T-ransformation 2017: Flipcollar’s log

Congratulations man! Way to kill it!

Sounds like that was a helluva show dude! Great work on taking first in a contest.

1 Like

Pro cards vary by federation. I’m not sure if USS has a pro division yet.

Awesome work man! Hardwork definetely does pay off!

Fuck yeah flip. Sounds like a fun time, and definitely bad ass you took that win. Congrats brother.

I was curious though, how do you train to be more consistent on the keg toss? I would assume just a lighter keg and try to hit the mark more often, so it would jut take more keg tosses essentially? Also, how in the fuck is the state record only 595?

couple things…

1. just practice. And I would say practicing with the keg weight that shows up in comp, not a lighter one. Honestly it’s just like grooving a golf swing, or a baseball pitch, bowling, or anything else where you want to do the exact same thing every time. Just do it over and over and over again. and find a way to make the movement more repeatable by limiting the ‘moving parts’. So for instance on the keg toss. I found that keeping my arms fully extended through the entire movement made me more consistent than when i had a bend in them, because the bend tended to vary.

2. So that’s the state record for the USS organization, and it’s for the 198 class. It’s a decent mark. Not all contests are eligible for records. Many shows will have things like axle deadlifts, frame deadlift, deadlift for max reps, all sorts of variations that are record-qualifying. So you have to find a show with a basic deadlift for max. Plus a lot of times, like in this show, the jumps between weights are huge. So in this case, to beat 595, you couldn’t just jump to 605. You’d have to go all the way up to 625.

nice going, Chuck!

Awesome showing!

Awesome work man! Don’t know how I’ve missed that you’re in TX but nice to see a fellow Texan on the forums. I will be following along. A year or so from now I may venture into the strongman world myself. Need the numbers first, plus my desire to compete in a PL meet at the end of this year.

you can definitely do a PL meet and a strongman show in the same year, lol. Those are not conflicting goals . I would suggest trying to do a strongman show as well this year. The novice division is always a great place to start. Look for a show on the NAS or USS website in your area that has events you can handle, and just sign up! It’s an awesome training motivator. I can essentially guarantee you that you will make more progress in getting stronger if you sign up for, and train for, a competition, than if you ‘wait til you’re stronger to do it.’ Just a thought.

Alright, I like that. My gym definitely has the equipment so I will try to incorporate it into my training sessions

start with one dedicated strongman day per week. If your gym has a group that trains together for strongman stuff, get in with them. That’s what my gym has. Practice 2 or 3 events each session. I generally do either log or axle press, a carry of some sort, and then maybe stones. something along those lines. and plan not to workout the next day, lol

1 Like

I’ve always wondered what that was for the longest before actually looking it up. Have you tried liquid CoQ10? It’s not even a preworkout, it’s more an antioxidant, and an energy source your body already makes. But you could try it for like a daily long lasting type of energy. Other than that I have no idea what else I could suggest, since you’re already strong as heck lol

hahahaha. yea i mean tbh , it’s not like i’m really looking for anything. I don’t NEED a pwo. i’ve just played around with them and come to the conclusion they aren’t for me. But thanks! I’ll check out CoQ10

2 Likes

Ha! I understand that. No problem. You live it Texas right? Just stop by any of the Costco warehouses and get it. I think it’s 9.99$ for a 1L bottle. Something close to that.

First of many, right?

man, that’s the idea. Looking for my next comp now.

2 Likes

Just a quick update on things.

I’ve picked my next comp. The events are much less favorable for my strengths, which was what I was looking for. I need to be working on my weaknesses as much as possible.

1. Frame deadlift max
  2. Truck pull (harness/rope style)
  3. Frame carry/ duck walk medley. RIP
  4. Log press for reps
  5. Circus DB for reps

I need to be hammering the frame carry and the circus db the most. I’m up to 2 reps on the circus db, and probably have 3 in me right now. Still getting the form down. As of last Friday, I was at zero reps, so obviously still on that learning curve.

5 Likes

'Sup Flip?

So it’s looking like Thailand in January is happening. Been chatting to Ferg (greatest guy ever - you guys’ll love him and I’m sure he’ll have lots of stories about how much of an idiot I am that you’d enjoy) and we’re yet to finalise details but it’s looking like spending a few nights in Bangkok then travel around a bit to various beaches and other such hip happenin’ places. Probably be there 2 weeks-ish including travelling time (so 10 banter days I’d expect). Ferg and I are likely going to do the Air BnB thing but that’s not to say you guys can’t be a little more (or less) civilised.

Consider yourself and your better half cordially invited. You could come hang with us in the city then go off and do your own thing when we hit the road, or you’re welcome to come on Bob and Ferg’s incredible journey (think jungle exploration and drunk on beaches). However you want to play it is cool.

We’ve not 100% decided on the dates yet but we will soon so I’ll let you guys know. It’ll need to be soon for that so I can make sure work can give me the time off and I can save my pennies. I’ll hit you up by email when we know the exact dates, destination, etc., because who knows what sick perverts lurk your log.

@dt79 you’re welcome to get in on this action too, naturally, if you think you can hang with the big dogs ruff ruff ruff.

that’s awesome man, I’ll talk to Erica about it this week and see what she thinks.