Tabata on a Rower?

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
WTF are “Toyota” Front Squats?[/quote]

He never said Toyota Front squats. He said Tabata. Google or look on here what tabata is. It’s a type of training and can be applied to any exercise. You could say tabata bench, tabata deadlifts, tabata anything.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
LiquidMercury wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

You are absolutely right, which is why I used the word ‘technically’ :wink:

Rowers (I used to be coxwain) have adopted the word, though I don’t know why. Probably just because ‘erg’ is quicker and easier to saw than ‘rowing machine’ or ‘rowing ergometer’.

Bushy

Where’d ya cox at? I’m currently back on training for trials next year (missed out on speed orders this year due to injury).

I used to cox for my school. We did most of the big British events (Henley, Nat. Champs, etc) and a couple of ‘international’ events (just competing in other countries, not actually representing England).

Yes, back then, I was the second smallest person in my year at school. 112lbs and 5’8, lol.

Bushy[/quote]

Ah I see, well guess I probably wouldn’t have heard of your school then as I’m over in the US and have really only heard of the big university schools over there. I know how ya feel bein the smallest in your year. I started rowing as a cox standing at 5’2" 90 lbs then one season later I grew 6 inches and 45 lbs so decided to switch to rowing. That being said I graduated high school at a whopping 140 lbs or so at 5’10". I think at youth nationals my senior year our entire ltwt boat was 15 lbs under the limit.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
Would tebata on a indoor rower be as benficial as tebata front squats?

An who do I go about doing it?

thanks[/quote]

The protocol was studied by Dr. Tabata on cyclists using stationary bikes, so yeah of course it would work with a rower.

It is funny to see the re-invention of “tabata ”.

===========
Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity
intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

Tabata I, Nishimura K, Kouzaki M, Hirai Y, Ogita F, Miyachi M, Yamamoto K.

Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of
Fitness and Sports, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy
release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.

PMID: 8897392 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I do tabata once per week on the concpet II and I have come to fear it, loath it and hate it all at the same time…the most dreadful 4 minutes of my week. And Level 10 only makes it that much more painful…enjoy

Noose

I’ve done Tabata on the Erg and it IS a bitch. Trouble is that its a ‘pull’.

Try Tabatas using burpees one day , alternated with the Erg (rower) on your next Tabata day and it’ll keep the concept fresh.

Good luck!

Headhunter offers very good advice.