Dchris's Grappling with Age

So glad you asked! I don’t think it would be a tough transition, you’d really just have to be consistent, slow and steady with it as you transition out to ensure the best results without going overboard and gaining excess fat. I’ll use an example of one of my best friends and clients, @HeraWynn1 has been on keto for months to lose some very stubborn fat and he’s been doing great, and about 3-4 weeks ago we started transitioning him out of it. We’ve been able to add carbs while cutting cals, and he’s been losing more weight still and doing really well with it. Also raising protein. His Transformation log has some more details too. T-ransformation 2017: HeraWynn1's Blog - #14 by HeraWynn1

A slow and steady approach with low GI carbs, 20-25g a week is what we’ve been doing. We started by adding an apple pre workout for the first 7-8 days. After he lost another pound or two and we knew his body adjusted, we subbed out some cals for breakfast and instead of 3 eggs and bacon, we did 2 eggs with 1 slice of ezekiel bread on his training days, off days were still full keto. We recently added EZ bread on his off days so now getting carbs on all days. We’re about to add more and are going to do 1/2 cup rolled oats pre workout and add 1 more piece EZ bread in the mornings. Eventually we’ll toss in higher GI before his workouts like a Finibar, and adding carbs at other meals aside from breakfast and pre-workout.

The cool thing is we’re able to cut cals while adding carbs and protein back in. For example, instead of a meal of 1oz pepperoni and 2oz grass fed cheese, we switched to 6oz tuna or chicken breast and veggies with 1oz cheese. Filling, tasty and less cals as we’re still trying to cut.

So, going by your current macros, something like this might be good.

Week 1 (or until you lose more scale weight, maybe 7-10 days) - Training days - 170p, 40c, ~170f = ~2,350 cals. Non training days still full keto.
Week 2 - Training days - 190p, 65c, ~140f = ~2300 cals. Non training days switch to the previous week’s training days.

So on and so forth, 20-25g carbs added per week, also raising protein until you get to 1g per pound. I’d recommend staying away from the higher GI carbs except for before pre workout only for a while.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it to ensure your body adapts and you can keep cutting. If you wanted to maintain obviously you’d keep overall cals the same and adjust macros.

Hope this helps man, you can always shoot me an email anytime brother! It’s my username at verizon dot net.

3 Likes

Super helpful, thanks! I’m gonna read through it and try to put a plan together.

Since I’ll be coming out this weekend, should I spend 4 days eating Keto to deplete, prior to slowly incorporating carbs again?

1 Like

I think this would be a great idea if you can make it happen. To really make the most of it and ensure the best/most optimal results, it would be helpful to really track macros rigidly as you transition out. If you’ve been on keto for a while the body is very sensitive to carbs and will pack on excess fat faster than normal; I found this out the hard way after I stopped doing keto last year. We’re also seeing with @HeraWynn1 how a meticulously implemented transition plan can keep the progress train moving along without any hiccups.

1 Like

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! said as loudy as possible, just in case you are hung over…:joy:
( well, I think it was this weekend anyway :smirk:)

4 Likes

Happy birthday man! I had a drink for ya this weekend.

2 Likes

Happy birthday mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ChickenLittle @littlesleeper @MarkKO Thanks! Actually had a really good birthday. Spent Saturday in PDX eating at all the best thai places.

Breakfast

Post Lunch Dessert

Dinner

Breakfast was a full keto compliant. haha The ice cream is by the far the greatest ice cream in the world. You can only get it in Portland and LA. I can’t even describe how good it is. Dinner was by far, one of the best I’ve had. It was super packed, and we got sat in the corner of the bar, which was perfect. Felt like I was in Thailand. The picture is of one of the three entrees I had. :wink: It was a whole tilapia.

@robstein - Thanks for the great info! I’m going to proceed with keto through Thursday. Then start with: [quote=“robstein, post:201, topic:224841”]
170p, 40c, ~170f
[/quote]

Until I shed some more fat.

So, basically, keto on non training days. On training days, I’ll have an apple or orange around training. Probably around mid-march, if weight is coming off again, I’ll start adding toast or half cup of rice prior to workout.

Back to Birthday – I was given a good amount of money for my home gym. I’d really like to get an axle bar and a 55lb and 88lb KB. I priced it at Rogue, then was frustratingly disappointed by $175 in shipping. :frowning: I’m sadly going to have to find a local shop that sells equipment.

