T-Nation Post Workout Meals

Ok, so you know the drill: One week someobody’s telling you to have a PWO meal the minute you stop lifting, the next week it’s within the hour, the next week it’s within 2 hours, etc.

I’m not really here to debate over any of these theories, but rather to get an idea of what some successful vets eat for post-workout nutrition.

Immediately post workout two scoops Surge one scoop Biotest Creatine and three to four BCAA’s.

Within one and half to two hours later a whole food meal consisting of about thirty to forty grams of protein (Meat) with a heaping helping of vegetables and maybe a another carb such as potatoes, pasta, or whole wheat bread. This is done consistently.

D

for me… on the Anabolic diet…

2 scoops protein.

then

16oz kc strip…

best post workout meal ever.

[quote]alownage wrote:
Ok, so you know the drill: One week someobody’s telling you to have a PWO meal the minute you stop lifting, the next week it’s within the hour, the next week it’s within 2 hours, etc.

I’m not really here to debate over any of these theories, but rather to get an idea of what some successful vets eat for post-workout nutrition.[/quote]

Surge, choclate milk w/whey, a scoop of whey and some fat-free frozen yogurt. Anything that’s liquid (or almost liquid, i.e., frozen yogurt), low in fat and high in sugar works. Be creative.

[quote]alownage wrote:

I’m not really here to debate over any of these theories, but rather to get an idea of what some successful vets eat for post-workout nutrition.[/quote]

Recently i’ve been having about 250ml of fresh fruit juice immediately upon finishing my workout. Then 20 mins later(after my shower), 3 scoops of Surge with a little extra whey protein and 6 Boitest BCAA pills.

The Surge def helps recovery

First of all, I choose not to purchase Surge for purely financial reasons, but recognize that it is surely superior to any concoction I could possibly create on my own.
This disclaimer is soley to help prevent people from totally freaking out and telling me I should allocate my funds differently, maybe I should, but if I could I WOULD.

That said, I’ve been fairly sucessful with my personal post workout shake, which I asap after training.
1 1/2 scoops whey protein (~45g)
5g creatine
~90g simple sugars coming from gatorade concentrate and pure maltodextrin
12oz milk
a tbsp greens+ (when its around)

About one hour later its a high carb, high protein meal (roughly 60/40 spilt), then an hour after this meal its a high protein, high fat meal. Beyond this I just eat, with a high protein, high fat meal before hitting the sack (and a couple ZMA’s).

Surge during

Immediate post w/o FOOD. example today

Fish
veggies
parm cheese
olive oil
Flameout
Pear and
Metabolic Drive

For optimizing all aspects of muscle growth and recovery, info in the following still holds: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666

Of course ‘biochemically optimal’ is not always the most comfortable.

Short version: pre workout still kicks PWO’s ass.

Edit: My latest Article Insider is about Supplements for Recovery, available from http://www.RaiseTheBarr.net

If it wasn’t a namby-pamby day then Surge post workout. I just can’t be arsed to carry a container around the gym with me every day.

A serving of Surge during my workout then a serving of Surge immediately afterwards.

1.5 hours later, a turkey sandwich, a bigass bowl of whole wheat pasta, skim milk, and a banana.

[quote]vroom wrote:
If it wasn’t a namby-pamby day then Surge post workout. I just can’t be arsed to carry a container around the gym with me every day.[/quote]

Who says namby-pamby?

I never do Surge Pre or During, only Post. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with recovery. Sorry Dave but I just can’t buy into the need for Surge Pre-Workout. I’ve done it (pre only) and actually noticed a reduction in recovery ability, plus I hate having to piss in the middle of squatting, especially once I get it all setup. You walk away- you lose your spot. Now I could see doing it pre, during, and post, but that would get expensive.

In fact, I never do anything during but a little bit of water. I’m like vroom, I hate carrying anything around with me in the gym. For Pre I’ll eat one or two Metabolic Drive bars, or something with solid protein in it and down 6 BCAA caps. Post I’ll do 3 scoops Surge (the new formula where 3 is the normal serving size), Creatine, and 6 more BCAA caps.

[quote]hardwork wrote:
A serving of Surge during my workout then a serving of Surge immediately afterwards.

1.5 hours later, a turkey sandwich, a bigass bowl of whole wheat pasta, skim milk, and a banana.[/quote]

A whole banana or just 0.9 of a banana. It makes a difference.

For pre-workout I like to have some protein in the digestive tract, but I don’t like a meal right before going to the gym.

As for namby-pamby, it sounded funny, sue me.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
hardwork wrote:

1.5 hours later, a turkey sandwich, a bigass bowl of whole wheat pasta, skim milk, and a banana.

A whole banana or just 0.9 of a banana. It makes a difference.[/quote]

LOL. Somebody posted that before, right? I vaguely remember this…

BTW thanks for the responses, keep em comin, along with anything else that you notice helps with recovery.

I will eat a small somewhat high carb meal about 30 to 45 minutes before working out. I then have 5 grams Biotest BCAA’s about 15 minutes before training. I have messed around with the preworkout meal and have found that Surge makes me sick to my stomach when I am working out and a really big meal just makes my feel full and sluggish. I find that I lift the best when I have nailed all of my meals starting with breakfast. I can tell a difference if I miss a meal.

During workout - 5 grams Biotest BCAA’s

Post Workout - 3 scoops Surge and 5 grams creatine. 5 grams Biotest BCAA’s. Just starting using the Biotest and really like it. No grit at all.

Somewhere within 45 minutes to an hour and a half later, I have a solid meal consisting of 60ish grams of protein and about 65 or so grams of carbs.

About 2 hours later, I have a 2 scoop Banana Cream and 1 scoop Chocolate Low-Carb Metabolic Drive shake and then off to bed a little while later.

I just noticed that the Tip of the Day is about Recovery: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1344513

Good stuff! :slight_smile:

Hey look it is OH MY GOD INSTANTANEOUS BONER

Man, you guys gotta be careful with those PI’s. My dick just about jumped out of my pants.

My current regimen, I workout at 5am, goes like this:

Wake up, eat 1 cup of oatmeal along with a whey shake in whole, raw milk. (Yes, this matters to me). Wait about an hour, and head to the gym. During workout, I drink\eat nothing but water.

Post workout - whey shake and dextrose combo. 25g whey, 50g dex. Within 1 hour, or once I get to work, my daily PWO meal has been 6 scrambled eggs, 4 strips of bacon, and two slices of Ezekiel bread.

Workouts\recovery\strength gains have been GREAT over the past few months.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
For optimizing all aspects of muscle growth and recovery, info in the following still holds: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666

Of course ‘biochemically optimal’ is not always the most comfortable.

Short version: pre workout still kicks PWO’s ass.

Edit: My latest Article Insider is about Supplements for Recovery, available from http://www.RaiseTheBarr.net [/quote]

That was a great article. One of the girls gave me the link recently and it was very helpful in determining my pre and post workout meals.

Claire