Tacky and Stones

This question is for anyone who has experience using tacky for stone lifting. I use Elite Tacky and lately it is not helping my grip at all. I put it on my forearms and hands and proceed to try to lift the stone and is actually slips out of my grip. It feels like the the tacky is slippery not sticky.

Could it be the outside temperature (I live Northern California where its between high 80s to mid 90s now)? Could the residue from previous sessions cause it to be slick?

How does the tacky feel? Tacky should be very sticky and and stays in one place. It shouldn’t run at all or be thin in any way. Putting tacky on should feel like rubber cement or tree sap or something. It shouldn’t be easy to spread along your hands and arms.

I don’t know what temperature it would take for the tacky to become viscous, but if that’s how your tacky feels, something’s not right.

Another thing to keep in mind is to dry off first. I find that sweat makes it more slick than sticky. Keep paper towel handy, and maybe a light dusting of chalk to absorb some moisture first. Temperature is a factor as well.

What about the residual tacky left on the stone from previous training sessions? Should I try to clean that off the best I can (WD-40, etc.) between sessions? I seems like whatever is in the tacky to make it sticky might “evaporate” off and be leaving an slick residue.

Do you guys clean your stones after training and how do you do it?

[quote]Crow wrote:
What about the residual tacky left on the stone from previous training sessions? Should I try to clean that off the best I can (WD-40, etc.) between sessions? I seems like whatever is in the tacky to make it sticky might “evaporate” off and be leaving an slick residue.

Do you guys clean your stones after training and how do you do it?[/quote]

I don’t own my own stones, but I have to imagine that cleaning them would be a quixotic undertaking

[quote]
I don’t own my own stones, but I have to imagine that cleaning them would be a quixotic undertaking[/quote]

quixotic?? come on now, give us a break

What the hell does quixotic mean?

[quote]Crow wrote:
What the hell does quixotic mean? [/quote]

I suppose ‘hopeless’ would be a good synonym.

[quote]Crow wrote:
What the hell does quixotic mean? [/quote]

“don quixote” was a novel written some 400 years ago and is regarded as the best book ever written. since it’s a major piece of history you should at least read the cliff’s notes sometime.

[quote]swivel wrote:

“don quixote” was a novel written some 400 years ago and is regarded as the best book ever written.[/quote]

Ahahahahahahaha…good one.

Edit: holy shit a poll conducted by the Guardian actually found this to be true. Then again, their top 100 list also included “Old Man and the Sea” and “Huckleberry Finn”, so whatever.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Ahahahahahahaha…good one.

Edit: holy shit a poll conducted by the Guardian actually found this to be true. Then again, their top 100 list also included “Old Man and the Sea” and “Huckleberry Finn”, so whatever.[/quote]

See, man… to me, that almost makes it sound like you’re trying to make the list sound better. :wink: Granted, I was ambivilent about Old Man and the Sea and Huck Finn, but I liked the spirit of them.

Did “To Kill a Mockingbird” make it on there?

Hey can you please define “hijacking a thread” for me?

Your outside temp has everything to do with it.It’s happened to me a few times also.Don’t know of the actual temp. that it becomes useless but living in sunny Cali sounds a little warm for the tack.

Before you use it keep it inside and out of the sun.Then take it out when needed.I’ve seen at contest that are outside people keep it in their coolers on ice.

Hope this helps and we’ve never cleaned our stones.

Try living where I am in Phoenix, AZ. It has been +100 degrees for the last month, and often up to 110. Needless to say tacky does nothing, even if you apply it cold.

Elite tacky is best for hot weather and should work in 80-90 degrees. Try keeping it refridgerated, make sure your arms are not sweaty when you apply it, and squeeze real hard.