@The_Myth – I’m not quite sure what to do RE: TRT and testing hormones. I have great insurance, but don’t have a GP. I’m wondering if I should go the private labs route and get a blood test myself, or try and go the GP route, as I should probably get one regardless. I don’t think I’m suffering a lot of the symptoms of Hypogonadism, but there are some symptoms that have made me wonder. I’d like to know for baseline purposes at least, that way when I’m 40 I have a comparison. Thoughts?

Morning weight: 222 (I’m not going to weigh myself for a week)

Morning workout:
Frankenstein holds - 2x60secs w/135lbs - basically holding the weight on my shoulders with arms out.

Strict Press 2/15sec hold at lockout - 2x8x105lbs

Hang Cleans - 3x3x135lbs

SGHP - 2x10x135lbs

Band Pull Aparts - lots

None of that was challenging, really just trying to get blood flowing and use up glycogen stores to make entering keto easier.

6 Likes

God damn, you just made me even more hungry.

2 Likes

I had to make up for having less that 500 grams of carbs this year.

1 Like

I’d get a GP to do a blood test just for a baseline and to establish care. I know you’re not close, but I have a close family friend that is an Internist/Endocrinologist in NW Portland. He primarily treats diabetics, went to Med School with my brother, and has been my dad’s Endo for twenty years.

The main thing, in my opinion, is to get the baseline and to know what’s going on. I don’t understand it all that well, but there are a lot of moving parts that can cause symptoms that may be treatable. Sometimes something as simple as adding iodized salt into your diet (thyroid). TRT is more like a final, and often permanent, solution.

Private labs are pretty convenient. For about $100.00 you can get a female hormone panel (it checks for Estrogen, the male panel doesn’t). They send you the package with an ice pack type deal - freeze the ice pack, get blood drawn for $25 at a lab like Quest, ship it back, and get your results via email five days later. I used Life Extension.

That’s my .02.

3 Likes

HAPPY LATE BDAY!!! Food looking gooood.

If I were to do Keto I would use this approach, with like a certain allotment of carbs preworkout.

1 Like

Juts an hour drive. I’m there every other week for various reasons. I always hear about Dr. Arakaki on the radio at Universal Men’s Clinic.

Super stoked, I just ordered two KBs, a 60lb and 80lb. As well as an axle bar. Now I have no excuses for not losing weight.

Edit: just thinking about my mailman trying to deliver the 80lb KB, it should be hilarious to watch. :joy:

6 Likes

Where did you end up ordering it from since Rogue shipping was going to soak you?

Imagine being a mailman whose entire job revolves around sending parcels of heavy gym equipment on a daily. Bet he’ll be hella yoked.

I got Cap KBs from Amazon. It was ~$1.20 per lb, which was similar to Rogue… but Rogue had ridiculous shipping. I couldn’t justify it as much as I wanted them.

I went back and forth between the Rogue Axle and OneFitWonder on Amazon for the Axle. They would be the same price after Rogue’s shipping. I did get the OneFitWonder though (I’ll probably regret it). OFW was a 44lb bar vs. Rogue’s at 25lbs. Figured it might be a bit more solid and I’d get it a few days sooner. haha

Lol! I’m pretty sure my mailman deals meth on the side. He just chooses not to deliver some days. I thought I just wasn’t getting mail everyday, but several of my neighbors stated they didn’t get mail either. Highly unlikely all of us didn’t. TBF his route takes him a long time and I think once 9PM roles around he calls it quits and I’m on the last street.

1 Like

Morning Workout

Warm Up - 2x10/leg lunges

Back Squat - 20x135lbs and 30x135lbs

Before Ben busts me for depth, I hit just above parallel and didn’t lock out. I was just trying to get a decent pump and sweat going before work.

1 Like

I really can’t see one axle being significantly better than another, as it is just a 2" stiff bar. I guess the coating on it could be better/worse? Admittedly, I have never used an actual axle before, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

I just made my own out of 1.9" pipe with some little collars tightened down on it. Never once have I thought having a better axle would provide more benefit though. Mine is about 25lbs, I used the thickest walled pipe that the local steel recycling centre made. Works great, when I decide to add in into my workouts here and there.

2 Likes

I was planning on making my own, but figured for $70 more I could just buy it and be done.

#lazy

1 Like

2/28

Front Squat
2x3x135
1x3x185
1x3x225 - Rep PR

Dinner break

Front Squat
1x5x135
1x5x185
2x1x225

Back Squat
2x12x225

Trap Bar DL
2x5x225 w/10 Sec hold after each rep.

Felt really good. I’m going to keep pushing the front Squat with higher reps at 185 and 205. Hopefully, I can hit 275 by June 1. Pretty happy considering I’m on a calorie deficit and losing weight.

3 Likes