T-ransformation 2017: Lord Humongous Pain Train log

I feel like I’m kind of fucking up the program. The plan was to keep the intensity down and volume high while running the leader, then going balls deep with PR sets and jokers on the anchor. The problem is im having a hard time following the 5s progression cuz the weights I’m using are so light it doesn’t feel like I’m moving enough weight unless I start moving way more weight than I’m “supposed” to be for the program. I’m not feeling run down or anything, and I’m recovering well, I just can’t keep in the mind set of “start too light” which is an integral part of 5/3/1. I guess I’m just gonna have to buckle down and discipline myself to use the proper percentages. I don’t really know where I’m going with this. I guess I’m just wondering if anyone have any tips for getting through the monotony of the leader so I can really push myself and get the most out of my anchor?

2 Likes

Why not do horrible things to yourself with assistance? Like pushing for things like 100 continuous back raises, doing high total reps on rows, that kind of thing.

4 Likes

I’m with Markko on that one.Find stuff you suck at (leg curls,back raises,rows ect) and do a ton of reps on them,since recovery is not an issue

1 Like

Hm, that’s actually a really good idea. Kinda embarrassed I hadn’t really been putting much thought into the assistance. I guess Monday I’ll do band pull aparts til I die or my arms fall off lol

2 Likes

Weighed in at 248 this morning. Down 4 lbs in two weeks. Doing short, hard conditioning today:

2 cones 50 yds apart, 2 100lb sand bags at one, a sled roped to a weight belt at the other

Farmers carry bags to sled, drag sled to other cone, bear hug carry a bag back to other cone, run back and overhead carry other bag to cone. That’s 1 set

Rest and repeat 2 times. Will add sets/weight over time

3 Likes

1/16/17

Cleans: 145x5x5 (superset w/ CGBP 135x3x10)

Squats: 295x5x3 (t-bar row, 2 plates, 10,9,8,7,6,15(amrap))

Press: FSL 95x3x10 (curls 100x2x10, 100x1x15(amrap))

2 Likes

Not very flattering lighting but down to 245. Woot! Been severely sick since yesterday and haven’t eaten since yesterday morning so muscles lookin pretty flat

3 Likes

1/24/17

Felt so good to finally get back in the gym after takin a few days off for sickness.

Chest/bis

A1) Low-to-high cable flyes 40x3x10-15
A2) flat DB flyes 40x3x8-10

B) BB bench press:
135x12
185x8
185x8
225x4(drop set) 135x8 (no lockout)

C1) high-to-low cable flyes 50x3x12
C2) smith machine incline press 135x3x10

D) incline DB curls 30x3x12,8,6

E) preacher curls 75x2x10

F) lucky sevens curls(empty 45 lb bar, 7 full reps, 7 top half, 7 bottom half) x3

Walked out lookin like a different person. Shirt splitting pumps. Took some tips from the bodybuilding 2.0 thread and started chest workout with some iso stuff to get a good pump going, definitely made bench a lot harder, but I felt it in my pecs a lot more than usual

Well, life’s thrown me another curve ball and has once again changed my goals. (Which means that I’m gonna have to change my damn training…again.) I was recently invited to try out for my department’s tactical rescue squad. It’s a very high speed, one week selection process, five days of which are spent running non-stop special operations style PT and rescue missions (deep water rescue, mountainous terrain, collapsed buildings, etc.) which is in September.

I want to be in peak physical condition by then, which means I need to focus on more than just lifting. I’ll be shifting my training to a more tactical athlete style but will still have 2 days/week 531 lifting at the core.

Fri: 531
Bench: 531, jokers when I set a PR, FSL 3x 8-10
(Superset with t-bar rows)

Deadlift: 5s pro
(Superset with abs)

5 sets of bis/ tris superset

Wednesday: HIIT training
Any selection of barbell complexes, farmers carries, sled push/pulls, sprints, tire flips, stair climber, tower machine

Mon: 531
Press: same as bench set up
(Superset with pull ups)

Squats: 5s pro
(Superset with abs)

Dips superset with fat man pull ups

Sun: distance running, building from 1 mile to 5-6 and adding in stops to do PT calisthenics

2 Likes

Fri: 2/3/17, 5s week:
Bench:
155x5
185x5
205x10(capped)

Jokers:
225x5
235x4

FSL:
155x3x10
T-bar rows 2 platesx3x15,13,12

Deadlifts:
135x5
185x5
235x5
275x5
315x5
(Superset with 5x10 ab wheel)

Giant set:
French press 70x2x15
Incline DB curls 30’s x2x12
Rope pressdowns 100x2x12
Rope curls. 90x2x12

1 Like

Mon: 2/6/17 5s week

Squat:
135x8
185x5
205x5
245x5
275x5

Superset with 3x10 ab wheel, 2x10 hanging leg raises

Press:
45x15
95x5
105x5
120x10
Jokers:
135x5
140x3
FSL:
95x3x10

(Superset with chin ups 6x3, neutral lat pull down 100x2x10)

By this point I was trashed for fat mans and dips

Fat man pull ups 2x8
superset with dips 1x5, push ups 1x20

Preacher curls 75x1x15, 75x1x12
French press 75x2x15

Lucky sevens X1 (empty 45 lb bar, 7 full curls, 7 tip half curls, 7 bottom half curls)
Straight bar cable push downs 80x1x20

I haven’t fallen off the wagon or backed out or anything, I’ve just decided to quit logging and giving progress reports, I just wanna keep it under wraps and give a little reveal on June 1 (hint* things are coming together

5 Likes

Hey @Frank_C I was thinking about putting up a “JMaier how do you train?” Thread and I was wondering if you’d be willing to shed a little light on your views on training. We got a lot of resident Bodybuilders, Strongmen, and powerlifters, but I think it could help a lot of people if the resident “tactical athlete” had his own thread.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I need my own thread but I’m happy to share my workouts and advice. Don’t let the term “tactical” fool ya. I still believe athlete is the correct term and I train to be an athlete.

Suppose I could start a training log…?

Yeah man, I fell ya. I didn’t wanna put you on the spot or anything, I’ve just read a lot of your posts and feel like a log would be a real asset to any of the military, LEO, FD guys here. Anyone that can clean 375 is worth listening to lol

Do this. I’ve found a lot of your training anecdotes and your programming of 5/3/1 very interesting/helpful. I would be a frequent visitor!

1 Like

^^ x2

Done. It’s official… my ADD style of training will be out there for everyone to see!

Hey, creepin around, looks like good stuff in here, noticed it’s been a minute, doin the check in thing, see how the weight loss is comin.

@Despade Honestly? I haven’t gotten very far on my physique. I keep getting burnt out on diet and start binging junk food. It’s been a pretty consistent problem for forever and something I decided a few days ago that I was tired of it. Imma do a hard sprint to the finish the last six weeks of the t-ransformation and go keto so I can at least say I lost some weight.

Performance wise things have been slightly better. My bench and squat have at least maintained their Strength and my military press and dead have gone up a little. I’ve gained a couple pounds of muscle(as well as some pudge) and my conditioning/ work capacity has been improving nicely. I’ve also learned a lot about what does and doesn’t work for me the last five months.