T Nation

Tabata on a Rower?

Would tebata on a indoor rower be as benficial as tebata front squats?

An who do I go about doing it?

thanks

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I might be wrong… But isn’t the tabata method supposed to use total body movements? I remember in the article the two suggested exercises were squats and some sort of o-lift.

I have seen it using a rower on a couple websites. Just looking for more adivce.

[quote]ViciousDelicious wrote:
I might be wrong… But isn’t the tabata method supposed to use total body movements? I remember in the article the two suggested exercises were squats and some sort of o-lift.[/quote]

A rower is a full body movement…

Ive done them on a rower, they are BRUTAL.

Only one way to find out :slight_smile:

[quote]dankid wrote:
ViciousDelicious wrote:
I might be wrong… But isn’t the tabata method supposed to use total body movements? I remember in the article the two suggested exercises were squats and some sort of o-lift.

A rower is a full body movement…

Ive done them on a rower, they are BRUTAL.[/quote]

I was always under the impression that a seated row (I’m assuming that’s a rower?) would work the back, lats, and biceps?

And I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything. Hell, tabata could be hard with tricep kick backs…

Its a rowing machine… The kind with the big fan and the cable with the handle on it. The seat slides…

Its definately a full body movement.

Sure you can. Tabata can be used with any big, compound exercise. Rowing definitely constitutes a big, compound exercise.

wow was that painfull…

[quote]dankid wrote:
Its a rowing machine… The kind with the big fan and the cable with the handle on it. The seat slides…

Its definately a full body movement. [/quote]

Oh oh oh wow okay. Sorry I thought you meant the weight movement. Now I feel like a complete dumb ass.

I do two 15-20 mins of HIIT a week. usually rowing sometimes running. Would it be too much to add in once more day of tabata rowing or heavy bag work?

Think I will give it a try.

Tabata intervals on the Concept are brutal, but awesome.

Another interval variation on the erg is the “30/30”. 30 seconds all out, 30 seconds very easy or rest. Repeat for 10 total ‘sets’.

I did 60/60 like that on my rower already. Very hard.

For the record it’s called an ergometer…

And yes doing intervals on one is a great and miserable workout. Try doing Dirty Dozens (workouts that actual rowers do when being punished by coaches)

Dirty Dozen = 12x500 meter sprints 90 second rest all out. Normally coaches will put a ceiling on it and say you can’t go above a certain split. The coaches that really are pissed will make the ceiling really low and make you keep going until you throw up (usually after 7 or 8 if you really know how to push yourself).

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
LiquidMercury wrote:
For the record it’s called an ergometer…

Technically, any machine used to measure work output (including treadmill, bike, etc) is an ergometer.

“An apparatus - such as a treadmill, stationary bicycle, or steps - used to measure the physiologic effects of exercise”

Sorry to be picky :wink:

Bushy[/quote]

In the sport of rowing, it’s referred to specifically as an erg or ergometer. You don’t hear cyclists or runners or climbers referring to any of those as an ergometer.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

You are absolutely right, which is why I used the word ‘technically’ :wink:

Rowers (I used to be coxwain) have adopted the word, though I don’t know why. Probably just because ‘erg’ is quicker and easier to saw than ‘rowing machine’ or ‘rowing ergometer’.

Bushy
[/quote]

Where’d ya cox at? I’m currently back on training for trials next year (missed out on speed orders this year due to injury).

WTF are “Toyota” Front Squats?