Tacos for Dinner?

Would tacos be considered “bad food” as in not very healthy? Im confused, since you have ground beef and lettuce, but would the shell and cheese make this food one to avoid?

What are your goals? I’m on a low carb diet. So if I wanted tacos I’d use nonfat cheese and wrap them in iceberg lettuce. I’d fill it with the seasoned beef, some salsa, hot sauce, you get the idea.

Goals are to increase strength as much as possible, while avoiding unneccesary fat. The main thing that concerned me about tacos is the shell. Wouldn’t a shell have a lot of carbs, thus making it bad for dinner?

Had them last night with soft shell tortilla. Don’t know how many carbs in those and I don’t care.

Lots of beef, some cheese and lettuce and salsa.

Good stuff unless you are trying to lose weight.

[quote]fisch wrote:
Goals are to increase strength as much as possible, while avoiding unneccesary fat. The main thing that concerned me about tacos is the shell. Wouldn’t a shell have a lot of carbs, thus making it bad for dinner?[/quote]

Which dietary strategy are you following?

It seems that you’re picking up bits and pieces of information related to different diets, based on this and your other posts, and getting confused by them.

Tacos can be fine depending on how they are made and the eating plan your following.

[quote]dg401 wrote:
What are your goals? I’m on a low carb diet. So if I wanted tacos I’d use nonfat cheese and wrap them in iceberg lettuce. I’d fill it with the seasoned beef, some salsa, hot sauce, you get the idea.[/quote]

I guess everyone missed this or I am crazy, but if your on a low carb diet what are you eating low FAT cheese? Isn’t that the point, you eat protein and fat on a low carb diet?

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
dg401 wrote:
What are your goals? I’m on a low carb diet. So if I wanted tacos I’d use nonfat cheese and wrap them in iceberg lettuce. I’d fill it with the seasoned beef, some salsa, hot sauce, you get the idea.

I guess everyone missed this or I am crazy, but if your on a low carb diet what are you eating low FAT cheese? Isn’t that the point, you eat protein and fat on a low carb diet?
[/quote]

Well for one, I’m on JB’s Precision Nutrition. Not exactly a low carb diet, but for fat loss he advises a low carb route.

I like cheese, I like A LOT of cheese. Nonfat mozz has 36 g of protein/cup and whole milk mozz has 25 g/cup with 25 g of fat.

I still get my fats through steaks, beef, tuna, etc. I’m not on the AD.

you can make healthy tacos.

LEAN ground beef. lightly seasoned
Fat free cheese
hard tacos; tough to find whole grain ones
soft tacos; easy to find whole grain ones
whole grain brown rice
hot sauce.

if your on a low carb diet; they might not be the best thing; but if not…do it up!

Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/mission/carb-balance-whole-wheat-tortilla

Problem solved. Actually a great AD / low carb food since you’re getting 8g of fiber and only 4g of carbs. You can eat like 4 and still have only 16g total carbs for dinner.

I had tacos last night.

-chicken grilled on Foreman Grill
-chesse
-homemade chipotle salsa
-avacodo
-wheat tortillas

the only bad thing is the cheese but that is why I workout. Avacado has fat but ‘good fat’. Chicken = protein. Salsa = veggies. Wheat tortillas have low cards and high(er) fiber than flour.

[quote]nycsoccax wrote:
Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/mission/carb-balance-whole-wheat-tortilla

Problem solved. Actually a great AD / low carb food since you’re getting 8g of fiber and only 4g of carbs. You can eat like 4 and still have only 16g total carbs for dinner. [/quote]

I was going to mention those. Good stuff.

Only bad thing is if you go all out and eat like six of them, the next time you take a dump your will more or less give birth to Galvatron the turd.

I make fish/shrimp tacos. They taste great. When I make them, it is for dinner which is my post-workout meal so the carbs are a good thing.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I had tacos last night.

