T Nation

Tabata, Telle style

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on Jerre Telle’s contrast interval training? What it involves is 10-15 seconds of all out effort with whatever means and then walking until heart rate returns to 110-115. 4-6 bouts. then a 10 minute cool down. If sure seems more easy than a true tabata. I also wonder if done on a lifecycle or a similar device,that escalating the tension and cranking the max effort out, but setting a lower limit RPM for the “recovery” phase is more effective than getting the heart rate down to the 110-115 as quickly as possible so that the high intensive effort happens quicker.

The following is another BRUTAL workout of the day off of crossfit.

Apply the "Tabata Interval" (20 secs of work followed by 10 secs of rest repeated 8 times) to:

Rowing Squatting Pull-ups Push-ups Sit-ups

For the Rowing record the number of meters you complete in each interval. For the other exercises record the number of reps you complete in each interval.

You get a minute break between each exercise.

The lowest numbers from each exercise are added for a total score.

This is an extremely challenging workout. It takes exactly 24 minutes to completion. Your final score is an excellent measure of your total fitness.

Sounds exactly like a good session of squats!

Both approaches work and I think that both should be used at some point to achieve optimal results. However; I think the Telle proto is a little lacking the amount of work prescribed…I normally do a 15 sprint and then walk back to the starting point when using extended rest periods between max effort bouts, but repeat at least 10 times and preferable up to 15 times. I doubt 4-6 will be enough to yield substantial fat loss.

Joel

If I can find an affordable and a quality heart monitor, I’ll give it a whirl and let you know. 4-6 might be enough if frequent enough and if all the other pieces are in place. Alone, prob not, bit to accelerate what is in place in addition to the other methods, we’ll see. Surge 1/2 during and 1/2 after, and 1 1/2 hour later naked chicken wings and Michelob ultra light too. (last part partly in jest)