T-Nationers In The Military

There has already been ALOT of good advice thrown out there. So listen to it all! Make sure you keep copies of everything!!! I mean EVERYTHING. Also see your recruiter with someone who has served in that particular branch before. It helps alot because the recruiter will not throw as much b.s. at you.

I have been in the Army for almost 4 years now as enlisted as a combat medic, currently deployed with a quick responce force infantry group. Being a combat medic I have been the the field with Tankers, Field Artillery, and foot infantry.

My advice to you would be to just join for a short contract first, like 2 years as an enlisted and see what you think. This works very well for the Navy because they tend to have ALOT of educational opportunities for you!

Then you can still go to school and get enlisted experience, if you want to be an officer then become one. You will already have 2 years as enlisted which will make you a MUCH better officer, (from cases that I have always seen). The best officers I have ever seen have always been enlised first.

Also keep in mind what kind of career you want, not all branched will let you pick your mos. So basicaly if you want to be a lifer I would look into Army or Navy, if you want to live a crazy life for awhile, go Marines, if you want to be bored you can be Air Force, sorry had to.
But every branch has there ass kicker groups, Rangers, S.F., airborne units…
So get as much info as you can and sort it out to make your choice. I think the military is a great life, the deployments suck ass if you let em, but there are alot of good things the military can offer, I have done things no civilian could dream of. Good Luck
Dastang

[quote]dastang23 wrote:
Then you can still go to school and get enlisted experience, if you want to be an officer then become one. You will already have 2 years as enlisted which will make you a MUCH better officer, (from cases that I have always seen). The best officers I have ever seen have always been enlised first.
Dastang[/quote]

Devildog,
See? Again this comes up. However, I can understand. This is the Army way, where the vast majority of Army officer cadet training is done by officers. That is not how the Marine Corps operates.

[quote]Michael C wrote:
dastang23 wrote:
Dastang

Devildog,
See? Again this comes up. However, I can understand. This is the Army way, where the vast majority of Army officer cadet training is done by officers. That is not how the Marine Corps operates. [/quote]

Being prior enlisted will score you a couple of points with your troops initially, but, being a fair, competent, and loyal leader will be what matters over the long haul. I’ve had good and bad prior enlisted commanders, one guy thought he knew it all because he had made E-5 as a supply sergeant in two years, but wouldn’t take any advice from our platoon sergeants(E-7’s of at least 14 years in service) and we were aviation. Totally different track, which made things difficult because he was used to a different way of doing things that totally fucked us. Also a bit of propensity for dicksucking with his higher ups that put us in situations where he was volunteering for more work and missions than we could realistically accomplish.

Either way, take advice from your NCO’s into account, put your troops first, and move out and draw fire. I still stand by my earlier advice of going the ROTC route if you plan on making the military a career.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Being prior enlisted will score you a couple of points with your troops initially, but, being a fair, competent, and loyal leader will be what matters over the long haul. [/quote]

Exactly. I got “judged” initially because I had no prior enlisted experience. However, I also get along with enlisted, for possibly the most important reason, that I don’t act as if they are on unequal ground. The fact that I am close to the ages of most of them that work around me doesn’t hurt either. I understand that I can learn alot from them and I make sure that they know where I’m coming from. I ask them more questions than anyone else simply because they know how the system works. That comes from an individual’s personality and isn’t something you can train for anyway. It requires respect for those who rank below you and everyone else.

I had two buddies of mine join the navy out of high school. Here’s what they’d tell you: if the recruiter makes you any promises, make sure he puts them in writing before you enlist.

They were both recruited under false promises and last I heard both were trying to get out.

Lots of good advice and differing opinions.

I have 22 years of service, 10 years enlisted and 12 years commissioned. So I have seen “both sides.”

You are only as good as your last days work. What you did “this one time at band camp” doesn’t mean crap. Everyday you have to earn your right to lead. This can only be accomplished through unyielding dedication to men and mission.

I have had the honor of serving with some great Officers, some prior service some not. I have also served with some duds, again some prior service some not.

All of the Services have opportunities that will boggle your mind. Each has their part of the battlefield and these days no one service can stand alone.

Enlisted or Officer, you alone will determine what kind of leader you will be. Which ever you decide be careful of who you seek council from, and don’t only listen to those who praise you. Some of the best lessons I have learned came in the middle of a major ass chewing.

Good Luck.

Consider joining the military and have them pay for your education. When I was in college, several of my classmates were ROTC or on VA payment. There are several options. Good luck.

i have heard some extreme stories about what the men do in camp and training. some are intimidating. some are inspiring. i think the service if right for me, you guys have given tons of help, “just dunno about the enlisted life”. lots of work, i will keep doing my best, thanks for the information

[quote]Devil0351Dog wrote:

As far as being an officer, I know that we have a few on this site, and I don’t want to step on their toes, but for me, I’d want to be enlisted BEFORE becomming an officer. You would really have a sense of what the junior Marines go through and you may in some cases find it easier to earn the respect of your enlisted Marines (esspecially in this age of 18 year old combat vets…).

[/quote]

It has been said that the rank of gunnery sergeant Marine Corps is probably the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a man - certainly better than Senator, Judge or President - and even higher than Commandant, US Marine Corps.

For my own part, I was a grunt in the Army, first as an infantryman and then as a cavalry scout. I joined when I was 16 on the delayed entry option, and had the time of my life. I, too was hot little ball of patriotism back then, twenty-some years ago. If I remember correctly, I saw Rambo and walked straight from the movie theater to the recruiter’s office. Ahhh, to be young and stupid.

Not at all to imply that the original poster is stupid. Simply to suggest that he examine his reasons for wanting to join up.

