60kgs x3
80kgs x3
97.5kgs x3
112.5kgs x4, felt pretty fucking hard
127.5kgs x2, wtf man
127.5kgs x2, wrapped my knees

I was supposed to get 127.5kgs x3x4 followed by x5, done raw

90kgs x2

this might be one of the most soul crushing workouts I’ve ever had. That being said, I did learn something. I can’t take deloads in the traditional sense. This is the 3rd time a deload has screwed me up. Perhaps I’ll just slash volume next time.

1 Like

##12/2/2017

##FOOD
3:00PM - dumplings
9:00PM - burger king chicken with fries and a coke

2400-ish calories

##13/2/2017
woke up at 74.7kgs

##FOOD
2:00AM - poptarts
1:30PM - rice with chicken/beef/potato/tofu
4:00PM - coffee
7:00PM - chicken and broccoli followed by one stick of ice cream

2000-ish calories

Tell me more! Is this some sort of Singaporean magic?

2 Likes

I think it might be a local thing. It’s like 90 calories a stick.

2 Likes

##Journal Entry

I have to be honest, I’ve been off the rails. According to my training log, I started going off around the 22nd of January. This is simply unacceptable. No excuses. This is unacceptable. My diet has been shit. I’ve been lazy. “Studying for exams” isn’t an excuse. Don’t think I’ve taken any progress pics for a while too cause well, I got worse. I should be ashamed. I should feel bad. I decided to do this yet here I am not putting in any effort.

This is my wake up call. You’re fucking up. Stop.

##Get your shit together Ben.

4 Likes

Well, can’t sleep so I figured I’d do some pull ups. Haven’t done them in ages. Did 5 that felt kinda hard. Did one more set and I’m like fuck it, let’s just try for 10. Kinda surprised that I got it to be honest. I was thinking I would get like 7 at best.

feeling that arm pump right now, wow

1 Like

##PHOTOS

taken 30 mins after the pull ups, can’t sleep

that’s a nice sarong you’re wearing

1 Like

oh fuck, I just remembered I was going to talk to you about my attitudes towards dating, hold on…

1 Like

That’s my bath towel mate. Glad you like it though :wink:.

And yup, still waiting on the afterthoughts of dating in yogi bear’s youth.

1 Like

##14/2/2017
woke up at 74.6kgs

##FOOD
12:20AM - coffee
9:00AM - coffee
12:00PM - subway steak and cheese wrap
1:25PM - 3 scoops of protein
5:15PM - Valentine’s Day dinner… I’ll just include the menu.

9:15PM - 4 cheese sausages, 3 meatballs and some popcorn with coke zero, so much for getting my diet together but eh, it was v day

##Training
entered the gym at 9:50AM

warmed up with a spare bar a bunch
Squats
15kgs x3x5
got the rack at 10AM
60kgs x3
97.5kgs x3
112.5kgs x4
127.5kgs x4
put on belt
127.5kgs x2x4
127.5kgs x4, should’ve gotten 5 but I ain’t too upset considering this is WAYYYY better than last Saturday

practice with knee wraps, singles
140kgs x1
145kgs x0

PIN GOOD MORNING SQWAT OF DEATH??
100kgs lol

finished squats and kept all the weights at 11:15AM

Barbell Rows
40kgs x20
60kgs x10
80kgs x14+8, just wanted to move the weight as fast as possible

I’m so retardedly sore from the squats that I’m 95% sure its some sorta muscle fatigue or something. Gotta hold the railings while taking the stairs. Gotta walk smaller steps cause big steps feel like quad extensions…

3 Likes

That will be even beastier mode…

But will you be able to deadlift it?

hahaha obviously yes.

2 Likes

You seem to be almost hyperventilating between reps on your squats, do you not feel really out of breath doing that?
Those rows are looking good. What are you doing at the minute programming wise, it seems to be a lot of rowing and squats.

I have this discussion every morning with myself…:smirk:

2 Likes

Not out of breath during the squats but after them, yup. That being said though, this might be one of the few times I’m actually out of breath doing squats. Then again, this might be the most sore I’ve ever been from squats too.

I was trying to think of the reason as to why I was breathing like that but… I just can’t explain it. I know it has something to do with the concept of 20 rep squats and breathing squats though.

Well, I actually just started the intensification phase of my Smolov program… Turns out I’ve never included it here so I’ll post it later on. As for the rows, nothing planned really, just whenever I feel like I can do them. The plan is to do sets of 3 and linearly progress by 5kgs whenever I hit 5 sets. I might go a lil heavier if the first 3 sets feel good. So basically… 5x3 heavy rows, volume rows. Trying to hit 20 rep sets on them volume rows and… You guessed it, linearly increase them too. 100kgs x20 barbell rows. Now that’d be cool.

I don’t know bout you but I’ve that and the whole “What are you doing with your life?” discussion on a daily too.

3 Likes

1 Like

@hugh_gilly, let’s move the conversation here, wouldn’t want you clogging up Jim’s section.
Eh training could be better. Then again, I always say that even when my training is going great.

2 Likes

I was reading up on Smolov for squats and was quite interested as my squat sucks. My deadlift is at 160 and squat is at 114. Would you recommend it?

Not at all!

I’m extremely guilty of the whole not doing whats good for me. If I were to have done the sensible thing, which would be to follow a program, say 5/3/1 and programmed in strongman/weightlifting at a reasonable pace, I probably wouldn’t be as broken as I am now.

Simply put, I was greedy and I’m paying the price for it. Funny thing is, I’m STILL greedy. The only reason why I’m running smolov is cause… I’ve very little interest in the deadlift and I somewhat loathe it to be honest and I believe that having a high squat will help a ton if/when I get back to weightlifting.

As for YOU. Don’t stop what you’re doing! I actually do follow your training log and you seem to be hitting some sort of volume PR every other week or something. That’s great news. **Imagine hitting a PR of some sort every other week for the next 3 years or so. That’s 78 different PRs. You’re gonna be one hell of a monster by then.

If you’re wondering bout the huge difference in your squat/deadlift, I wouldn’t sweat it. Maybe you’re lacking in the technique department in the squat or maybe you just have shitty leverages, it doesn’t matter. So long as they’re both going up, keep at it. Oh and posting videos once in a while doesn’t hurt.

2 Likes