t haf any pain or tweaks in that area since I started this training block. Not a thing. Maybe all that tarmac pounding has toughened up my ligaments and ankles?

As an aside, legs are feelin good and leaning out a little. They definitely feel more muscular

1 Like

WEEK 7 DAY 1 MAX STRENGTH DAY

Bumped the volume up a little.

Easy session.

Clocking in

1 Like

5k Run done for time

This felt good. Sexy good.

Great cardio high at the end. Felt like Bob Morton in Robocop when he’s with the 2 dumb broads snorting drugs, prior to being capped by Clarence Boddiker.

Time wasn’t the best. I’ll put that down to pacing issues. I still need to get my head around that. I’m definitey keeping a 5k run in most of my HIC work. Tough but euphoric at the end.

STRENGTH WORK

Minimal. Sparse. Stripped down… whatever you want to call it.

Have a real motherfucker of a cold kicking in. Chest is wheezy and head has that slight tremor of pain going through it. Pretty peeved in all honesty. Really need to make it through this block.

I read somewhere that the first five weeks of base building is the real meat and potatos. The last 3 weeks being a more modified continuation phase. It seems more like a transition into the Operator template from TB.

Dithering over what template to follow after this block is over.

FOBBIT INTERVAL

Rowing machine, kettlebells and chins

Hard one today. Chest infection kicking in…

Chest was sore. Rowing was weak. Aching all over.

Need to get next week out the way then I’m taking 5 days out.

Spending the rest of the day on the couch, playing the new assassins creed

Hopefully ok for tomorrow’s run which I’ll be doing before work in the morning. Cannot be fucked with it in all honesty…

LSS Run

Cheeky wee number after work.

Had good intentions last night. I intended to run before I started work this morning.

It was -2 outside when I woke up in my super toasty bed. Take from that what you will…

Chest still feels a bit tickety boo. The cold air hit my lungs hard when I started my run.

I think I’ve managed to make this cold less intense with a regimen of magnesium supps, zinc citrate, kefir and kiwi fruits. I have nothing to prove this however i’m rolling with it…

1 Like

You are a stronger man than I. Really impressed with your conviction to go for a 4 and a half km run in sub zero with a cold.

Edit: saw you went after work :joy: I so don’t blame you for that!

1 Like

:joy:

I’ve remained disciplined throughout however yesterday morning was taking the piss! There was no way i was managing that. The pavement was like an ice rink!

There is a fine line between disciplined and fucking mad! Haha

1 Like

WEEK 8 DAY 1

STRENGTH WORK

Quick one. Cold is killing me. Throat is raw as hell.

Had to go for OHP as bench was being used

HIC WORK

5k Run done for time

Not as euphoric as last week. Struggled at the start. Lungs were on fire. Breathing was shallow

5ks really do bring the pain.

1 Like

STRENGTH WORK

Virus is over the worst

Mostly easy reps however last squat rep was a bit of a grinder. Definitely lost a wee bit of strength over this block…

Maybe supercompensation will kick in over my 5-7 day break?

Who knows!

Had a relapse on the nutritional front over the last week. Had a Dominos one day and some chocolate topped off with 3 Krispy Kremes. Sue me…

1 Like

FOBBIT INTERVALS

Treadmill, rowing machine and KB work

Easy session today as the gym was roasting hot.

Sweat pouring into my eyes and stinging the shot out of them

Moved onto the rowing machine after 10 minutes.

HR never got into the zone as much as I would have liked. Maybe I’m being too demanding now.

Final run tomorrow then a few days off before I go onto my next block

LSS RUN

last day of BB

Quick post as I’ve been super busy this weekend.

Will try and get something a little more in depth during the week.