T-Nation Response on Soy Article

I would love to see what T-Nation has to say about the Soy products mentioned in this AP article I saw on yahoo. It looks like they are finding more ways to replace one bad thing in our food supply with another bad thing.

By Nichola Groom

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -Kellogg Co., the world’s largest cereal maker, said on Friday it plans to reduce artery-clogging trans fats in some of its products and called on others to invest in a new variety of soybean oil it said is healthier than other trans-fat-free oils.

But a senior executive said that the variety of soy oil it sees as a healthier alternative is not yet fully available for use in all of the company’s snack foods.

In an interview, President and Chief Operating Officer David Mackay said Kellogg was committed to using low linolenic soybean oil because, unlike other oils, it does not alter the taste of food and doesn’t increase levels of saturated fat.

“The issue is really availability,” Mackay said, adding that there was not yet enough supply to be able to reformulate the company’s Keebler cookies.

As a result, Kellogg said it is calling on farmers, seed producers and rival food companies to help increase the supply of low linolenic soybeans used to make oils like Vistive.

The Battle Creek, Michigan-based company also said it will work with a Bunge-DuPont joint venture to increase production of its version of the oil, called Nutrium.

About 80 million pounds of low linolenic soybean oil were expected to be produced in 2005, though that is expected to climb to 400 million pounds in 2006, according to the Institute of Shortening and Edible Oils.

Food manufacturers are using less traditional soy oil because it needs to be partially hydrogenated. Many have begun using palm oil, which contains no trans fats but is unpopular among nutritionists because it is higher in cholesterol-raising saturated fat than soy oil.

“It’s not better to substitute palm oil to get the trans fats out,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition and food studies at New York University.

Mackay said Kellogg’s use of the new soybean oil would allow it to “keep the saturated fats relatively stable … we would like to keep the fat content exactly the same.”

IT WAS my understanding that soy oil is ok, just not soy protein. I might be wrong…

non-hydrogenated palm oil, like non-hydrogenated coconut oil, is a WAAAY better alternative to soy oil, which is unhealthy whether it’s hydrogenated or not. Soy oil can inhibit thyroid function and contribute to fat gain, even in it’s raw state. It’s also unstable when heated at high temperatures.

Palm oil is saturated, sure, but how many of the forum readers are unconcerned with saturated fat when they eat their steak, or eggs or butter? Saturated fat isn’t so harmful if it’s eaten as part of a balanced diet that also includes unprocessed monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (especially omega-3) fats. Plus saturated fat is way more stable for heating - and processed foods are almost always processed with heat.

As for low-linolenic soy oil… not sure about that. Sounds like yet another money-grabbing marketing ploy concocted by the soy industry. Whenever industries ‘create’ a new oil, (like any new ‘must-have’ product that’s supposedly better than the real thing), I have to question it. But especially the soy industry, which has become very adept at over-hyping the benefits of its product, creating new products (soy milk, soy dogs, soy icecream), and taking over the processed food market.

Peruse this list of DuPont’s Products. I don’t think I’d want to eat any of their shit.

|/ 3Toes

Browse all products and services by:

A| B| C| D| E| F| G| H| I| J| K| L| M| N| O| P| Q| R| S| T| U| V| W| X| Y| Z| 0-9
Welcome to DuPont Products and Services
Consumer Products

At the core of thousands of applications in our world are ingredients that have origins in DuPont science and innovation. Here, you’ll find such DuPont products ? and their associative applications ?that are part of our everyday lives.

?Consumer Products & Brands
Additives & Modifiers

Fluoropolymer Additives

Polymer Modifiers
Adhesives & Binders

Polymer Adhesives
Building & Construction Materials, Maintenance Supplies

Carpet & Flooring Products

Safety Glass Interlayers

Sandblasting Materials
Surfacing Materials & Installation Products

Weatherization Systems
Chemicals

Cleaning Solvents

Fluorochemicals

Lubricants

Monomers
Consultative Products & Services

Environmental

Safety Products & Consulting Services
Crop Seeds & Inoculants

Inoculants

Seeds
Crop, Plant, & Pest Management Products

Defoliants

Fire Ant Bait

Fungicides

Herbicides
Insecticides

Miticides

Plant Growth Regulators
Display Materials

Color Filters

Display Circuit Materials

Electroluminescent Materials

Via Fill Paste & Shielding Materials
Electronic & Electrical Materials

Ceramic Circuit Materials

Electrical Materials

Embedded Passives

Flexible/Rigid-Flex Circuit Materials

Microlithographic Polymer Films
Printed Circuit Board Materials

Semiconductor Fabrication Materials

Semiconductor Packaging Materials
Films

Fluoropolymer Films

Phototooling Films
Filtration & Separation Materials

Air, Gas & Liquid Filtration Materials
Food & Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance Products

