T Nation

Tactical Athlete Pullup System

I am thinking about buying this pull-up system.

www.tacticalathlete.com/tapsbar.htm

For one, it’s portable and, for another, it is 9ft high (most of these types of things are 7 ft tall at best and you have to bend your knees).

Anybody have one of these? Know of another such system that is better and/or cheaper?

Go to bank, take out 40 dollars and put in wallet.
Go to any sports store and locate am “adjustable pull up bar”.
Bring bar to cashier, and take out 40 dollars.
Pay for bar, recieve change and go home.
Find suitable doorway…fit bar tightly and do pullups.
Tada!!

Seriously you dont need more.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Go to bank, take out 40 dollars and put in wallet.
Go to any sports store and locate am “adjustable pull up bar”.
Bring bar to cashier, and take out 40 dollars.
Pay for bar, recieve change and go home.
Find suitable doorway…fit bar tightly and do pullups.
Tada!!

Seriously you dont need more.[/quote]

That doesn’t work for me. I already have a pull-up/dip contraption. The pull-up bar is only about 7 ft off the ground, which sucks. Hanging the adjustable pull up bar from a door would be even worse (of course, if I had higher doors, it would work).

I want to be able to do pull-ups where I dont have to worry about my feet dragging the floor. I also want to hang gymnastic rings from the thing, so I can do dips and pull-ups off of those.

I did just come across this, which is a LITTLE bit cheaper than the other:

i just hanged a bar in the garage with chains, it swings a little but in the end who gives a fuck? Not me.

I found a neat little trick:
if you happen to have a thing called knees you can bend them and your feet will not touch the ground.

[quote]jisboss wrote:
I found a neat little trick:
if you happen to have a thing called knees you can bend them and your feet will not touch the ground.[/quote]

Brilliant!
You should totally patent that idea!

Just lift your legs so they don’t hit the ground.

Or always to L Pull-ups.

Or join a gym.

You did notice it cost $575 plus tax, right?

I sell metal and the material cost about $50.

Shit, I’ll make it for you for 300 just send me the $$$ lol

Oh i have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you too. :slight_smile:

I understand though ESPECIALLY with the gymnastics rings those are a bitch to find something to hang from efficiently

and the bend your knee thing actually gets really fucking annoying after a while.

Imo, find out the quality of metal they’re using because i see NO REASON that shit should cost that much at either website. Find a metal worker and i bet he can make it for 1/2 to 1/4 that price. Though maybe it won’t be adjustable.

If you don’t need an adjustable moveable one you can go to homedepot and rig this up for about 100 bucks over the weekend (and thats PLUS tools)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

I understand though ESPECIALLY with the gymnastics rings those are a bitch to find something to hang from efficiently

and the bend your knee thing actually gets really fucking annoying after a while.

Imo, find out the quality of metal they’re using because i see NO REASON that shit should cost that much at either website. Find a metal worker and i bet he can make it for 1/2 to 1/4 that price. Though maybe it won’t be adjustable.

If you don’t need an adjustable moveable one you can go to homedepot and rig this up for about 100 bucks over the weekend (and thats PLUS tools)[/quote]

Xen Nova. Good ideas. I really don’t want to bend my knees. That is what I have done in the past and it sucks.

I am not much of a handyman. What would I need to get at Home Depot?

Thanks.

anyone could figure out a way to do pull ups without spending 500 bucks. be creative.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I am thinking about buying this pull-up system.

www.tacticalathlete.com/tapsbar.htm

For one, it’s portable and, for another, it is 9ft high (most of these types of things are 7 ft tall at best and you have to bend your knees).

Anybody have one of these? Know of another such system that is better and/or cheaper?[/quote]

i feel where you’re coming from on wanting something higher off the ground, but that system is a complete ripoff. don’t get me wrong it’s nice and serves it’s purpose but it’s just a few peices of overpriced tubing bolted together. if you have ceilings high enough for a nine foot contraption then you should be able to do a high quality wall mounted setup for less than half what the taps bar costs and get the same effect

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i feel where you’re coming from on wanting something higher off the ground, but that system is a complete ripoff. don’t get me wrong it’s nice and serves it’s purpose but it’s just a few peices of overpriced tubing bolted together. if you have ceilings high enough for a nine foot contraption then you should be able to do a high quality wall mounted setup for less than half what the taps bar costs and get the same effect[/quote]

I am putting the pull-up bar outside. I can workout outside here in California 8 months of the year, and I prefer to do so (the other 4 months I go to a gym). I have everything else that I need: weights, squat rack, bench, but I really like to do chins and am deadset on installing something decent. I understand that I could make do with some kind of door attachment, but I don’t want that and it’s not really practical for me to put something sturdier up in my house.

Tomorrow I am going to Home Depot to see if I can get the materials to rig up a system on my own. As I said before, I suck at that kind of handyman stuff, so wish me luck. Any advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

If I decide that it’s beyond my capabilities, I will contact a metal worker/welder about this. I don’t know if most of them do small time stuff like this, but I will ask.