-chicken grilled on Foreman Grill
-chesse
-homemade chipotle salsa
-avacodo
-wheat tortillas

the only bad thing is the cheese but that is why I workout. Avacado has fat but ‘good fat’. Chicken = protein. Salsa = veggies. Wheat tortillas have low cards and high(er) fiber than flour. [/quote]

I’m still not seeing where this cheese = bad connection comes from…

I LOVE making fish tacos and they an excellent and healthy body building food if you make them like mine.

I use some fairly flexible whole wheat soft tortillas
1 Avocado
several leaves baby spinach (instead of lettuce)
non-fat plain yogurt (instead of sour cream)
1 lb fresh Tilapia Filets (2 decent sized filets)
Pico de Gaillo (sp?)
whatever full fat cheese i want at the time

I season with salt + pepper then pan sear my tilapia in some evoo, white wine, and lemon juice until crispy on both sides. Then just lightly chop it up and make 2 kick ass fish tacos out of it all.

yummy and healthy with decent proteins and fats

i think some people might think cheese in the tacos is bad for two reasons

typical ‘taco cheese’ is just shitty; take the cheese from taco bell for instance…its nasaty.

another reason might be because adding cheese to the meal goes against the P+C / P+F method. but if you have fat free cheese, it’s still a P+C meal!

Why does no one eat P+C+F meals ?

[quote]B rocK wrote:
i think some people might think cheese in the tacos is bad for two reasons

typical ‘taco cheese’ is just shitty; take the cheese from taco bell for instance…its nasaty.

another reason might be because adding cheese to the meal goes against the P+C / P+F method. but if you have fat free cheese, it’s still a P+C meal! [/quote]

Ok, both points make sense. I avoid places like taco bell like the plague, so I forget that ‘food’ like taco bell cheese exists sometimes, I’m thinking of sharp chedder, pepper jack, monchego etc. when I think of cheese for a taco.

As for the other point, I guess I’ve never seen a lot of problems with ‘mixing fuels’, in fact, I tend to find that I don’t digest carbs well without some form of high quality fat in the same meal. Also, cheese is amazing.

If I wanted tacos, and wanted to feel like I wasn’t eating a cheat meal I would probably just ditch the tortillas and go the taco salad route. Something like this-

Green leafy stuff(red bib lettuce, baby romaine, spinach etc.)

Diced tomatoes

Sliced jalepenos or similar chilies

Canned black beans

Crockpot chicken(chicken pieces + chili spices + crock pot x a few hours on low until chicken falls apart = yum)

Home made guacamole(avocado mashed up with diced tomatoes and onions, seasoned with lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne)

Big pile of shredded pepper jack(habanero jack mmmmm) cheese

Top the green leafy stuff with everything else, dig in.

I put a good 10 pounds of lean muscle mass in 2 months last winter by eating taco salad.

spinnach leafs
a pound of 95% lean ground beef
medium salsa
green peppers
black beans

absolutely epic. I think I might have it tonight.

[quote]davidtower wrote:
I LOVE making fish tacos and they an excellent and healthy body building food if you make them like mine.

I use some fairly flexible whole wheat soft tortillas
1 Avocado
several leaves baby spinach (instead of lettuce)
non-fat plain yogurt (instead of sour cream)
1 lb fresh Tilapia Filets (2 decent sized filets)
Pico de Gaillo (sp?)
whatever full fat cheese i want at the time

I season with salt + pepper then pan sear my tilapia in some evoo, white wine, and lemon juice until crispy on both sides. Then just lightly chop it up and make 2 kick ass fish tacos out of it all.

yummy and healthy with decent proteins and fats[/quote]

Not bad, and similar to what I do. Although, I prefer using cabbage in my tacos. I love the crunch and it has some good fiber. Plus, I have no problem using sour cream. Sometimes, I do the yogurt thing but I make sure to season it with some onion and garlic powder as well as some cumin and some lemon pepper. Perfect for fish tacos.

For the shrimp ones, I like to drizzle with some fresh lime juice and some homemade mango salsa.

I often eat enchilada’s.

Breast chicken cooked in salsa & taco powder
whole wheat tortilla’s
Tomato, avocado, lettuce, cucumber
cottage cheese

Definatly my favourite meal. I consider it a cheat meal, becuase i alway’s eat about 6 hahaha