Animal Health Solutions

Cleaning & Disinfection Products

Food Risk Assessment

Pharmaceutical Risk Assessment
Fuel Cell Components

Conductive Plates

Membrane Electrode Assemblies

Membranes & Dispersions
Packaging Materials

Envelopes

Food Packaging Systems

Lidding Materials

Medical Packaging
Packaging Films

Resins

Sealants
Paint, Coatings & Finishes

Automotive Custom Finishes

Automotive OEM Coatings

Automotive Refinish Coatings

Aviation Coatings

Ceramic Coatings

Commercial Transportation Coatings
Industrial Coatings

Powder Coatings

Recreational Transportation Coatings

Surface Preparation
Performance Fibers & Fabrics

Fabrics

Fibers
Photovoltaic Components

Encapsulants

Flexible Panel Materials

Glass Solar Panel Materials

Weather Resistant Sheeting
Pigments & Colorants

Paint & Coatings Pigments

Paper Pigments

Plastics Pigments

Specialties Pigments
Plastics, Polymers & Elastomers

Elastomers

Engineering Thermoplastics

Ethylene Copolymers

Filaments, Parts, & Shapes
Films & Sheets

Fluoropolymers

Functionalized Polymers
Printing & Proofing Materials

Digital Printing Systems

Digital Textile Printing Materials

Flexographic Photopolymer Plates & Sleeves

Inkjet Printers

Inks
Mounting Systems

Plate Making Systems

Printing Substrates

Proofing Systems
Protective Apparel & Accessories

Accessories

Antiseptics and Disinfectants

Ballistic Protection

Chemical & Hazmat Protection Apparel

Cleanroom Protection

Cut & Puncture Protection
Dry Particulate & Light Splash Protection

Electric Arc & Flash Fire Protection

Firefighter Protection

Racing Protection
Wire & Cable Materials

Fire Extinguishants

Limited Combustible Cabling Material

Wire Insulating & Coating Materials

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
Peruse this list of DuPont’s Products. I don’t think I’d want to eat any of their shit.

[/quote]

That stuff isn’t that bad. Hell, I drank drano once and after a week in the I.C.U., another week in regular care and 6 months of reconstructive surgery, I was in prety good shape. Great way to cut weight- destroy the eusophagus.
Wouldn’t recomend that though.

On topic- Dave Barr recently mentioned that there is a soy oil combo that looks very interesting in a good way.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

On topic- Dave Barr recently mentioned that there is a soy oil combo that looks very interesting in a good way.
[/quote]

Really? Interesting. I just wish this giant food companies would stop messing with everything we eat. The have no guilt in jamming it into the supply unless the FDA says no. I try to stay away from Soy so this scares me, of course I try to stay away from trans-fats too. I would suppose heart disease from man made fats is worse than bitch tits and a tiny scrotum due to soy.

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:

|/ 3Toes

Browse all products and services…

[/quote]

Fire ant bait? WTF?

Oh, and screw the referenced nutritionist, I’d much rather eat a spoonful of beef tallow then a spoonful of trans fat soy oil.

NO.,. NO oils are bad before the are molested and processed.

I do beleive soy oil is a main ingredient in that new enova stuff.

Its just that Most 80 some % of it is hydrogenated here in thwe USA. NOT GOOD

[quote]moderatextreme wrote:

Really? Interesting. I just wish this giant food companies would stop messing with everything we eat. The have no guilt in jamming it into the supply unless the FDA says no. I try to stay away from Soy so this scares me, of course I try to stay away from trans-fats too. I would suppose heart disease from man made fats is worse than bitch tits and a tiny scrotum due to soy.
[/quote]

I can appreciate the sentiment on the lack of scruples when it comes to fillers, emulsifiers, and some of the other waste products that get passed off as food. Just because it’s edible doesn’t mean it’s food.
The bitch tits and shriveled scrotum though- Thats easy- I’ll take a heart attack with a side of stroke.

[quote]Phill wrote:
NO.,. NO oils are bad before the are molested and processed.

I do beleive soy oil is a main ingredient in that new enova stuff.

Its just that Most 80 some % of it is hydrogenated here in thwe USA. NOT GOOD
[/quote]

in studies, non-hydrogenated soy oil fed to pigs caused them to gain more fat, calorie for calorie, than coconut oil (granted, i found the reference on a site promoting coconut oil). for an ecto, i guess fat gain isn’t bad. for many of us, it’s not ideal. plus, soy oil interferes with thyroid function (the two are probably linked).