T-Nationers: Heavy Music!

Whats up my T-brethren. My band finished tracking some songs and have them available to check out on the web. It’s heavy music that I hope at least some of you will enjoy and even download to take with you to the gym! Check it out and let me know what you think.

www.purevolume.com/closedhandpromise

www.closedhandpromise.com

This caught my attention RIGHT AWAY! Good shtuff, my man! I know how it is, people always say nice stuff to your face and then talk shit about you later, but I like this stuff! I’d buy it / bump it!

With that being said, I’m gonna hijack your thread to talk about my bands again. If you like the heaviness, check out this one out here.

If you like heavy stuff, but maybe not as heavy as that one, try this. This one’s not actually doing anything anymore, but we are still finishing up a CD to release sometime.

I also notice you’re in TX. We’re in the planning stage of a summer tour to support our next release and are focusing on southern / eastern US. We have serious roots in Louisiana, but hail from Colorado. Maybe we can come thru and do a show with you guys on the tour? PM me or contact me thru the sites.

Good shit again, man!

cool.
funny though. I didn’t now there was heavy metal in Austin.
Goes to show me!
You guys ever meet Slaid Cleeves or Gary Primich while you’re out and about?

I’ll be honest: its good but sounds like every other hardcore band out there.

Tear shit up/ sing real sweet-like/tear some more shit up/ have a nice mellow guitar solo/ you guessed it, tear shit up again

I dunno, I’ve sorta gotten to the point in hardcore where only some bands impress me.

I’m not saying you guys aren’t talented, the music is just too run-of-the-mill.

Well, I guess if you asked which band I’d go see, I’d rather see LowFatMatt’s. That’s some good shit bro.

Yeah bro good stuff. I like the Meanwhile.
Im a drummer out of Florida, I wish I had some tunes to swap with you but I am currently with out a band.
Good luck and post any future plans maybe I could help you hook up with some bands in florida if you guys ever want to come through for a show.
DA

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
I’ll be honest: its good but sounds like every other hardcore band out there.

Tear shit up/ sing real sweet-like/tear some more shit up/ have a nice mellow guitar solo/ you guessed it, tear shit up again

I dunno, I’ve sorta gotten to the point in hardcore where only some bands impress me.

I’m not saying you guys aren’t talented, the music is just too run-of-the-mill.[/quote]

I assume you were talking abut CHP, because all we do is heavy in ASA. No singing, no guitar solos. Heavy. That is all.

But I do like to listen to all types of stuff, and I think this CHP is pretty good. Definitely the style that the kiddies like nowadays!

storey you know of a band called furkloven in austin not heavy metal but a pretty big austin based band they are adding a new guitarist and changing their sound if you know who they are PM me

Those are some good tunes to crank up during tonight’s workout.

It takes alot to get me to pull Slayer’s “Reign in Blood” out of the CD player, but I like the energy in those tracks.

LFMatt, yeah, ASA kicks ass.

When the T-Nation radio first came out I listened to the song you guys had on there until I got sick of it. Definitely good shit.

Keep it hard.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
LFMatt, yeah, ASA kicks ass.

When the T-Nation radio first came out I listened to the song you guys had on there until I got sick of it. Definitely good shit.

Keep it hard.
[/quote]

Right on! There are more ASA and Typecast songs in the Spike Radio feature on GetSpike.com. We have plenty of material recorded, but I didn’t want to saturate all our sites w/ all my band’s stuff. :wink:

There is more stuff on our site and our MySpace page as well. Enjoy!

\m/

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:

It takes alot to get me to pull Slayer’s “Reign in Blood” out of the CD player, but I like the energy in those tracks. [/quote]

Man, do I ever hear you there!! Slayer owns!

Oh, and storey420, I was serious. I like your stuff a lot! What is your role in CHP?

Hardcore’s the best. The cool thing about it is that, unlike most music, it has more than just two or three arrangements per song. Each part changes a little, except the chorus, and sort of makes you get lost in the song. It’s just so precise and calcualated. I love it!

Unlike most music it’s got more than two or three arrangements per song? Sorry, but hardcore hardly ever has more than a few. It’s very cookie-cutter for the most part. That’s partly why it’s become so popular lately, kinda like Chrismcl mentioned above. It’s formulaic and more accessible to the general public. Some of the originators of hardcore do it right, but everyone else are simply rehashing the same stuff.

Want some heavy, and more technically arranged, music? Check out some death metal like old Atheist, Cynic, Morbid Angel, and a number of other bands.

Or better yet, try taking on some incredible black metal like Emperor, Leviathan, Blut Aus Nord, and more.

[quote]Lohryx5 wrote:
Unlike most music it’s got more than two or three arrangements per song? Sorry, but hardcore hardly ever has more than a few. It’s very cookie-cutter for the most part. That’s partly why it’s become so popular lately, kinda like Chrismcl mentioned above. It’s formulaic and more accessible to the general public. Some of the originators of hardcore do it right, but everyone else are simply rehashing the same stuff.

Want some heavy, and more technically arranged, music? Check out some death metal like old Atheist, Cynic, Morbid Angel, and a number of other bands.

Or better yet, try taking on some incredible black metal like Emperor, Leviathan, Blut Aus Nord, and more.[/quote]

There are bands that use the templated / cookie cutter approach regardless of style. I don’t think style dictates how bands structure their stuff.

We consider ourselves hardcore but only as a general style. Hardcore music, not necessarily hardcore like NYHC or anything.

And we go back and forth on how we structure stuff. Sometimes a basic structure is needed, but other times we feel like writing something off the wall.

It’s never really about “hey, let’s do A, B, A, B, C, D, A, B…”, it’s about what comes out when you are writing.

I come from a death metal background. I haven’t heard anyone mention Cynic or Atheist in years! I love those bands. I grew up listening to them and Death, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Deicide, etc. I like newer stuff well as like Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, and even In Flames. I’m also strangely drawn to Behemoth. (Not that any of those bands are necessarily “new”, but they have been gaining popularity lately.)

I think the thing is, and it’s an argument we get into frequently, is your definition of Hardcore. Hardcore as in the traditional, specific sense (Madball, Earth Crisis, etc) or hardcore as a general umbrella of heavy music.

Well I’ll toss this one in for the hell of it…

Lostinreflection.net

That’s my band. Our name is Lost In Thought. Check it out…

CHP…

I dig the heavy double bass, always have. The singer sounds a little Fred Durst-ish, not saying its necessarily a bad thing but I recognized the parody right away. Kind of like Wil Martin of Earshot sounding like Maynard Keenan of Tool.

ASA…

Good heavy stuff, I like you guys a lot. My tastes have drifted to more eclectic music lately except when I work out, but it’s good to see that there is still good hardcore stuff out there. No power balads coming out of either of those two bands…

GAINER

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:
I’m also strangely drawn to Behemoth. ([/quote]

Behemoth fucking rocks! I am also digging on High On Fire, Mastodon, and In Flames.

[quote]Lohryx5 wrote:

Or better yet, try taking on some incredible black metal like Emperor, Leviathan, Blut Aus Nord, and more.[/quote]

Three words:

Dillinger Escape Plan

I’ll give infos about my band too!
its hardcore nothing else

www.acesandeights.qchc.com