Is it to carry on a family tradition? No problem with that. My ancestors fought in the Revolution, the Civil War, and both World Wars.

Is it because you love your country, and want to defend her and her Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic? Cool. That’s one of the reasons I joined. I’d take a long look at current events if I were you, and decide for yourself if that is the way our military is currently being used.

Is it because you want to be a lean, mean killin’ machine, kickin’ ass like you never seen? Outstanding. That’s the other reason I joined. If that is the case, I have two words for you: Marine Corps. In hindsight, that’s the route I wish I had gone.

Is it because you want to get money for college on the G.I. Bill? Hmmm. Naah, You’d be better off washing cars over the summer! :slight_smile:

Good luck to you. I know you’ll make the right decision. Drive on with a hard-on, and keep us posted!

Ok, I’m going to tell a little story. Once upon a time, there was this little shit head knowitall kid (me)and he wanted to kick a lot of ass. So, his plan was to do NROTC and become a Marine Officer. Well, the NROTC program was a joke and I quit before I got started. So, my best friend dropped out of college to join the Navy active duty.

So his mom asks me what I was doing with the military and I tell her that I don’t want anything to do with it if it runs anything like the ROTC program. And she gives a disappointed look.
“Why?”
“I never thought I’d hear you say you didn’t want to serve your country.” Well that did it. I called the recruiter the next day.
“I want MP reserves on a split school.”

“All we have open right now for split school in the reserves is motor-T and mortorman.”
“Thanks anyway, I’ll see what the Coast Guard can offer me.” :wink: I know how these bastards work. I got a call the next day.

“A slot just opened up for MP, but you have to jump on it right away.” Yeah right, but it was what I wanted. So, I did 6 yrs in the Marine Reserves including a tour in Iraq when everything kicked off in 2003. During that time I decided that I really wanted to fly.

There is nothing like a section of Cobras flying overhead providing close air support. I knew I wanted to be that guy. So, here I am now in Pensacola, FL going through flight training. There are 2 types of officers: pilots and those that wanted to be pilots. (I kid, I kid).

Honestly though, the reserves was a great move for me. I still got to where I wanted to go with just a few extra detors and a lot of experience. The enlisted experience did me a lot of good as an officer. Not because it wins me instant respect with the enlisted bubbas, but because honestly I probably would have been pretty weak mentally and physically if I hadn’t. This isn’t to say that my way is the best way for you. Just wanted to share an anecdote that may be useful to you.

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt 1945

Hoss

I’m an active duty Navy Officer (Lieutenant Commander) and have been commissioned since 1992. I spent 13 years prior to that as an enlisted sailor. I’m what many call a mustang. Add it all up, 26 years in the NAV.
My points:

Enlisted men perform as mechanics, technicians, operators of highly advanced equipment such as the FA-18 Super Hornets in my squadron (32 of them). You begin doing simpler maintenance, cleaning, lubing, adjustments, etc…and gradually over time gain the skill to troublehsoot and repair systems.

The pay is pretty good, the hours are definitely longer than most civilians are used to, but you adjust. You go through boot camp, some initial training at another location and proceed to your first command, either at sea or ashore. All of this is a major adjustment and is alot to take on at first.

One of the great things about the military is the comaradrie that develops with those you work with to meet common goals, fix aircraft, watch it take off and go kill something, come back tell us about it. Another great thing is the travel all over the world. Drawbacks are: alot of time away from home, transferring to new command every 2-3 years, the nature of our deployments have changed to be more responsive and can be less predicatible.

The biggest choice comes down to whether you are looking for a profession in arms - Marines, Army, Seals, etc… or you want to be another type of warrior -pilot, ship driver, sub driver. If this is the case, you need to complete college and go ROTC or get a commission after you graduate and go to Officer Candidate School.

I’m an Aerospace Engineering Duty Officer (Aviation Maintenance). I’m am in charge of the Maintenance Department of 390 people. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine doing this at the beginning of my career. Most of us grow, gain education, experience and advance. Those that don’t expend alot of effort to continue to do this, eventually reach a paygrade where they remain.

I finished my bachelors degree while I was stationed ashore for 3 years, tough stuff working full time and going to school taking 3-4 courses per semester or quarter. My advice is go to college, talk to more miltary folks of all types, but realize, the longer you remain, advance the more privileges, benefits arise as a because of your rank. Tremendous responsibility comes with all of the bennies.

One of the things that convinced me to get a commission was the analogy, do you want ot work for the railroad or help run it??? After bad-mouthing many of my bosses, I decided to become part of the solution instead of a bitcher. Now I know I’m capable of much more than I ever imagined and I remind myself of this whenever things get tough and I want to quit.

Well Varq it’s a mix of almost all of those, I don’t need money for college, my parents don’t make enough money to where I could get some grants, and I could go to some craphole New Mexican school for free with a GPA of 3.5 and 26 ACT. Everyday I look in the mirror and serving the USA is now something that is appearing i HAVE to do. Whichever service takes my fancy at my time of duty will just be up to probably if I want the commission or enlistment.

You marines and navies that replied, I thank you alot that was a lot of great reading. Hopefully one of these days I can be up there in a portrait with some stripes and ole glory sittin behind me. (some wings on my collar :slight_smile: ) peace

Really think things through before you make any decisions. Best of luck kid. RLTW

rangertab75

Hey fellas, I’d like to drop another quick line before the holidays and just give a quick thanks. HATS OFF TO OUR MEN AND WOMEN OUT THERE. You guys are my heros and I just thank you for even given me an oppurtunity to defend A country, keep up the excellent work, hope all goes well here on out.