Tabata on Low Carb Diet?

How would Tabatha intervals work while you’re on a low carb diet, or a diet of almost no carbs?

While only, or mostly living on a diet of protein and fat, would it make a difference in my workout in any way?

Would i be able to complete a Tabatha set of 4 minutes?

I don’t see why not. But there’s no way to know until you’ve done it. Give it a shot and report back. Good luck!

This is a recurring theme. My take is that balls to the wall HIIT and low-carb diets are not great stable mates. I have learned this from bitter experience. However, I read some research quoted by Jerry Brainum recently suggesting high levels of athletic performance can be achieved on low-carb diets if the body is given longer to fat adapt - i.e. up to one month keto, so I’m prepared to say I could be wrong.

However, when I busted my ass on HIIT drills during keto it sucked. Everything from lack of energy, fatigue, recovery issues, and cramps - which once saw me collapse in agony in a field (nice spectacle for the dog-walkers!).
By ingesting as little as 20-40g carbs pre-workout I can now perform these without all those issues, also meaning my strength sessions don’t suck either.
It’s your call but I say be cautious.

Well I’d say for Tabatas, I mean come on man they are only 4 minutes long, how many extra carbs do you think you need? Just get through it and call it a day. But if we were talking something like HIIT as in 15+ sprint sessions, some carbs would be good, especially some SWF fuel beforehand.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Well I’d say for Tabatas, I mean come on man they are only 4 minutes long, how many extra carbs do you think you need? Just get through it and call it a day. But if we were talking something like HIIT as in 15+ sprint sessions, some carbs would be good, especially some SWF fuel beforehand.[/quote]

You’re probably right, but i think it’s individual here. Some people might react very differently and get fatigued really early, while others might not feel it at all.
Maybe it depends on how well the body uses your own body fat instead of carbs.

The reason i asked this question in the first place is that i’ve been feeling very tired and low on energy lately.
But no other way to find out than to try it. I’ll probably put up the results on monday, or tuesday.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
This is a recurring theme. My take is that balls to the wall HIIT and low-carb diets are not great stable mates. I have learned this from bitter experience. However, I read some research quoted by Jerry Brainum recently suggesting high levels of athletic performance can be achieved on low-carb diets if the body is given longer to fat adapt - i.e. up to one month keto, so I’m prepared to say I could be wrong.

However, when I busted my ass on HIIT drills during keto it sucked. Everything from lack of energy, fatigue, recovery issues, and cramps - which once saw me collapse in agony in a field (nice spectacle for the dog-walkers!).
By ingesting as little as 20-40g carbs pre-workout I can now perform these without all those issues, also meaning my strength sessions don’t suck either.
It’s your call but I say be cautious.[/quote]

If this don’t work it’s back to buying carb powder again.

Ehh…Brawn’s right. I currently do less than 100g carbs a day, and it’s fine. I went as low as almost 50g a day. Was good for leaning up quickly, but for shit like sprints and hardcore conditioning like complexes? My body shat bricks and went on strike.

Even though i’d be on a low carb diet, i’m still going eat a couple of bananas before todays workout.

I just want to add: Todays workout went real smooth and i squeezed PR’s on all lifts.
They’re not as good as my “old” PR’s are(from before MMA/BJJ), but they’re a new start for me.

Thanks to the carbs. I think i got about 50g of carbs into my body 30-60min before workout. Felt like 90min, but i doubt it.