T-overdose?

John: Chris is referring to the character John Galt from Atlas Shrugged. The catch phrase of the book is “Who is John Galt?” Sounds like where Galt, the poster, got his handle.

Galt,there is a saying that goes something like-‘on your way to the top,don’t forget to stop every now and then to enjoy the view’.
I think Chris is giving great advice,just balance your drive with a bit more r’n’r and you will benefit greatly.My Dad was one of these folks that felt ashamed if he stopped working for even a second.He died at 55.Part of being productive is setting aside time to let the body and mind rest and recoup.

I identify with where you are coming from though.Whenever I get my mind set on something I throw myself into it full bore.Years back I used to get the ‘gee,you need to loosen up’ bullshit all the time.I say bullshit,because I suspected these people were saying this not through concern for my welfare,but out of envy and resentment that I was not following the herd like they were.A lot of people really seem to feel threatened when you cut your own path.Time has proven my suspicions correct.I often get comments on how I look young for my age,whereas many of my past detractors actually look older than what they are,in no small part to all the crap they consume.I am living with a girl who is everything I could ever want,whereas some of these folks are still frequenting the same shitty nightclubs.I have a rental property that is virtually paying itself off,my girlfriend and I live a pretty comfortable life.I am no rockefeller,I still have heaps more goals to fulfill,but I am happy and feel like I am making progress.One thing I have observed over and over is that many people who like to give the impression they are having a great time,going out,fancy threads,drinking (and doing drugs) to get in a’party’ mood etc, are often the emptiest,loneliest,least content people.

I also sometimes find myself feeling constricted when I am in the company of others,usually people who I am not close too (most of my friends are a pretty decent,productive bunch with views similar to mine).If I have some time to blow I will pull out whatever book I am currently reading,where as others will sit there and talk about such banalities as celebrity divorces,star signs,what happened on the soapies last night etc,and I’ll be thinking ‘get a life for fuck’s sake…’

Thanks for your concern 1, but I do not feel that I am struggling. I think you have the impression that I am cloistered person, when that is not true. I purposely limit my relationships for some of the reasons you list. I don’t have a girlfriend or family that I am neglecting. The few people that I choose to surround myself with mean very much to me, and I do consider how my actions effect them, though that considerations is not what drives me everyday. These people know what I am about and many of them share my drive. I guess we will just have to disagree about a few things. I don’t think my life will or should be judged by the volume of people at my proverbial death bed. I also don’t believe that I have have stepped on tears to get where I am, why does success have to come at someone else’s expense? When I stated that I was getting the idea, I was referring to Chris’ discussion of scheduling some down or off time. No, I have never studied Covey or Erickson but I am not big on accepting philosophies or credes as dogma, though I may read some of their writings as a result of this thread. As far as finding happinees through my ego, I am not searching for happiness, I already posess it. The reason I started this thread was not because I felt there is something wrong with me, but because I think there is something wrong with everyone else. I ask others what they think because it is obvious a lot of us on this forum share some of the same character traits and wondered if anyone else felt this way. I never stated that I do not care what ALL others think, there are some on this website who, based only on their postings, have points of view I respect. Of course I have a need for relationship and connection, and simply wanted to use the vehicle that is this forum to exchange ideas with a wider scope of thoughts than I will encounter in everyday conversation. And finally, regarding your P.S., what makes you think I do things in an effort to be different, special, or unique? This may very well be the result, but it is not the motivation. I choose my goals and pursue them feriouciously (sp?). Can you imagine the kind of a planet we would have if everyone were as driven as me? I wish everyone was more like that. Again thanks for your concern, but I think it is misplaced. (Man it is getting deep in here).