T-Vixen Squatting Problem

I would also recommend not using the wraps. As a rule, squatting is not bad on the knees. Squatting improperly is bad on the knees.

Girl, get over here!

How 'bout that? All these people talking about me “behind my back” and I’m flattered and grateful for the suggestions.

RIT Jared: a couple months ago when searching online for info. on knee wraps, I read that squatting was best done in flat-soled shoes, so yes, I’ve been using my tennis shoes since then which give good stability and lateral support, unlike the running shoes I was using before. I’ve really felt a difference with them, so you’re right on with that suggestion. Thanks!

And since I mentioned knee wraps–I have a feeling they may be helping me more psychologically than physically from what most of you are saying. I understand that squats, when properly done, are not damaging to the knees, but my knees are already a mess from a lifetime of impact sports like running and tennis. If you were to place the palm of your hand over my knee cap while I flex and extend my leg, you’d feel/hear all kinds of crunching and squeaking. I’m deathly afraid (irrational as this may be) of blowing one (or two) out and never being able to play tennis or ski again. As my quads have become stronger, I hardly ever feel any pain in my knees, but I’ve been told by the athletic trainer at the school where I work/coach that I have chondromalacia. I’m willing to set aside the wraps again (I did squat successfully for over a year before acquiring them), but I must admit that I immediately jumped from squatting 95-105 to 115-120 after wrapping myself up for the first time. Adding ten pounds like that felt very affirming, but I am definitely not willing to “cheat” or sacrifice good form or in favor of boasting a few extra pounds. Sounds like I need to concern myself more with getting back to basics and working the posterior chain as Patricia astutely suggests.

Again, thanks to all for the info and advice; I have a tennis tournament this weekend, and will be changing my lifting routine come Monday.