T Nation

Tabata Training

Hi guys

I have built a bit of muscle the last 5 months but put on lots of fat ,now i wanna cut a little bit of fat before i resume my muscle building but i truly hate cardio

I heard about tabata training, wot u guys think of it?, is ti really that good at burning fat while preserving muscle? ,if so how much would b “too much” tabata?, can i still keep on with “normal workouts” and do tabata additionally as if it was cardio?

i was thinking of doing 3 resistance workouts a week (as i ussually do) and adding 3 fullbody tabatas a week on top of it,does that sound good or am i being stupid?

pls advice

Tabatas are great when coupled with heavy lifting, especially when cutting. I would start at 2 a week and see how you feel. 3 full body tabata circuits and 3 full body lifting sessions sounds like a lot. I would do them on your off days. Make sure you’re recovering well enough and eating right. If you’re lifting heavy and getting enough protein, I wouldn’t worry about your muscle going anywhere.

thnx mate

i was going to say that there is nothing magical about the 20/10’s and how you could be creative with various running drills (eg 15/45 or hills) or something like the burpee 100 challenge, or even something like

(A1) BW squat x 90 seconds (max possible)
(A2) DB knee highs x 15s
rest and repeat

but then it really struck me that if you HATE cardio then you might not be able to (want to) stick with it??

i have not done complexes but they sound really metabolic and may be a fun summer project for someone who prefers the iron

thnx a lot mate ,im gonna check the complexes ,they look like fun!

Tabatas can be really intense, if you really try hard enough. Just make sure you start with only one or two a week. The first time I did tabata squats (just air squats), I was sore for several days afterwards. :slight_smile:

you can also try adding swings as they get you winded up as hell

I’ve done complexes and tabatas. Both work, but I’d be mindful of your recovery. If you’re cutting you’re going to be short of calories and nutrients so don’t kill yourself. What are your stats?

Hi guys

For the last two weeks i have been doin tabata like this: ,4 x week each time 2 or 3 different bodyparts per workout and it feels really good ,I havent yet started cutting calories but i knwo i should bcos my bodyfat is still 15%,I want to cut down to 4000 cals a day for a week and then start cutting down bit by bit until i get to about 3000 cals a day, I plan to contionue tabata 2 or 3 more weeks but then i will move to complexes for 3 or 4 weeks

thnx again

[quote]HulkSmash7 wrote:
Tabatas are great when coupled with heavy lifting, especially when cutting. I would start at 2 a week and see how you feel. 3 full body tabata circuits and 3 full body lifting sessions sounds like a lot. I would do them on your off days. Make sure you’re recovering well enough and eating right. If you’re lifting heavy and getting enough protein, I wouldn’t worry about your muscle going anywhere. [/quote]

I would do the Tabata’s on training days, after upped body work, 6 hours before or after lower or total body work then do long slow work on off days. This concentrates all the hard work on training days and allows off days to actually be off. This seems to help recovery. JMO.

Good recommendations though.

thnx for the advice