Table Sugar Instead of Dextrose For Recovery?

I’ve studied up a bit on insulin spikes recently. Other products use dextrose to spike the insulin for nutrient transport. I can’t afford these products in europe, and I can’t find dextrose either. So I’ve been using table sugar. I can make a bottle of homemade recovery drink for less than 20 euro, in the store its 80.

Is there really a huge difference between the two (table sugar and dextrose), or am I just lowering the quality of the insulin spike a little?

Table sugar, sucrose, is a disaccharide made up of glucose + fructose. Fructose must be metabolized in the liver, which means it’s not replenishing the glycogen stores of your muscles after a workout.

While not optimal, at the end of the day you have to do what you can.

If something is out of your means, don’t sweat it. Dial in what you do have control over and keep pushing.

[quote]SBT wrote:
Table sugar, sucrose, is a disaccharide made up of glucose + fructose. Fructose must be metabolized in the liver, which means it’s not replenishing the glycogen stores of your muscles after a workout.

If something is out of your means, don’t sweat it. Dial in what you do have control over and keep pushing.[/quote]

wow great answer, just what I was looking for!! I’ll stop using table sugar, other question - maybe I’m not looking in the right stores for dextrose, where would you go?

[quote]danian1 wrote:
SBT wrote:

If something is out of your means, don’t sweat it. Dial in what you do have control over and keep pushing.

wow great answer, just what I was looking for!! I’ll stop using table sugar, other question - maybe I’m not looking in the right stores for dextrose, where would you go?[/quote]

I’d check out a beer/wine shop that sells home brewing supplies. They should have dextrose/maltodextrin pretty cheap.

This is what I did before I found Surge.

Good luck!